Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Proper placement is the premier ingredient in gaining top subwoofer performance. That said, even correct placement is enhanced most by multiple subs. PEQ of one sub can't quite measure up, IMHO.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Doh!

I didn't realise it was a multi choice poll, but I chose 2 or 4 subs.

Nearfield has worked well for me, but I don't enjoy music like this. Having 2 or 4 subs (or more, but an even number, such as 28 :D ) would be ideal. I would only use an EQ AFTER everything is placed properly.

SheepStar

D

digital_dreamer

Audiophyte
Because room acoustics play the most dominate role in bass response (aside from having a good sub from SVS :p), subwoofer placement and/or taming the in-room bass response curve via EQ are among the best methods for producing a smooth response.

IMHO, of course. :D

regards,
MAJ

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Location, location, location. Placement is the #1 issue by far. After that I would say an EQ to help smooth out any in room response issues. A good EQ could also help people that can't, for whatever reason, use the optimum placement in their room.

Steve

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
After experimenting with the placement of my sub, I noticed dramatic differences in the sound with only small position adjustments. Also, I believe having two subs can can make a big difference for stereo music.

S

sdheda

Audiophyte
I believe that proper placement is essential in getting the best response out of a sub. However, in my case, as well as others, furniture arrangement prevents optimal placement.

Another important thing is dialing in the sub, i.e. the cutoff freq and volume on the sub and receiver is critical. A sub that is not properly dialed in will not be able to benefit from the best placement.

C

Chris Reehl

Audiophyte
Placement is definitely key. I was surprised there was no option for a BFD (only auto-eq). Sometimes there are placement problems that can only be overcome by equalization.

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
placement is number 1, then using an eq. Also multiple subs will help

R

RamesesTG

Audiophyte
I think it's a combination of things. Proper placement is the most important thing. In a lot of cases proper acoustical treatment can make a world of difference (it has in my ht). Selecting a sub whose frequency response matches the rest of your speakers can also be a factor.

O

o3man

Audiophyte
room placement and eq are key to subwoofer performance.

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
I would think it is important to match the sub woofer to your needs. The right tool for the job so to speak.
And of course, crawling around the room in search of the good location is both effective and silly. That's silly, not dumb. Behave.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
smooth bass response

I would think proper placement of atleast 2 subs and some eq to smooth out any peaks would be the ideal setup for smooth/flat bass response

B

BTT917

Audioholic Intern
Proper placement of the subwoofer in the room, as well as choosing a good listening position, is important. Room treatments and EQ can be very helpful also.

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
Proper (actually ideal) placement of a subwoofer will give you the best performance based on your specific room characteristics. If this ideal choice isn't possible, EQing the sub is the only compensation a user really has. Both choices will yield the best results for each room's specific characeristics, short of bass traps/treatments.

D

ditty989

Audiophyte
My thoughts are that room placement is key, with equalization to smooth out the peaks of the response in that particular room. Or, you could just go nuts, and create a subfloor made of subs (pun intended). Nah.

M

mightywimp

Audiophyte
small apt.

Placement is the main key. I also understand that the use of two subs can be good at smoothing out bass. I live in a small apartment and I have a heck of a time with bass response, I use a B&W ASW600. My placement options are very limited. The floor is wood. I have recently started to use a product from Auralex called a Gramma. It's a simple carpeted platform with foam rails attached to the bottom. By isolating the sub it has done wonders for the bass response in my living room. I'm sure that the tenat downstairs loves it too.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I chose placement & EQ, but am also a big fan of 2 subs. Having a PB10-NSD would improve my room's bass.

D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
The proper room placement is the most important, using an eq to tame any nodes also will help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis