Enter to Win: Outdoor Speakers from Aperion Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
Soundbar with a sub.

I would choose this configuration because the second flat panel TV will be in a small den where space is a major concern. Beyond space constraints, this will not be used as a primary viewing location, but a secondary, and as such don't want to put too much time and effort into the location. Would really just be looking for something to fit the "better than the built in TV speakers" category.

W

wesley63

Junior Audioholic
* In wall 5.1 system

I would be far too worried about the planning that would have to happen to do all in wall speakers. I would always be thinking "what if that speaker were a few inches to the left."

* Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
* Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub

To choose between these two I have to ask a question: Is my wife involved in the decision?
If this were my system in my room, bookshelf speakers on stands and a great big subwoofer. Maybe front towers, but I prefer the monitor/stand look.
If this is a living room system (where the wife rules,) then she would want the least obtrusive/coolest looking system. I would consider a sound bar and sub that could hide.

* Smallest possible on wall solution

I am not really into the tiny speaker thing. Although, my wife loves the look of the Blows cubes. I would actually consider auditioning the Gallos or Orbs.

* Wireless surrounds or wireless system

I haven't come across any wireless system yet that gives me the sound quality that I want. This will eventually happen and I would love to have this in our living room.

Jim

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I would most likely go with a nice bookshelf system. With a flat panel set, the opportunity to easily implement three identical speakers across the front is too good to pass up! Install all of the equipment in an out of the way area, and you have a super clean setup as well.

In-walls... I like the idea, but I would prefer the flexibility of being able to move them around easily.

Soundbar?... mmmmm... no

Small on walls...too hard to get GOOD sound!

Wireless? Maybe, but you need a power supply for each speaker, and intigrating a full surround sound system into an existing receiver would be more complicated than it's worth (IMHO).

Last edited:
D

drrick

Enthusiast
I would probably consider either a 5.1 tower or bookshelf system or a soundbar with a sub. My current setup is a 5.1 tower/bookshelf system, and I think that's ideal, but in my living room, it might be nice to just have a soundbar (though a sub would be a must). I think I'd have a really tough time stepping down to a soundbar though.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I already have one flat panel TV so this would be my second. For a 2nd system I think I would go with a combination of front towers and center with in wall surrounds. This would be to please the wife. She somewhat approves of speakers next to the TV, she just does not looking at the surround speakers hanging on the wall next to a picture or mirror.

Not to interested in tiny on wall speakers.

A wireless system would be more of a pain because you would have to provide power via an extension cord or adding a outlet.

I also do not care for the simulated sound of a soundbar.

O

Old Jay

Audiophyte
I would consider:
# In wall 5.1 system
# Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
-- A 5.1 or 7.1 system with front towers would be my first choice, but a full bookshelf system might be an option if combined with the right subwoofer. I don't have any experience with in-wall speakers, but I'd consider them if the sound quality is up to par.

I would NOT consider:
# Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
# Smallest possible on wall solution
-- I would be very skeptical of the sound quality from a soundbar or very small speakers. If I'm going to buy a new set of speakers, they have to sound good.

I might consider:
# Wireless surrounds or wireless system
-- wireless would not be the primary selling point for me, but the addition of a reliable wireless connection for high-quality speakers would be a nice bonus.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I would go with a bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system. I want the best sound possible for my money, and unless the others have gotten better than the last time I listened to them, this is the best bang for the buck. It also allows flexibility in case the room changes or one made a mistake in initial placement (ever try moving an inwall speaker a couple of inches to the right? -- not to mention the fact that studs in the walls might be a problem for putting them in precisely the right locations).

K

kozkip

Audiophyte
Outdoor goodness - I hope I win!

If I had it all to do over again, I would look for an audiophile grade in wall or in/on wall solution for the surround setup. Keeping things up off the floor is helpful in houses with kids, grandkids or animals. There is simply a much smaller chance for damage or accidents.

It would be important to not sacrifice sound quality for aesthetics, which I believe is something Aperion Audio is completely capable of as they have demonstrated time and time again with innovative, great sounding products.

Thanks,
Steve

B

ben8171

Audiophyte
Bookshelf for sure

I would go 5.1 bookshelf , no need for a sub but additionally one really high definition center front channel and I'm good.

Thanks,
and Good Luck everyone!

H

Herb too

Audiophyte
My preference is front towers in a 5.1 system. I like the towers for when playing 2 channel audio. However, an in wall system is aesthetic and would be desirable in a small room, video only, application. Soundbars or anything simulated always have limits. Small is not good in speakers and sound reproduction.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
If I were purchasing a flat panel for the first time I would purchase Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system to go with it. I want to have the best audio presentation possible to pair with the new display. In most cases in wall speakers are a compromise audio-wise. I want speakers that extend flat down to at least 80 Hz.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
I wanna win a contest

Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?
Here are my opinions on these.......
1. In wall 5.1 system ONLY IF I GET FREE INSTALLATION

2. Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system YES, YES,YES, OR YES. EASIEST TO SET UP AND USUALLY SOUND BETTER

3. Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub NO..NOT MUCH EXPERIENCE HERE

4. Smallest possible on wall solution USUALLY NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE OF FIDELITY

5. Wireless surrounds or wireless system NO....BUT I'D BE WILLING TO GIVE THEM A SHOT

Other? BRAIN IMPLANTED SPEAKERS OR BRAIN CHIP.......YES

R

Robof83

Audioholic
I would go with the front towers and back bookshelves in 5.1, because I don't mind the extra room it takes up, and I believe that would give the best sound.

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic
Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system - everything else just seems to simulate this setup.

I'd like inwall speakers most likely too, but the work associated with that setup is not appealing.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Front towers and 7.1 and as long as were pretending, lets bump that up to 7.2 with a second Ultra! :)

D

diapuse

Audiophyte
Awesome! I have just the place for these Intimus Outdoor speakers...

In-Wall: If I were shopping for a projection solution instead of a flat-panel, I would be strongly inclined to buy an in-wall solution because at that point, I would be working on a dedicated theater. I would certainly want a center channel that was identical to the left and right channels.

Front-Tower/Bookshelf: If I were buying my first flat-panel, I would shop for a 5.1 front-tower setup (and definitely not a 7.1 setup because I don't believe there is enough truly 7.1 content to warrant it or that the added channels provide significant improvement over 5.1). Because most of my experience has been with direct radiating surrounds, I would go with di- or bi-pole surrounds this time. In fact, I would definitely spend that extra money on a second sub for a 5.2 setup.

Surround Bar: A surround bar option would only make sense for me if I were putting a flat-panel up in the office (we avoid electronics in the bedroom to minimize distraction ;)).

Smallest On-Wall: I would avoid the smallest possible on-wall system because the acoustical comprises would not make sense for me; I use my system almost exclusively for movies and require a large and deep soundstage. Additionally, when I begin to acoustically treat my room, I would not be able to put early-reflection absorbers behind the on-wall speakers.

Wireless: Wireless is a great idea, but I haven't yet seen a dependable solution that makes enough sense for me yet; one still needs to route power to the speakers with wire. Perhaps the closest thing I would consider at this point are solutions that route the audio signal through existing in-wall power lines.

Outdoor: We host get-togethers fairly often, so if I were putting a flat-panel up on the balcony, outdoor speakers would be essential because TV speakers are simply inadequate in an outdoor, unsealed environment. I probably would not opt for a subwoofer in this scenario.

Thanks, Aperion; love your stuff, and your business model.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Aperion Audio wants you to win!

Aperion Audio is giving away the chance to one (1) pair of Intimus Outdoor Speakers to one (1) eligible forum member! The speakers will be in the Alpine White finish.

Features:
  • 1” audiophile grade silk-dome tweeter
  • 6.5” dual voice coil, woven-fiberglass woofer
  • Bass adjustment switch
  • Rugged, weather and UV-resistant ABS polymer cabinet
  • Aimable mounting system
  • Acoustically transparent, powder coated metal grille
  • 5-Way, gold-plated binding posts
  • Ten year warranty
  • FREE lifetime customer support

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence and 3) Answer the following question in the thread below.

Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

• In wall 5.1 system
  • Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
  • Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
  • Smallest possible on wall solution
  • Wireless surrounds or wireless system
  • Other?

Note this contest ends on August 31st, 2009. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
I'd consider the
Front Towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system (best sound and I can take it with me when I move)
Soundbar for a 2nd room. (convienence for a living area where sound isn't critical

in walls are too much work for my tastes and i'm not a big fan of wireless or small speaker systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobMac

BobMac

Enthusiast
Next TV

Next TV will be a flat panel with 2.1 audio system. In-walls are a consideration.

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
I would definitely go with a 5.1/7.1 floor standing setup. I've heard a couple of in wall/ceiling 5.1 systems and thought they sounded "small".

E

Exterous

Audioholic Intern
Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system

My wife doesn't really mind floorstanding speakers so I am lucky there. I find the sound is generally better if you can afford the space these take up and the sound is really important to me. I am not a fan of wireless speakers because I have yet to see a pair that mixes good quality with decent wifi range

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis