Enter to Win: Outdoor Speakers from Aperion Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Aperion Audio wants you to win!

Aperion Audio is giving away the chance to one (1) pair of Intimus Outdoor Speakers to one (1) eligible forum member! The speakers will be in the Alpine White finish.

Features:
  • 1” audiophile grade silk-dome tweeter
  • 6.5” dual voice coil, woven-fiberglass woofer
  • Bass adjustment switch
  • Rugged, weather and UV-resistant ABS polymer cabinet
  • Aimable mounting system
  • Acoustically transparent, powder coated metal grille
  • 5-Way, gold-plated binding posts
  • Ten year warranty
  • FREE lifetime customer support

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence and 3) Answer the following question in the thread below.

Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

• In wall 5.1 system
  • Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
  • Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
  • Smallest possible on wall solution
  • Wireless surrounds or wireless system
  • Other?

Note this contest ends on August 31st, 2009. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Nice contest, but will they ever open up to members from outside of the U.S.A.?

Sincerely,

John

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
I haven't heard a good wireless system yet, so those are all out and I'm a bit iffy about really small speakers, so those have to go to. the rest all seem fine for a second system and even a first one---I'm on the fence for the sound-bar types, but I've read that they are improving.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I would go with a bookshelf 5.1 system... Having heard what can be done with bookshelves and a sub...I think it strikes a great balance between great sound while not overtaking the room with speakers.

I just don't think I'd be happy with a tiny on-wall system, or a soundbar for that matter.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I would go with an in-wall solution for a flat panel. A flat panel is mostly about aesthetics. So, give me the inwalls for better sound and better aesthetics than most soundbars.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
i would choose a bookshelf 5.2 in my current room. if i ever get my BIG room back it would be 7.2 with towers

•In wall 5.1 system- not enough flexibility
•Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub - dormroom/ bedroom only
•Smallest possible on wall solution - what blows cubes?
•Wireless surrounds or wireless system - equals junk from all that i've seen

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

* In wall 5.1 system Yes, if it was a secondary system like a bedroom.
* Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system Yes, first choice main system.
* Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub Yes, in a secondary system like a living or family room.
* Smallest possible on wall solution Yes, in a secondary system like a living, family room or bedroom.
* Wireless surrounds or wireless system Not yet...I wouldn't want to risk SQ (I could be all wet)
* Other? What ya got???:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

In wall 5.1 system ... absolutely, in a small room.

Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system ... most desirable.

Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub ... ack...soundbars...:(.

Smallest possible on wall solution ... perhaps in the office.

Wireless surrounds or wireless system ... oh yeah!...if the quality is there.

Other? ... 2-channel bookshelf system for office.

D

Deeds

Audioholic Intern
Wireless all the way

IMO, the wireless system offers endless possibilities of relocating speakers if needed and room tuning for the consumer.

It is also nice for somebody with children runnin about.

Wireless all the way!

dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
In wall 5.1 system (Would not consider. I really like my system seen and heard.) Not yet a believer in their sound quality as compared to non in walls.)

Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system (My 1st choice for sure would be matching towers all around in a 5.1 setting, or even a 4.1 setup. I desire ultimate sound quality and I like my system to be seen.) I would also consider bookshelves, but would always be left wanting towers.)

Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub (Not interested at all in a soundbar. Too much audio/circuitry manipulation to make these work. It just contaminates the pure signal source.) I understand why people might want it, but it's NOT for me.

Smallest possible on wall solution (Not into small at all.)

Wireless surrounds or wireless system (No way.)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
5.1 or 7.1 with full range floorstanders in front and book shelves for surrounds is the only way to go.

Powered speakers always suck.

And inwalls are for wimps trying to please their wives.:)

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
If I was to do another flat panel, it would go in a bedroom and I would need to keep the 5.1 setup small for space reasons.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic

* In wall 5.1 system - the ability (and success) of in-walls assumes you have walls in the right places to put them. Given the open design of many homes (including mine) in modern construction it gets more challenging, if not impossible to be able to place them in good configurations. For this reason, I would do in/on-ceiling
* Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system - many of the same challenges listed above exist for this as well. However, front towers with in/on-ceiling surround would be a good option
* Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub - most soundbars rely on having appropriate side walls to "reflect" off for the simulation of the rear surrounds. Without them, their effectiveness is greatly diminished. so again, open floorplans present a problem
* Smallest possible on wall solution - nope, not about smallest solution. Generally sacrifice too much quality
* Wireless surrounds or wireless system - potential here, but most reviews I have read have some sort of flaw (interference, delay, etc.)
* Other? - in-ceiling as I mentioned above

Now I list all my answers above given I do have a flat screen (kinda - DLP Rear Projection in a built in entertainment nook) as my "second" theater (deicated HT is in the basement). Given the open layout of the living room, in/on-ceiling was the only choice as the left speaker would be in the fireplace and the right speaker would be in the hallway. I know, details, details. I have a basic JBL sat/sub system that I mounted on the ceiling and pointed to the listening position. Due to the ability to angle them, the directionality and "cementing" of the sound to the screen is actually quite good.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Most likely with a flat panel I would seriously consider an in-wall setup. In a dedicated room I'd use a projector and would prefer floorstanders or bookshelves. I like the aesthetics of some of the in walls i've seen with mounted flat panels. Everything hidden away...

J

jclune

Audiophyte
I am purchasing my first HDTV home theater setup! I've got a 40" proscan for $500 from costco and I'm planning on "Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system" -probably 5 powerful bookshelves and one sub because I want to budget without sacrificing quality sound and I want great surround sound for movies. I don't buy into the 7.1 idea because that's too many wires and everything is coded for 5.1 then simulated to 7.1, plus 7.1 receivers cost more curiously. I do want wireless surrounds, but I don't want small speakers that have to be recharged, how about radiating wireless power!

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I would look at Front Bookshelf 5.1 as, I now have a 7.1, but it seems that 5.1 is more readily used. Not sure if wireless is ready for speakers for me. I would like the on wall flat panel. I would look at the surrounds as in wall as they take up less space than the bookshelf speakers I have now.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I would consider in-walls for a second system, or a 5.1/7.1 tower/bookshelf setup for a primary or secondary system. Not feeling the wireless or soundbar options.

S

ski230

Audiophyte
In wall 5.1 system - No, not until I hear in wall speakers which are as good as free standing.

Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system - Yes, this would be my first choice

Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub - Only for a secondary room, such as a bedroom

Smallest possible on wall solution - No, if I'm going to mount them on the wall, I'd prefer in wall as opposed to on wall

Wireless surrounds or wireless system - No, to unreliable

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
towers all the way

My next theatre will be single purpose so I can definitely have towers

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I would go with a tower 5.1 system. I feel if I'm going to go all out, I'll go all out and work with finding a great sounding system that matches everything.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis