Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rower8899

Enthusiast
How to use the amp?

This would be used to drive my 2 main speakers in my 5.1 Yamaha 2500 setup. My mains are some old Boston Acoustics A150. Another option would be to buy a couple of more speakers and go to 7.1 or hook them up as "effects" speakers.

My basement setup is used for movies and 2 channel listening so it would be a joy to setup and just listen to the music.

Thanks for the opportunity!

F

Frankonwheels

Audiophyte
:D This lovely little piece of industrial artistry would be used as the anchor of a two channel-only system in the third bedroom of our home. I've got a couple of B&W CDM2's that have been sitting around for a while waiting for the opportunity to sing again. These are solidly built, beautifully finished, can handle an amazing amount of power while still sounding sweet, and can also image like the dickens. They are reasonably sensitive, so they would be a nice match for the SP3. I have also been considering buying a Cambridge Audio DVD89 universal player, and winning this amp would be the perfect excuse. Yeah, I know, DVD-A and SACD are doomed to long-term failure, but they still sound really good in the meantime. Aside from the attendant cabling, that would pretty much entail the system in question. Oooooh, I gotta win...please, please, please, please?:p

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
Wow, this looks like a great tube amp. If I were to win this contest, I would use these speakers in my bedroom. Since I spend most of my time in my bedroom studying and writing papers, I'd benefit greatly from this amp. I'd buy a new set of bookshelf speakers if I were to win this amp.

My main audio setup is a home theater in the living room, so, it will essentially be used in a dedicated two-channel room.

O

Oopsscott

Audiophyte
I would use this beautiful amp in my Art Studio, as a display item and and of course, connect the unit to my Snell Monitors in the studio.

Sincerely,
Larry

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q. If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used?

A. To drive the main speakers in my audio / HT set-up.

Q. Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

A. In the Great Room which serves both my Audio and HT needs. Current equipment : Lexicon DC-1, Parasound amps, NHT VT2 and VS2a speakers, Velodyne HGS-15 sub. No additional purchases planned.

R

rozumek

Enthusiast
If I win, then this amplifier will be used in a dedicated two-channel room 12 feet long by 10 feet long. This amplifier will power RBH MC6-CT floorstanding speakers used for listening to DVD-A's using my Oppo OPDV971H DVD player.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
I would either use this tube amp in my bedroom, with a new set of speakers and supporting components, or connect it to my current surround system to drive the front main channel speakers. I've often thought about purchasing tube amps, but have never before had sufficient funds or time to move in such an esoteric direction.

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Hmm, I would...

If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

Lovingly and with great respect.

Any tube amp seems to require an analog signal and I will dust off my Mitsubishi LT-20 with an AKG P35MD cartridge just to play Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers as recorded by Bluenote in mono with tube microphones. Ahh, sweet sounds.

I would finally have a final incentive to finish my media space. I have been waffling on those Tannoy Eyris with Super Tweeter but now I am going to grab hold of the syrup bottle, Maple of course (being Canadian and all). Maybe get that Outlaw Audio system I have my eye on. You know, kind of blow the wad so to speak.

MMMM doughnuts. Opps I means music.

D

dbarnett37098

Audiophyte
If i win,The Melody SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier will be used with my stereo and tv.It will be paired with my pioneer speakers and will be located in my living room.I will need extra cables to go with it.

P

pclink427

Audiophyte
Education

Q....If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

A.....The amp would be used as recommended by Audioholics Online. I am new to Home Entertainment Systems but anxious to gain knowledge from others. Room 14 x 29 x 8, familroom/kitchen combo.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
The amplifier will be used in my living room/home theater room, where I have my main listening setup. They will run my onix rs450 tower speakers, which are used for stereo listeneing and also with my home theater setup.

I've been looking for a smaller setup for my bedroom, if this amp and speakers sound good, I'll probably get a smaller set of the onix bookshelf speakers and another SP3 tube amp. I'm also looking for a new sub, and have heard great things about the rocket series subs, if the amp brings out the midrange, I'll probably need a sub for the low end in my room.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Onix SP3 Tube Amp

Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

If I won the Onix SP3, I would create a dedicated two-channel room in my basement as a secondary listening environment to my multi-channel surround system in my family room. I would purchase the following: an Integra CDC-3.4 6-disc CD carousel changer (or Onkyo DX-7555 CD player), a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC, and a stereo pair of Von Schweikert Audio VR4jr loudspeakers. I would use a PS Audio xStream Digital (SPDIF) cable, which I already own, between the Integra CDC-3.4 and the PS Audio Digital Link III and a pair of either PS Audio xStream Statement or Audioquest Python analog interconnects, which I also already own, between the Digital Link III and Onix SP3. I would purchase a pair of speaker cables from Analysis Plus (not sure which pair) to use between the SP3 and the VSA VR4jr loudspeakers. I'm not sure what cabinet I would get to hold the player, DAC, and amplifier, all of which might be plugged into a Monster Power HTS-5000 reference power conditioner currently on sale from Monster. In short, I would have to create an entire two-channel system from scratch -- not an inexpensive proposition that I would have to build over time after some serious penny-pinching -- to match the quality of the SP3! Now, I can only wait, save up, and dream . . . .

Postscript: Actually, I forgot to consider some obvious alternatives for an ideal dedicated two-channel room: AV123's very own Onix xcd-99 CD player and a pair of Onix Strata loudspeakers! Such an Onix solution combined with the Onix SP3 would make great music together!

Last edited:
S

samNOISE

Audioholic Intern
Tooooooooooobessssz

How & where will this amplifier be used?

As a third system, in the kitchen sitting on the shelf - music to do dishes bye (hey, don't laugh - I don't have to cook!). I would pair it with a set of beauty' old-school Sound Dynamics mini-monitors (very efficient), and feed it with a portable RAM drive player – (uncompressed files only!).

Andrew D.

NicS

NicS

Enthusiast
I've always heard about the warm sound of tubes, If I were to win I would set it in my attic dedicated listening room. Im planning on a pair of avs123 xls speakers and matching subwoofer, so that amp in combination should really get a sweet, sweet sound :cool:

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
I would just simply start a new quest (sorry Honey)

Well if I were to win this amp it would be the catalyst for a new "Search" for the "Best I can afford". I would use it in my bedroom coupled with a smaller (sized not sound) sub for some good old stereo sound and I think I would keep it all AV123. So after I win I will begin my search for the best matching mid-sized bookshelf speakers of high quality, floorstanders if I could get away with it. I would obviously feed it some CD's from my exisisting (Sony) player. But this is an amp I would love to own and hear as well.

i

Last edited:
J

jamiecrane

Enthusiast
If I won this beautiful amp it would have a two part future. Part one would consist of allowing the amp to make the rounds to any and all members of the gateway audio society interested to expose them to the Onix brand and what is available from this great company.
Why would I be willing to do this? Because I already own TWO onix branded tube amps the SP3 and the H34!
When the tour was over (3-5 months I figure) it would be ready to start part two of it's future-transfer to my mother for a music system in her den. Would she appreciate - yes!
My mother has very little and has always dreamed of owning something as nice as this and it would be lovely to be able to give this to her!
I would purchase a set of the Onix X-ls speakers in maple and and a pair of the custom stand offered by Danny R over at GR - Research. Couple this with some DIY interconnects and speaker cable and an xcd-99 from av123 and the SB3 from slim devices. Two sources, two inputs!

This is one kick butt setup! How do I know you ask? Because it is damn near what I have now in my living room;)

Jamie

S

schoultz

Audiophyte
I would set up a two channel rig in my bedroom. Pair the SP3 with some bookshelf speakers from AV123. I would add the Onix xcd-99 CD Player, then I would be in 2 channel heaven.

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I will use it to run a 2 chanel setup fpr my mom in her "sun room". I don't know if sunroom is the best thing to call it but it is a room with a lot of windows and plants and she spends a lot of time there reading and listening to music. Right now it only has a really crappy boombox that is just begging me to be replaced. She would just love the warm, rich sounding music that tube amps provide.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If i were to win it, i would probably replace the amplifier i currently have in my office/den... paired with the Klipsch RF-7's and a Denon Cd Player. No experience with tube amps and i curious to see what the fuss is all about...

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
Hey I have never won anything but what the hell...

I have been salivating over tube amps for a couple months now ever since I put together my bass guitar rig using an Alembic tube preamp. The sound is all warm and gooey and no matter what I do, I can't make it sound bad. I just bought a tube compressor and it just keeps getting better!

Impressive review of this amp I would say. Not only that, the Art Deco look of SP3 is absolutely gorgeous! This unit is a work of art.

I want to incorporate this amp into my present home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V3200 receiver and a 5.1 Acoustech speaker system with 2 subwoofers. In my latest exhaustive research, tube amps tend to go well with horn loaded speaker systems. This baby would fit nicely powering my towers from the pre out of the Yamaha. 38 watts per channel not enough you say? I doubt it! 38 tube watts are probally more than 150 SS watts in regards to headroom and clipping. The guitar player in my band has a 50watt all-tube half stack that can knock stuff off of walls

First thing I would buy if I won this would most likely be a very good SACD player. Source is everything. I have a feeling that an SP3 would start me on the road to replacing most of my signal chain. In fact, I know it will.

EDIT: Have to add something... I remember the console stereo in our living room growing up. It was your basic wooden furniture thing with a tuner and turntable and IT WAS ALL TUBE POWER! Albums sounded incredible on that thing! I can only image what it would sound like with better speakers. I will regret forever allowing my brother to take it to the landfill after my mother passed away. In my grief I just didn't think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis