Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjmchugh

Enthusiast
How I would use the AMP

The Amp would be used in my main listeneing room. All of my current music is routed through my HT amp. I am the poor man's audiophile so a high end amp would be welcomed. I would upgrade my front bookshelfs to accomodate the higher end amp

amagiri

amagiri

Enthusiast
Onix SP3 contest

Main listening room, dedicated 2-channel. Hooked up with Denon 335R and Quad 22L's.

J

Jaakan

Audiophyte
My current system is 2 pair of Maggie MG12, Stax SR-34, Yamaha DSP-A1, Pioneer Stable Plater Cd player, a Sony DVD player, HD cable box, a game system, and a computer connected to a 27 LCD. My living room is 20 x 12. My bed room is 16 x 10 I would love to setup a second stand alone system in my bed room or a system that fed of the main system: either for my Stax or my Genesis Genre IIs that are still at my mom and dads house. Hell I want to hear what they sound like with my Maggies, too.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Aw, man, I really really wanted to be post number 123! Someone beat me to it. Shucks.

Nevertheless, if I win this beautiful amp, it will go in the office/library as a stereo music system, paired with a couple of oak Infinity speakers and pre/pro TBD.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
Amp

I currently own.....
1. Harman Kardon DPR-1005 receiver (low watts --- needs a nice amp)
2. Cerwin Vega D-7's (yes, I know they are old but I can't let them go)
3. Polk Audio Center and surrounds
4. JBL PSW-1000 sub

I would use this amp mostly for music but also for home theater ommph!!

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
[

Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
It would be placed in my living room to help build and up and coming 2ch setup. It would be paired with a UFW-10 (maybe a pair of X-subs), and bookshelf speakers of undecided type (possibly XLSs, or something from Ascend, GR Research, Monitor, Energy, etc...I dunno yet), with a decent budget CD player (think xcd-99, NAD, Cambridge, etc). The amp would probably push me to make said purchaes. Or, I might sell the amp to pay my gf the money I owe her. :p

B

BobBart

Audioholic
It will be in the bedroom, paired with some monitors from selahaudio not sure which ones yet. Probably using a tuner from outlaw audio. Will need some decent speaker cable also.

A

alesmith

Audiophyte
I'd hook it up in my living room, to my Rocket RS750se's, which would then be doing double duty (2-channel + 5.1 off a Yammy AVR for home theater).

It would definitely be the convincing I need to go get a decent DVD/CD player... time to retire the $40 Yamakawa. I like to make my own cables, so it would kick off another project there.

Long term, it would probably stay in my living room, with a good pair of monitors, when/if I finally move everything else to a dedicated theater room.

Cheers,
-Dave

V

vito

Audiophyte
Well, curently I use Rotel amp. It's about 6 years old and definetly would love to replace it with tube integrated amp. I have Cambridge Audio CDP and B&W speakers. My system is on the bright side and of course my living room is also to blame but I don't think my wife would like me to turn it into audiophile room. So I'm currious what this little guy with tubes would do. If end result would not be as desired I'll take this little guy with my cdp adn shop around for less upfront speakers.

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
i have been saving up for a pair of focal cobalt 826 towers. this amp would make me hurry up & buy them, they are the last 2 speakers on my list to finish my 7.1 system. everything is in my livingroom & is used everyday to watch tv/dvd's,music, etc.. they will be used w/ my mitubishi 65" rear project tv, denon 3805 receiver, denon 1920 dvd, monster 3500 power center, focal cobalt 800s center, 4 sibs for surround, & the cub2 sub (pos 8" sub...).

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Can you say no-brainer? Winning this would be like adding dilithium crystals to my set-up below (see sig). Of course, the family room would have to see an addition of a specially made shelf to A) show it off and B)hook it up to my receiver. I have no more room left without adding shelves, and my wife won't let me buy and amp for that very reason. BUT... if I won an amp, she would have no choice in the matter.
GO AHEAD. MAKE MY WIFE MAD. THIS COULD BE MY ONLY PATHWAY TO AUDIO ENLIGHTENMENT. I, and my speakers, would be forever in your debt.:D
PS- This amp would be used for music only (at 1st, anyway). I play everything from Beethoven to Zappa and my KEF's would greatly benefit from the dilithium crystals / power boost.

Last edited:
R

Raphael

Audiophyte
*EDIT*

Well, I've got a bit to say ; )

Winning this would get me into my first step in a high-fidelity system. While I have studied quite a bit on it and learned of reputable speakers and companies, e.g. av123, Magnepan, Paradigm, Athena etc. I hardly have the money for it. However, thanks to my Etymotic ER-4S inner ear monitors and a custom tuned Cmoy amp, I have heard quite a lot of detail in my music that my current speakers (Logitech Z-680s) just do not deliver. The sound is muddled in the low end with one of the worst subwoofers that I have experienced. The high-end is sharp and piercing, and the midrange is non-existent. The soundstage is absolutely horrendous, with livable imaging. All in all, the musical experience results in a very fatiguing sound in a small amount of time. I have recommended my friend to pick up a pair of X-SLS which he plans on doing recently, but he notified me that he would rather have my current Logitech system (he wants surround). This is perfectly fine with me as I wouldn't mind trading, which he agreed to =P. I will be using the X-SLS as my main speakers and from all the different reviews I have read, including the one from Audioholics, I definitely I'm going to go for it. My dream system includes the X-PLS (I believe that's the right name) as mains when they come out *grin*, The X-CS as the center, and the X-SLS which I will obtain from my friend soon will become my surrounds. All this in good time and saving. Being a student makes it very hard for me to purchase decent speakers : ( But I'd rather wait for the X-PLS before I add anymore to it anyways! From everything I've read, my mind is set on the x-series, and I hope to expand on it. This amp will be very beneficial to me in a stereo setup.

This amplifier will be used in my primary listening room with the X-SLS (future X-PLS) that I have dedicated to sound aka my bedroom, ;P which is roughly 17.25 x 10.5. It is rather large, and the logitechs hardly fill up the space. I would much rather have a nice 2-channel setup rather than an atrocious 5.1. After all, 90% of my listening is music. And I prefer to do that in stereo (simulated 5.1 ruins the imaging of music in my opinion). I personally have had a lot of experience with tube amps. Being a singer and a guitar player myself I have tested several tube amps and myself own a Peavey Classic 50 212 (3 preamp and 4 power amp tubes). I have also been fortunate enough to listen to my girlfriend's dad's stereo setup. I am not quite sure what speakers they are, but they are rather large monsters with build in woofers (similar the to what I assume the X-PLS will be like, except much larger in size). Listening to Eva Cassidy's Songbird album was a definite treat. Her voice was so captivating, sweet and haunting at the same time. Fields of Gold was just... wow! lol. The midrange was very smooth and thick like very rich butter (I know it's weird, but I can't explain it in any other words). The high extended quite a bit and was very controlled (although not as high as my ER-4S IEMs, then again, nothing I have heard has such a sweet high end). The bass was never exaggerated but present. And it was went quite deep and I could feel every nuance of it. Something I have never experience in my life. IEMs just don't let you feel that bass! Similar satisfaction resulted from Stevie Ray Vaughn's Live in Montreux. This all thanks to very nice speakers, a very nice tube amplifier and the generosity of a kind man. =) Similar satisfaction resulted from Stevie Ray Vaughn's Live in Montreux.

All in all, tube amps have definitely changed my perception of sound. No solid states (at least none I've heard) have been able to surpass a nice tube amp. Winning this amplifier would make loads of difference in my listening. All I can say to myself is good luck =)

P.S. I apologize if I have named the wrong model name for X-PLS. I am talking about the ones that av123 will be releasing in their x-series for $599 with the built in dual 8" or single 12" active woofers. From what I've read, Danny is working with Danny Seaton (I was a bit confused at first too) who is a king of bass. So I am definitely looking forward to it =). While this is an obvious desperate attempt at winning a fine tube amp, let's just say it's a poor man's stab at luck ; )

Cheers,

Raphael

Last edited:
A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? I have no idea, but I would take suggestions from AV123 based on what I already have.

Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc). Probably main listening room to make that room have the best possible sound

speakers/ electronics it will be paired with? I'd probably try it out with my Infinity RX3's first.

Any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc, none planned, but that could change.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would definitely use the amp for 2-channel music listening in my bedroom. It would be paired with my Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's and (2) Acoustic Research 8" powered subwoofers. If I win there would be no doubt that I would have to get an excellent cd player--maybe even one from av123.com:) :) . Since my computer is in my bedroom chances are I will look into streaming some mp3/wma files as well. However, I will mostly listen to my cds that I have bought in a typical place such as BB or CC. Who knows I may just integrate it into my home theater in my living room--just depends on what is suiting my fancy at that time:D :D .

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
In my bedroom (2-ch) hooked up to some new speakers I will buy if I win:D ......also would buy a new reciever......basically get whole new system based around it.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
Onix SP3 Tube Amp Contest

If I was fortunate enough to win, I would make this amp the center piece of an audio only listening room. I would match it with some stellar speakers and a great sub such as the unbeatable Onix ULW-10 I've purchased from AV123! I'm getting worked up just thinking about it, lol!

M

madadam

Enthusiast
sp3 tube amp contest answer

I would use to build a dedicated 2-channel system. RIght now I have a home theater/music system with axioms (m22s/vp150/qs8) and two rocket ulw-10 subs driven by an onkyo txsr603. I would most likely keep that system as it is and create a two channel system in a small den, purchasing a pair of monitors with decent bass output.
Adam

S

Signmaster

Audiophyte
I'd place this in my living room, I love the glow of warm tubes at night!

T

tomme35

Enthusiast
Never listen from a tube before. I would try and if I like it, it will be in the living room hooking up to a pair of (will buy) full range speakers and a universal DVD player.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
I have never used any tube products and from the reviews this seems to be a good one. I would put this in my 20x20 bedroom as a 2 channel only set up. I just purchased some USHER audio x-719 with matching stands to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis