Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is giving away a Melody SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier (a $999 value!) to one (1) lucky forum member that answers the questions in the forum below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) and post your answer to the question below in this forum:

Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

Read the Melody SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier Review

Note this contest ends on July 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Wow! A contest that's open to us poor, too-oft shut-out Canadians! Woo-hoo -- thanks, AV123!

How would I use this amp?
I have no idea. I'm fairly new to the a/v world, and don't really understand everything yet. I get the impression that this amp is used for only 2-channel music, so I guess I would hook it up to my receiver and activate it only when I've got a CD in my DVD player or when I'm using my record player.

What room it will be in?
It would be in my main listening room, which doubles as my living room. I've been toying with the idea of getting two nice speakers for my bedroom and using that room as a dedicated 2-channel listening room, so if I were to win this amp, this might be what I would do.

Speakers/electronics it would be paired with?
My main speakers are Athena F2s. My sub (I presume I'll still get usage of the sub with this amp; like I said, I really know nothing about this stuff) is an Athena P400. My DVD player is the Pioneer DV-588A, and my receiver is the Yamaha RX-V750. My record player is a Technics SL-1700. Very low-end stuff, I know, so I'd be very excited about the possibility of this Melody improving the clarity/imaging/gorgeousness of the sound.

Any additional purchases to be made because of the amp?
I might need a new power bar/surge protector since I've used up all the plugs in my current one. If I go with the bedroom idea, I'll be looking for a pair of awesome speakers (sub would be optional initially) as well as a good CD player. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

Thanks again for this contest, guys!

cheers,
supervij

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
If I win I don't know what I'd do with it. I would try it with my mains although there's not enough power. I'd have to sit it on a rack and look at it for a few days. It truly is audio sculpture. I would go in my bedroom system. It would cause me to replace everything else in that system. I could learn to live with that. Goodbye Sony amp, goodbye Minimus 7's and DBX sub. Old Technics CD player goodbye a little later or maybe a D2A converter nooooooo........
Thats not what a bedroom system is for. Sorry, I got a little carried away there.:eek:

T

tdubnrae

Enthusiast
I'd set up a music only room. I've needed an excuse to do so. The three other surround systems in the house are for games, tv and movies. Just music would be nice. I'd probably go nuts and get a set of onix reference speakers and get a good cd player to match.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like this would be perfect for a 2 channel room.
What components?
I guess I'll fret over that when it arrives at my door.:D

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
This little guy would fit nicely into my two channel room, I've been thinking about getting into tubes for a while and I'd love to get my start for free. :cool:
It would be used with a rega planet cd player and a pair of Opera 1.5 loudspeakers that I just bought.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I’ve heard tube amps and love the sound. This would give me the opportunity to own one and use it for a two channel set up. I would need some decent speakers (hint hint av123) and used in a secondary listening environment

C

cyngreen

Enthusiast
This would be used in a basement media room which I am setting up from scratch. I would probably pair it with Axiom Audio Epic Grand Master speaker system, Yamaha DVD-C750 (per audioholics recommendations), and would need a flat screen - unsure of plasma or LCD.

C

CitronBull

Junior Audioholic
I would use this amp in my main listening room aka my living room. It would help my HK avr230 to power my Klipsch RF35's and RC35. I would then probably get some Onix surrounds to replace my cheap HK bookshelves.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
id use this in my main listening room to set up for music.

C

c_h_shin

Enthusiast
I'd create a dedicated 2-channel setup in a smaller room 12x15. Probably pair up with a pair of Maggies and would give me an excuse to purchase a tube-preamp. My phono rig (Music Hall MMF-5 with Bellari VP-129) would primarily drive the new system. Would consider adding an upgraded CD player, although not immediately.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
2 channel

This is an awesome tube amp. I'd be proud to show it off and put it on a nice media rack;) . It will be in my bedroom for a dedicated 2-channel music listening room. I'll use it together with Mordaunt Floor standing MS502 speakers, and a rotel cd player (either RCD 991 or 1072) or may be even an Onix XCD 99:p to match it up with the amp. The cable will be Interkonect Luminous Lynx II.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
100% no doubt in my main stereo. I love my Denon Avr-985 but god would I love to have a tube amp doing the driving.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I'd use this amp either in my bedroom or basement in a 2 channel only set up. I'd probably pair it with a pair of Thiel speakers or higher end Paradigms. I don't own any Thiels yet, just been looking/listening to them, and I like them. I also have a pair of old but great condition Altec Voice of the Theater speakers from many many years ago. I'd hook them to the tube amp occasionally too.
I'd use a Marantz CD player with it for now and my old Dual TT, but would upgrade sources eventually.

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
As the construction of my basement home theatre progresses, I have come to realize that plans sometimes change as have my expectations.
What started as a basic basement finish has evolved into something much more.

I suppose the Melody SP3 would serve as part of an overall audio upgrade. My current set-up is not going to cut the mustard. It would seem that I'm looking at starting from scratch.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
amp use

I think this would go in the back of my home theatre room at the bar. I do not know what I would use for speakers, probably another AV123 product as I am looking at them for my HT as well.

The warm fuzzyness of the tube amp would be perfect for the atmosphere, a smokey jazz club kind of theme will be used.

Imagine pouring your favorite beer or wine with the mellow richness of a tube amp pouring out "Fever"

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

This is a sweet "little" amp...I say "little" because if you heard it without knowing the actual power rating and had to guess, you'd likely guess about double its rated power!:cool: If you're just into 2CH,can deal with just 2 inputs and live without a remote you'd be hard pressed to do better at any reasonable price.

Caveat: I only used it with easy to drive speakers. I don't know how it would drive a tough load.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
If I won, I'd replace my 1975 Sansui AU 1100 Inergated Amp .It currently is used in our Taxidermy work shop.Nice to have good sounds when patience is a must.
I would keep the old Sansui TU 7900 tuner but replace the Advent speakers with, hopefully 2 -RSC200's, and the old Sansui CD player.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have a couple of options depending on how I like the sound from the amp. The first would be to take over the duty of driving my Def 7001 main speakers. The other would be to drive my future 8 tactile sound transducers for my 8 la-z-boys. All this would be done in my dedicated HT.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I would use this in my main living room. But I'd have to get new speakers to really show it off to it's best. The Onix sig 1000's come to mind. They would be my 2 channel set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis