Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kobojen

Audiophyte
How would I use this amp?
To drive a secondary two channel system

What room it will be in?
Study

Speakers/electronics it would be paired with?
A small set of Magnepan's with a Sony SACD player.

Any additional purchases to be made because of the amp?
Cables, room treatment materials, etc.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I'd set it up in the bedroom upstairs. I'd need to purchase some additional gear (like speakers) and end up moving a couple sources (CD player, MD player) upstairs.

C

CharlyD

Enthusiast
Nice Amp!

The amp would be used in my main music/theater room with Martin-Logan Montage speakers and a Panasonic PVR. I'd probably purchase a digital media adapter to access music content stored on my PC if I should be so fortunate to win.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I would use this amp in my den/music room. It would me mated to my onix xl-s speakers driven by the pre outs on my yamaha receiver. I would invest in a nice stereo pre amp when my budget allows. I am into ht but my first love is 2 channel music. This amp would be in a good home and well appriciated!

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
This amplifier would replace the one I currently use for my 2 channel rig. It would live in the open space that includes my kitchen, living room, and dining room. It would be connected to a roku soundbridge m1000 and a turntable ( not sure on model since I have yet to steal it from my parents. ) The amp would power a set of x-ls speakers.

279BLUE

Enthusiast
I would set this up in my music room. (Music room as in the awesome room where my kids and I play guitar, keys, bass, bang on the drums, and anoy the neighbors with a whole lotta bass!:D ) I would pair it with a cd player or a small mixer board and a pair of Ref. .5's. (Currently using a REF setup in the living room & Love It.) Then I would have some cool studio sound in there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had been thinking about rebuilding my 2ch system for a while, and going tube with it. This would be a great way to start that off. For speakers, I would probably look back to GR Research for a pair of A/V-1s; Danny says he prefers to power the speakers he offers with tubes, and I've always wanted to do a setup like that. Then I'd look around for a new CD player...maybe the XC88? Cambridge Audio? Arcam? I have also not owned a turntable in a while, so I haven't been able to listen to my vinyl, and this would be a good time to put one back into the music system.

The room is 12x14 arranged in a corner setup to push first reflections further out. Music only, no video and no sub. There are no treatments at this time, though that could change...

B

BGLeduc

Junior Audioholic
How will this amplifier be used?

It will be used in my dedicated 2 Channel system

Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc)

It will be used in the front room of my home, which is a combibation sitting room and dedicated 2 Channel listenning space.

Speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

NHT Abosolure Zero loudspeakers, Klipsch SW8II Subwoofer, Outlaw ICBM, Behringer BFD (sub only), Rotel 1072, Rega P2 w/Shure M97x cart, Pioneer 45a Hi-Rez player, Pioneer 509 CD Recording deck.

I do not anticipate making any additional purchases in conjunction with the amp.

Brian

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
If I win I would set this amp in my living room. I would have to purchase a new CD player as well as new speakers. I would probably purchase the Onix XCD-99 and a pair of X-ls bookshelf speakers.

Kono

C

Craig234

Audioholic
amp

I'm new enough to this that I don't know what I'd get for the rest of system yet either, I'd get tips. Perhaps some Arcam gear - but it'd be part of a system that includes two display devices currently, a Panasonic front projector and a Sceptre 42" LCD.

The room would be aliving room 15'x15' with another area to the rear 9'x7'.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

Oh man! I have been wanting one of these really, really bad! I already have a Rotel RX-1052 Stereo receiver and a Pair of Infinity Kappa 400 speakers for my main listening area at home in the living room. I also have an Outlaw RRR2150 stereo receiver and a pair of Kappa 200 speakers at work. So, I have had a really hard time trying to convince my wife that I need yet another Amp, CD player, and Speaker set. However, I have the perfect spot for this... The Bedroom!!!

Oh yes, if I got my hands on one of these, it would be in the bedroom. I have often wanted to have a more private listening area where I can escape from the kids, and just sit back (or lay down, in this case), relax and enjoy the music. Of course, if I had this unit, I'd have to buy another CD player and another set of speakers. I'd probably go for a smaller set of speakers, like AV123's Ref1 set, and maybe their Onix CD player. Either that, or I'd get one of B&Ws new CM1 series bookshelf speakers. I am not sure what CD player I'd get then... Maybe still go for the Onix XCD-99, as the reviews are pretty good. And with all good book shelf speakers, I'd need to find some stands as I don't have a bookshelf in the bedroom, and I'd need some interconnects and speakerwire, too.

So, that's my ideal setup, and what I would do with it. It would probably get more use than my family room and work setups, for sure!

Pick me!! *grin* Well, even if it isn't me, someone's going to be really happy. Thanks for the great contest!!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Amp contest

I would use the tube amp with my Onix Ref 1's in the main listening room. When I expand to a full fledged HT with center, sub, surrounds, etc. the SP3 would probably be used for a seperate 2 channel system.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
Well... I think I'd have to purchase some esoteric turntable that costs at least $10,000.

Seriously, though. I would have to do some serious thinking because right now I don't have any speakers that don't have their own amps built in, and the only source component in the house that can't/shouldn't be delivering 5.1 is an iPod. (Seriously. My only CD player(s) and turntable(s) are in a DJ rig in the office/studio.)

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
If I won this amp I'd run it in my main 14X10X10 listening room. This room is the entryway to my house and the SP3 would look nice and silvery at the top of my rack :) This room is my two channel and home theatre listening room. As part of the main media room, the SP3 will be connected to a Belkin APC P40 and a pair of Rocket RS750sigs and RSC200. Some cheapo (unfortunately) Onky speakers will serve as surrounds. I think the amp will be used for only 2 channel goodness paired with my Onix CD-1 cd player. As for additional purchases, maybe some blue tack to ensure the amp doesn't go anywhere!

Thanks.

R

RamesesTG

Audiophyte
One of the rooms in my house is a dedicated library. I would install the amp in a dedicated 2 channel system that would allow me to relax to the glorious sounds of this amp in while enjoying a good book.

S

scj99

Enthusiast
I would use this in a music only room with a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers that I have tucked away waiting for an amp just like this to drive them. I would need to get a CD player, probably the xcd-99 to go with it.

S

schoultz

Audiophyte
I would most likely use this amp in my bedroom; it is 10X12X9. I would love to pair them up with the Ref 1's and the Onix xcd-99.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
I always want to have a nice, quality 2ch for the bedroom so I will use it in the bedroom with bookshelf speakers. This is perfect if it's free, otherwise, too much because I have to get a good quality speakers to go with it.
Pick me pick me :)
T.T

D

dbrhas

Audiophyte
How will this amplifier be used? I have been looking for a starting point for a new system and as I am a tube amp fan (two of my three CAR amps are BK Butler's), I'll build my system around the Melody.

What room it will be in? A dedicated (main) listening room, that I am actually in the process of completing (expandable area). It will be finished out with acoustics in mind. It will be used for both audio and video, but now I'm thinking of two systems within one, with the ability to run audio solely at times via the Onix's 2 channels.

Speakers/ electronics it will be paired with? Great question...the Infinity Kappa series (towers) referenced in the Audioholics review of the Melody have always had their appeal, so those will be listened to once again. The ever changing (SA)CD player market will keep me guessing, but I think the Onix XCD-88 would be a good compliment to consider.

Any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc? If the SP3 arrvies at my door, all the other components.

G

Grendel

Audiophyte
I have been toying with the idea of making a dedicated 2ch. set up in what is a mainly unused family room (10x7x12)...this would be a good excuse to use this area. I'd probably bi amp my speakers (b&w 803's) and use this for the high/mid range and my rotel for the bass.

i can hear the 2 channel goodness already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis