Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wingzz

Audiophyte
how will this amplifier be used?
I would use it to power a second zone
Describe what room it will be in
Either bed room or to drive some outdoor speakers
, speakers/ electronics it will be paired with
Depends on what I buy for it

, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp,

Speakers :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
The possiblities are endless...:cool:

I have wanted a dedicated two channel system for the family room and this would be a very cool way to start. I probably would not look at tube equipment due to cost but to have a system that is just different from the normal solid state integrated amp or receiver would be very nice. Let alone the conversation piece value it would bring to the room. (Too cool looking!):D

Speakers...Would have to try all kinds. (what a shame):rolleyes:

Other equipment...I would at first use what I have lying around but with an amp with looks like that I would need to get stuff that matches.(sound quality and looks) The right rack would be important for just the right look.

SBF1

V

Vart

Audioholic
I'm not sure how I would use it. I don't think it has enough power for my main speakers in the living room. I might use it in the bedroom with some bookshelf speakers.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I would put this in my antique egg incubator (which serves well as an equipment drawer) and hook them up to my old Klipsch K2 bookshelves.

I would enjoy the warm sound while reading a good book. :) (and enjoy it more knowing that I didn't pay anything for it)

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
AV123 reply

I read the reviews on the complete system offered by the company a few months ago when it was written and was intrigued by such a high quality but low power tube amp. I thought that if I purchased the system it would be used in a dedicated 2 channel music environment in the room I display art that I have purchased. That room is used for visiting, quiet relaxing, and reading, but it currently lacks music, the final component. I have planned a zone 2 system for the area, but this would be an even better solution.

I would consider purchasing the remainder of the system offered by the company (CD and matched speakers). Alternatively, I would visit with my audio consultant to see what they might suggest.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
I would use this in my main listening room (living room) as a secondary system. This amp would allow me to I designate it strictly for music duty, and my existing receiver/dvd player for my HT use.

In doing so, I'd need to buy additional gear to pair with it, namely a designated cd player and, maybe, another pair of speakers. I'm currently using Onix x-ls speakers, so perhaps I'd look at moving up the ladder to a pair of ref 0.5's or ref 1's to go be used for this strictly music set up.

nyf

Enthusiast
I'd like to try a tube amp to be able to switch between home theater and two channel in my main listening room. I'd run a seperate zone through the tube amp for two channel. I'm currently running a HK 435 and an Onkyo 5.0 system with an SVS sub, but I'm planning on upgrading to Ascend 340 SE or the possibly the x-sls (if they're good and come out before my trigger finger gets itchy :cool: )

rplotkin

Audiophyte
Well, I'd put this in my main listening room, hook it up to a Marantz 8400, and then I'd save up and purchase some Axiom m80s to give the amp a good workout.

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
At a whopping 56 lbs, it outweighs my Anthem MCA-20 by over 20 lbs! It certainly deserves a spot in my ever-growing A/V rack in our main listening and viewing room. I would probably use it to power a pair of incoming Paradigm Studio 20's for our kitchen...they love the power, and the Onix seems capable of delivering.

J.

richeydog

richeydog

Audioholic Intern
I would most likely use the SP3 in my main listening room hooked up to my Rocket 750's, using my Pioneer 588a as my source. But switching the cables back and forth from my HK230 receiver for movies and SP3 for music would be cumbersome at best. I would have to look for a switcher of some kind to alleviate the problem.

If that isn't possible, then I would consider purchasing a pair of Onix x-ls(Ref 1's would be nice, but not in my budget) in white shadow maple, with a stand alone cd player or squeezebox, and placing them in a dedicated 2 channel room.

M

mark4mich

Audioholic Intern
I would use this in a dedicated 2 channel listening room. Interested in trying tubes. This would be in a fairly small room, so would probably be used with some good bookshelf speakers.

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
Law School Sound!!

"If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc."

Well, I guess I would listen to music with it!! I would use the tube power to enhance the musical experience from my X-LS speakers. I would probably take the rear speakers from my X-LS 5.1 setup and move them to a second room for the SP3, then order the upcoming X-series floorstanders and put them up front in the main HT room. I'd probably buy a squeezebox for a source.

The SP3 would go in a small bedroom for music. Thanks for the chance to win Audioholics/AV123.:)

G

greenhill

Audioholic Intern
Tube AMP

I am finding that i am enjoying 2 channel music more and more... even with my A/V reciever with all the fancy 2 channel surround formats... 2 channel "straight" mode is my favorite!!.. my latest addition to my main room is a Music Hall.... 2 channel Vinyl is Awesome!!
I would use this amp and upgrade my Zone 2 room into a real 2 channel listening room.... If I won this tube amp I would be motivated to go speaker shopping again... YES! I would be using the "Zone 2, pre-outs" on my Yamaha RX-V757... I am embarrassed to say what my zone 2 speakers are at the moment, but if this amp came to my home, well, like i said, I would be obligated to find speakers for a dedicated 2 channel environment.
Greenhill.

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
Living Room

If I win this contest I would use the Onix integrated Amp in our living room. It looks great, so I would place it on a bookshelf on an isolation pad, next to my Rega CD player and my turntable (with phono stage). We listen to a lot of music, and prefer the warm sound of tubes, although my current amp (Rotel) is not. I would use this amp to drive my B&W speakers (7NT).

S

slicki

Enthusiast
I will use it as a secondary amp in my main theater for when I only want to listen to 2-channel sound. This isn't something I had ever planned on doing and won't if it's not free. I don't put any value into this but the amp does look cool in a retro way. I plan no other purchases to support this. I think I will have a use an old speaker switch I have laying around. Since all components are in a seperate room I'm not sure how long I'd use this since I'd have to get up to make adjustments to it.

D

drdoan

Audiophyte
since I have an extra set of SVS SB-01 bookshelf speakers, this amp would make a great stereo setup. My main HT room is set up for movies,but, not so much for 2-channel. Dennis

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Tom Andry said:
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is giving away a Melody SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier (a $999 value!) to one (1) lucky forum member that answers the questions in the forum below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) and post your answer to the question below in this forum:

Read the Melody SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier Review

Note this contest ends on July 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
If I win this amp, I'd probably use it at work as my personal tune machine with my computer as the source. It would probably be hooked up to some inexpensive bookshelves for listening at my desk area. I may purchase new speakers to go with the amp, but I might just use some that I already have laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindaika

Enthusiast
Three Ply

This would be used to drive most likely a new set of speakers in a tiny studio apt for dedicated 2-channel.

G

gfish

Audiophyte
I'd use it in a dedicated two-channel music system with my Audio Alchemy digital components and Celestion SL-600 speakers.

George

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
If I were to win this contest I would use this amp for a secondary system upstairs in my wife's workroom so she can listen to her music or watch tv while I am using the main system. This would be my excuse to purchase another set of speakers from Ascend Acoustics, probably the 170SE's since the room isn't that big. I'd pair it up with my current DVD player (Toshiba 1800) which would allow me to upgrade to an Oppo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis