Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Audioholic Intern
[
Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why​
Kinda, Apple TV G2 with a laptop running iTunes 10.x and files stored on a NAS. Still pursuing better options: Logitech Revue, OliveHD's other offerings, SqueezeBox Touch, or a used Sooloos setup

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?

Sound quality, remote app, ease of ripping/retrieval/adminstration

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?

Most likely cost and storage flexibility. Format limitation may be a deal-breaker but one would expect some form of lossless capability.

Cheers,
-H

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Ans: No, but will be within 1 year. Currently finishing up the video side of the HT room.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why.
Ans: No, I still feel that they are in their infancy. They seem to come and go too fast (company wise) so support and expandability is of question.

b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
Ans: I certainly would like one but at this time am concentrating funds on other ventures.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
Ans: 1- expandability 2- reliability 3-lossless support (multi format WAV, FLAC, ALAC, Etc.)

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Ans: A deal breaker would be no expandability (500gb is not enough to hold even half of my collection in lossless format) At least offer a USB 2.0/3.0 connection for an external HDD (which I see this Olive model does). Also having a digital out. Continued support through firmware updates, with history showing it in past models. Would prefer to have Wi-Fi or wireless but not a deal breaker. If I am investing in a "Music Server" I would really consider strongly a complete media server (at this day and age) that means a Blu-ray drive and SACD/DVD-A playback as well. Of course now we are entering a different animal all together.

I see that the 04HD and 06HD models have most of these above mentioned features (still neither is true multi-media) but lots of other "audiophile" upgrades. Wow - $2.5K and $5K seems a little steep though!

H

hassler

Audiophyte
1) Yes
a. I am using a combination of AppleTV's and Airport expresses connected to a mac mini for music distribution in my house.
2) Ease of use. Ability to connect to my iTunes library which is how I store and share my music currently. Wireless network connectivity
3) None that I can think of

T

timo_glass

Audiophyte
- I am using a (makeshift) music server.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
- External hard drive(s), connected to WD Live Plus, connected to small LCD and Yamaha receiver. I went this route because a.) I'm a newbie, and b.) wanted to keep the investment to a minimum, and c.) I had so much music and CD's that I badly needed to consolidate.

- N/A

- Cost was obviously a factor. Ease of use was also very important for me. High quality audio output would also be high on my list of priorities.

- Not one particular deal breaker, no. But an overall dealbreaker would be the offering of too many (often useless or of such little importance) features that invariably drive the cost up. Or the substitution of those features with less focus on quality audio output.

Thanks for the great opportunity!

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
1) Currently using Apple TV but would consider another option.

overall audio quality, apple lossless support, flac support, expandability (larger internal HD or ability to add external HD), the ability to stream to multiple locations.

No

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern

Yes, but not likely in the next year or two

(1) low power consumption
(2) ease of use
(3) flexible configuration / setup - compatibility with URC remotes, file formats, etc.

Ability to import song metadata (album art, track info)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I'm always looking for new gear.:) Yes I am using one.

Right now I am using an Escient SE-80 as the interface for my music and storing the actual files on a media server. I purchased it second hand so it was a good deal and I wanted a fairly simple solution that could provide cover art and meta info to the various zones it was being used.

1) Rip to FLAC. - Lossless audio is an absolute must.
2) Cover art - This will be used in multiple zones and having a nice interface though a monitor should be standard.
3) Simultaneous video and audio outputs - I must be able to feed a digital signal to my main theater processor and analog stereo to my zone system and not have to change settings on the server to do this.

My list above is absolutely necessary so if it does not have all of those requirements than it is a bust. Another killer would be some kind of proprietary encoding that would not allow files to be used in another system or any inability to access and back up the stored music to another computer.

flamingeye

flamingeye

Junior Audioholic
b) yes I would like one , I would like to store all my 300+ CD`s in one place with top quality sound and Olive`s are one of the nicest ones I`ve seen
2)When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
The first important thing for me is sound quality because if it dosn`t sound good I can`t relaxes and enjoy the music.
Second important thing is multichannel flac because I love multichannel music and most of my digitized music is in flac
Third important thing is remote with LCD because I want to be able to do everything with it while siting in the sweet spot like look at album art, songs, time left, time laps etc..
3)Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn`t buy one with that feature)?
Yes if it was mp3 only

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​

I use Western Digital TV Live media servers (2) with 1.5TB external hard drives. I like them because the interface works with my TV, they have a remote, work with .flac format files, send a full quality digital signal to the high quality DACs in my receiver.

1. Capacity - 1TB minimum
    [*]Simple remote controllable interface.
    [*]Flac compatibility. I'm not going to re-rip my collection.
    [*]I'll add one more - a way to back up the files. Drives die.
  1. File format - it must use my current rips.
    [*]Capcity - 1TP minimum.
    [*]Networking - it must intergrate into my network.
    [*]Finally in an age of good cheap media players it must be a multitasker.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? No
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. Yes, I'd like one, but it's not at the top of my priority list at the moment. It would be great to replace my behemoth Sony CD changers and gain some space

No.1 Price, although I really couldn't say what I would consider reasonable, unless I researched it some more.
No.2 Capacity. It has to be able to hold a large music library
No.3 User friendliness. Must be easy to navigate to find albums/or tracks.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? I can't really think of any right now

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
1) i am planning on using a music server in conjunction with a whole audio system in my new house.

2) price, HDD space, ease of use

3) unable to upgrade/add on HDD space

D

darkvisions

Audiophyte

Yes, looking for one.

Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Backup

Difficult backup.
Hard Drive Replacemnt

A

aetengo

Audiophyte
I am not currently looking for a music server as my pc is connected to my system.

Ease of use, price and capacity

Needs a wireless option. I dont need more cables in my house

Last edited by a moderator:
jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
1. Yes, looking.
2. Yes...leaning Squeezebox Touch for ease of use and Iphone app. ,however, I would like to load it with CDs.
3. If it can not do hi-rez, I have no use for it! Must be WiFi, too.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Contest Questions:
Both Actually
a) I am currently using Popcorn Hour devices that stream music from a custom built centrally located server. I use them for music because it is convenient as they are used for HD movies and TV show playback and are already in place.
b) I am looking to supplement the Popcorn Hour devices with media streamers/servers, I have looked at the Squeezebox Duet's and they seem like nice units.

1. Control scheme and integrated control with other devices. It would need to have a handheld remote with a display that you can choose music without being in the same room as the device. It would also have to be able to be controlled by iPhone/Touch, Android Phones, and other smartphone devices in the same manor in which you can control it with the above mentioned controllers.
2. Format support must be extensive and updated in the future when newer formats come out. FLAC support is a MUST!
3. Network integration. Must be able to stream music from a local and possibly a remote server (see Ampache as you can stream music from your friends library). So should a friend have the same device you can play music from their library over the internet. Companies need to learn to harness the power of the internet and offer such integration options.
Must have silent operation and the option to Rack Mount. Also it MUST provide source code to a 3rd party community to develop user apps and user integration features.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Not looking or using a music server

Yes, I would like one because it would be convinient and looks nice

1) Looks (aesthetics) - I want it to look good next to my $7,500 pre-pro, etc.
2) compatibility - gotta be compatible with most, if not all, formats
3) Ease of use - Big turn off if too difficult to use

1) Aesthetics - if it is UGLY, I will not even look at it.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I am not currently using one but have been looking for an affordable one for sometime know. I would love to beable to have my music somewhere else then my computer.

I would look for high quality DACs, very clear screen and ease of use. also large storage capcity, I onlt listen to wave files which are much larger then mp3.

if one only had a digial output, I would not even consider it.
:D

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​
a) I currently use iTunes libraries on our two computers in the office, and pull music down to our PS3 through DLNA server software on the Macs, or to another Mac via Home Sharing.
b) I would like to accomplish two things with an upgraded system: 1) a unified library and 2) simpler operation (i.e. WAF).

1) Ease of use (complex setup is OK, simple operation is essential)
2) Compatibility (Open or licensable standards like DLNA and AirPlay)
3) Quality (construction of components and sound/video quality)

None that come to mind.

N

nickboros

Audioholic

I'm not currently looking for a music server. My 160gb iPod and Laptop do a good job of taking care of that. Having a nice centralized way of distributing the music from these items would be nice though. I currently use Zone 2 of my receiver to do the job.

Internet connectivity with easy music streaming capabilities and home network streaming. Easy iPod integration. Ease of use. I know that this is the fourth, but price.

Price.

I'm only interested

N

ned

Full Audioholic
No
yes. the ease of streaming music
lossless
price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis