Enter to Win: Meteora Speaker Interconnects from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
No, i currently don't run any of my interconnects in wall.

Why don't i run them in wall? A couple of reasons actually. 1. The walls that i'd run them in are external walls and i'd have to deal with going through the insulation.
2. The walls are about a year old and my wife would kill me if i cut into them already.
3. The permanency of the inwall location. If I want to move them later, its not as easy to do. I can hide my wires pretty effectively by tucking them behind the molding (I use AR flat cables)

R

resperc

Audiophyte
I do not run any cables in the walls. My home is old and the walls are solid and covered with plaster. I am fortunate enough to have a bsement and I am able to runsome cables under the floor. I only run analog cables (for speakers). In the future in a new residence I will definitely consider some in wall applications. Resperc

T

trhoffman

Audiophyte
I run analog interconnects through the floor for now. Through the wall would be more challenging as there is no access at there is no conduit to feed it through.

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
Yes...both

I'm just completing my dedicated home theater in the basement of my home. I ran the speaker wires for 7.1 in the walls and I ran the cables for the sub-woofers and for the projector (both component video and HDMI) in the walls/ceilings. All of the cables were purchased from Impact Acoustics.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
No, currently no inwall for me. I feel my room isn't big enough plus my wife would be very unhappy if I start tearing up the dry wall. I currently run the speaker wires under the baseboard.

Bryguy.

K

kmcolli

Audiophyte
Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall? YES If not, why? If yes, are they digital or analog? Both What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install? New construction, so nothing besides length

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DerekL

Audiophyte
No, I have not needed to run any in wall yet. I am planning on setting up zone 2 on my receiver for the baby's room soon though.

I have not had time to run the wires and install the in-wall speakers yet

I am a little concerned about getting the wires fished through the top plates in the wall and to the box without cuting large holes :).

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
Currently all interconnects are ran outside of walls. This is due to a couple of reasons. First of all, most of my components are located close enough to each other that I don't feel running interconnect inside of walls is necessary. Second, I don't feel the investment and work involved with installing cabling in my existing walls is worth the effort. If I had a new home or components farther apart from each other, I'd definatley look into it. I believe the look is much cleaner creates less obsticles once installed.

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
no, nothing in-wall. // i rent so i cannot run anything through the wall. // i would be concerned not to cut any wires in the wall or run any of my new cables near power wires, etc...

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Interconnects in-wall or not?

Question: Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall? If not, why? If yes, are they digital or analog? What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install?

Response: I do not have any interconnect inside any wall. Why? Simply because ever since I set up my home theater system in 2000, I have never acquired the know-how to perform -- or was ever willing to pay for -- the in-wall installation of interconnects. Consequently, I have "made do" with the unsightly tangle of cables jumbled behind my entertainment system and running across the sides -- and even down the middle under a throw rug -- of my home theater/family room floor. In short, I have learned that although in-wall installation isn't cheap, my in-wall ignorance came with a practical and aesthetic price! :(

T

TheBattler

Audiophyte
I have not ran my cables through and behind my walls yet. I plan to in the near future though. They will be both Digital and Analog with only 1 set of Analog cabling being component. That is to say if the Xbox 360 doesn't release an HDMI cable anytime soon. The reason I haven't added the in-wall solution was because of cost. I'm planning to be adding it myself with a friend of mine though.

S

star2sound

Enthusiast
no in-wall cable runs because I want to keep the cables as short as possible to reduce signal degradation

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Interconnects thru walls

As many other Audioholics have stated, I have no line level cables (analog or digital) running inside of walls or between rooms, because it is unnecessary - all my primary componants are in one place, and I have a secondary small system in a separate location. That said, I did install significant speaker wire in my walls when I built my house, for both a 2 separate 5.1 systems and 2 sets of external speakers, and have significant RJ45 and Cat 5e cable run to numerous outlets from my home run cabling closet.

The challenges or obstacles I have encountered during the in-wall install were pathway planning around major structural supports (multi-story house), or having to drill through such supports.

Pat Frye:cool:

J

jsmcwilliams

Audiophyte
Yep. I ran component, composite and HD15 to my projector. I will be adding HDMI as soon as cables are certified compliant with the new 1.3 spec. Also, I will add a run of Cat 5 to an adjoining room for a future media server.

I had two challenges in installing in-wall cables:
1) Few vendors at that time (Nov 2005) knew whether their cables were CL2 certified and I only wanted to install CL2 so I wouldn't run into inspection problems when it comes time to sell the home. I used Impact Acoustics HD15 because it was certified but I went with Blue Jeans Cable for the component and composite because they were the only vendor with affordable cables that would tell me their cables were CL2 rated.
2) my HT room is an exterior basement room with cinder block walls faced with studds and drywall so running crossways across the studs would've been very difficult. So, I ran inside the walls and ceiling for runs that paralleled the studs/joists and then ran in the corner of the ceiling for the rest. The plan is to cover these with crown molding ( I am waiting on my HDMI cable to put up the molding!) I was gratified to later see that the audioholics.com crew found this was their best option too in the new refernce theater!

D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
I have my subwoofer cable running through walls and ceiling into the attic and then back down to the sub. They are fairly unobtrusive. If I ever build a dedicated HT room, I will probably do in-wall cabling. The only problem I had was talking my wife into letting me drill a few holes. That wasn't too hard because I used to have wires running all over the place and this was definitely a step up. Thanks for the opportunity. Dan

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
i don't run any cables in-wall, simply because it would be impractical and unnecessary in my relatively diminutive, pre-war manhattan apartment. aside from that, i prefer short cable runs whenever possible.

M

Mat_M

Audiophyte
Contest Question: Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall?
-No I don't.

If not, why? I have these cable covers that keep them out of the way. They use pins to stick to the wall.

If yes, are they digital or analog? What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install?
-N/A

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Contest Question: Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall?

No, I do not.

If not, why?

My walls are plaster-construction, and since I have easy access under my floor (via the basement), there's not need to mess with in-wall installation.

If yes, are they digital or analog? What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Contest Question: Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall? If not, why? If yes, are they digital or analog? What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install?

No I do not run any of my cables in wall for my 2 channel system, however i did in my theater. I would like to have run my 2 channel in wall but its too late now, the house is built and i dont want to do it THAT bad.

One obstacle is the added lenth needed in most cases, and just hoping no drywall screws end up in the cables.

A

acurtas

Enthusiast
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Contest Question: Do you run any of your digital or analog interconnects between components in-wall? If not, why? If yes, are they digital or analog? What are the potential challenges or obstacles you have encountered or are concerned about encountering during the in-wall install?
I run the coax HDTV signal and ethernet in wall (along with speaker wires for the LCR speakers).

I opted not to run component hookups (mainly video) becasue of the cost and thickness of the bundle (my conduits are almost full now as-is). So a better approach was the wires listed above and all gear in the back of the room.

Biggest challenge was snaking the wires through the riser, soffet, and front wall. It was hard enough with the bends in the conduit. If I had not put that it, it probably would have been impossible without major drywall re-work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis