Enter to Win: HDMI or DVI Cable from DVIGear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
DVIGear wants your opinion about Warranties
…and we’re willing to give you the shirt off our backs for it !

In the competitive world of online retail, customer service and warranty policies can make or break a company. We want your opinion on warranties offered by online retailers, so we’re giving away our extremely popular Super High Resolution (DVI/HDMI) cables to five (5) randomly selected winners that respond to the questions below.

Each winner will be able to choose one cable of his or her choice up to 7.5 meters. Also, five (5) randomly selected winners will receive a DVIGear t-shirt in the size of their choice. Each t-shirt and cable will be delivered at absolutely no charge!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
  2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
  3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “Seeing is Believing”. Use discount code AH-0406 to get a 5% discount on ANY of our Super High Resolution DVI and HDMI cables.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
T

thescrub

Enthusiast
Depends on how familiar I am with the manufacturer and what I expect of the product. For cables, if I'm paying more that $30 I look carefully at the both the written policy and the companies reputation for backing up that policy.

For cables, 10 years or more.

If it is exchanged, nothing. If it's returned for refund, 10% restocking fee. This question is harder for the DVI/HDMI (HDCP) cables. There are so many places that this system seems to be broken that for a non-professional a lot of tracking down a problem is trial and error. Every manufacture along the chain is assuring you that it’s not their product that is causing the problem.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
1. I expect the warranty to be appropriate for the equipment I'm purchasing, regardless of online or brick-and-mortar. If there is no warranty, I am less inclined to purchase.

2. Electronics warranties should be reasonable, like 1 year or something like that. For cables, I don't really think warranties apply. It's either defective or it isn't.

3. If the product itself has no defects, but also did not perform adequately to the task I purchased it for, then I do not expect any restocking fee.

J

Jeje2

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
  2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
  3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?
  1. A lot with euipment - on cables I'm not quite as demanding in duration
  2. To me the duration isn't the big issue - for quality cables I see it more importnat to recieve a 100% siganl quality gurantie (even if short) an all signal levels (ex: 480i & 1080p)
    (I have recently upgraded to a PJ with HDMI receiver - needed scart -> component, dvi->hdmi & hdmi -hdmi cables - to me most important would have been a test-at-home-with-full-return-if-problems guarantee)
  3. This is hard question. As a user might have the cable running somewhere where it get's disturbances from the surroundings so that the reseller cann't duplicate the problem - is the cable defect or? So I return to Q2 - shorter 100% gurantee for cables would be more important for me.

As my equipment don't get moved alot - I'm pretty sure the cable can function a long time (If it did work in the first place). Ok, maybe a defect connector might be a problem appearing later, but in that case Q3 would yield it defect anyway, so...

Story about the SCART -> component
I bought a Topfield 5100PVRc recently. It has ability to give out YUV signal through the SCART with a special cable. The cable that came with the box itself made the picture turn greenish randomly every now and then. After a couple of days I was fed up - then I was advised on the net to get a better cable. Well found finally a shop that had this special cable: 1m SCART to component with goldplated connectoires 30€ :eek: - Asked If I could return if didn't solve my problem, well they didn't give me this quarantie. Finally bought it anyway and luckily it solved my problem - Now the pic. is good. Now if only I would have had the return option...

S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
1. Warranty is the 3rd thing I consider after product quality and price.
2. 1 year.
3. The customer should not be charged any fees for returning a product under warranty. However the customer should only be allowed to return the product for exchange of the same product or store credit.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
I take it in a lot. If my product stops working i dont want to be stuck wasting all that cash on it.

Atleast 5 years. Its important companies stick by their product.

I dont think their should be a restock fee. If the product is not exactly what the customer wants, then let them return it.

R

ryan1706

Audiophyte
1. I dont look at the warranty to much, its mostly quality. If its a quality cable you dont have to worry about a warranty.
2. About Five years, cables should not where out to much.
3. If the customer is not happy with the product then the seller should have no problem restocking it for free.

L

loserguy

Audiophyte
1. I don't generally consider warranty because I try to buy reliable products from reputable manufactures.

2. 5 years, if the prodcuct is any good. it should last longer.

3. at most 5% is it requires special packaging. but if the product is defective than free

R

raf1005

Enthusiast
1. Very little. If I am concerned about a Warranty I do not buy online.
2. 3 years for cables. 1 year for the rest
3. Either the buyer pays for return shipping or issued a refund for the product.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
warranty is important for expensive things.. manufactures warranty plus a 30 day warranty through the site.

for cables? they should be at least 5 years. switchers should be 3-5 years too.

restocking fees are unfair. if it was returned that means the customer wasnt happy with the product. i shouldnt be charged for receiving something i didnt like.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
1. I rarely consider the warranty policy of the website. It is the manufacturer warranty that matters most to me and I expect any website to support that warranty if they are supposed to. But, since most manufacturers require you to call them directly, it has little impact on the website. I STRONGLY feel that any website selling a product from any manufacturer that does not have a manufacturer warranty (void due to online sale/unauthorized/etc.) MUST advertise that there is no warranty on the product. Then I consider some sort of warranty much more important.

2. Cables should never go bad really, but I would think that a 3 year warranty is appropriate. I also feel that this is appropriate for all electronics equipment that is designed to last. It imparts a lot more confidene in the product and forces the designing company to actually consider the engineering that is involved with the product. Why in the world would a company care how well they build something if they KNOW they only have to support it for 12 months? "Oooops, we did a lousy job designing this, but the product fails between 10 and 18 months, so we aren't going to fix it or warn people. We'll just keep selling it." No, build it to last, and stand behind it for 3 years at least. Especially with switchers and electronics that are actually used by people and are supposed to work correctly without issues for decades, not just years.

3. Restocking fees are questionable. If a cable is returned, unopened in the packaging, then zero charge should be levied against a customer. If a product is returned because the customer didn't like it, a fee appropriate to how much the product must be discounted to sell should be applied. Say 10 to 20 percent - but this amount should be something that may be negotiable for customers that do a lot of business with you or are particularly obnoxious, etc. I think that people who buy online, just to try it out, then return stuff and have no penalty at all, never learn to take responsibility for their actions or buying decisions, and they most definitely won't help to keep costs down for the rest of us.
ON THE OTHER HAND: If you get a product back in and charge a restocking fee, don't turn around and sell that product as a 'new' product. It is open box, and should reflect a 10 or 20 percent discount for those who want to buy it.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
1. Things I consider in order...Quality, Price and Warranty
2. 3-5 years for a good product.
3. The customer should not be charged any fees for returning a product if specific problem is covered under warranty. This is where the internet direct company would HAVE to eat a little profit in order to put the mind of the customer at ease with an internet direct purchase. GOOD customer service WILL keep them coming back!

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic

Not too much. All other things being equal, the better warranty would get my dollars. But I look at quality and price before warranty info.

Cable generally either work right away or they don't. Thus, a 1 year is akin to a 10 year or whatever. Switchers, converters, why not at least 5 years?

No restocking fee if returned under warranty. Some issues with regard to cable layout can not be duplicated by a munufacturer.

B

baudilus

Audiophyte
Answers.

For me, there is a direct correlation between the price / value of the product and the warranty policy. The more I'm paying, the more I consider the warranty.

For high-quality cables, I would expect a very long warranty period (around 3 - 5 years), but I would also expect the warranty to be limited to "everyday use." For electronics, I think a good warranty would be a full 3 year warranty against defects and malfunctions. Again, "everyday use" stipulations apply.

3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charged a restocking fee?
I don't believe that there should be a restocking fee. If the manufacturer cannot reproduce the problem, it does not negate that there may have been a problem while the user had it. A restocking fee will only be seen as punative by the user, and will serve to influence his/her decision to purchase from that manucfaiturer in the future. I would, however, expect to pay for shipping costs, if shipping is involved.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
DVIGear Contest

1. When purchasing online I usually purchase directly from the manufacturer or from an authorized dealer. This is important because you can't see or try the equipment before you buy it and it isn't as simple as driving across town to return the item.

2. I think a one year warranty is reasonable for electronics and 2-3 years for cables.

3. It is nice to have a 30-60 day trial period in which the customer could return the cable in new condition without any charges. After that point, a restocking fee is reasonable. I think that you will find more returns of HDMI and DVI cables as customers try them out and discover compatibility issues between their cable box, receiver, and HDTV.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
1) Warrenty is a consideration... however even more so is their return policy. so... warrenty is maybe 10% of consideration. But return w/o recipt, or pre-ship return, or what-ever can be done to reduce the hasel is really important

2) Warrenty on cables should be at least one year. Beyond that is not important to me... since that should cover the infant mortality issues. However policy for a manufacturing issue (ie. out of spec coating that fails after 5 years) should be still covered.

3) Restocking fees are rediculous. A warrenty return... even on parts that are good are a normal cost of buisness. Now... if someone is obviously taking advantage of it... reject the part and return ship COD... and refuse any more returns (ie. abuse rider in the warrenty agreement). This 15% restock fee that so many shops have is understandable if there are ACTUAL DAMAGES that warrent such a fee (such as custom build components or damage to the return so that it can not be resold as new)... however a new cord that's taken out of it's shrink wrap and then returned is overhead. The customer is paying for return shippage and losing out on the use of the cord... so he isn't trying to screw the system... just trying to figure out what is going on. Be polite. Help him out... "sir, the cord is within specs... please check other components ..." even a FAQ "how to test your cord" would be nice. That is a service that keeps customers (you paid to get him in the first place... you might try to keep him) not... I'm going to jack you for more money.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I always see how long the warranty is, but don't worry about it unless it is an expensive item.
One year warranty on a cable should be plenty. I have never had a cable go bad yet once it is installed.
You should have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee if sent back new in original packaging. Any other condition a restocking fee should be charged.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) For cables, I have never once even bothered to check if they came with a warranty because it is a CABLE. However, I did actually have a connector loose connection internally on one interconnect and I took it (with receipt) back to the retailer and they replaced the cable free of charge after 2 years, no questions asked, no charge.

2) 2-3 years seems resonable to me.

3) Restocking fee is very understandable as long as the fee is reasonable. 10-15% is not out of the question. If a customer returns an item and it is foudn to be without defect, then a charge is also reasonable IMO. I agree with BMXTRIX, that item can no longer be sold as new if it has been opened and should not be repackaged and sold as new.

B

BOSS10L

Enthusiast
Contest Questions:

When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?

It depends on the type of product and price of that product. For a $20 cable, 30-90 days should suffice, but for something like my Plasma, one of the main reasons I did choose the NEC over other models was the 3 year warranty.

How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?

Again, depends on pricing and what it is. Cables should be 30-90 days, but then again, I can't see spending more than say $20-$30 for any one cable regardles of warranty.

Switchers, splitters and converters should be warrantied for 12 months against mechanical defects and workmanship. Obviously if some ham-fisted fool crams and yanks cables in and out and it breaks, then no, it shouldn't be covered. That's always tough to prove though.

In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

Maybe it's just me, but if I have an issue with something I purchased over the internet that was under $100, unless it frustrated me to no end, or was just a matter of principle (my wife says I can be stubborn :D), I would probably just eat it. My time is much more valuable than that.

Great customer service, detailed directions, and helpful techincal support (I know, they're cables, how hard can it be :D) go a long way to minimizing RMAs. Of course, you're always going to have some rate of turn-over, that's just part of the biz.

So, in my opinion, if a customer has contacted support (and there is verifiable proof on your end) and been properly instructed, then a restocking fee is reasonable.

Last edited:
Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
1. Depends on the type of product and cost....anything that is non-mechanical (no electrical moving parts) e.g. cables...shelves....etc. Its not that big of a deal....and 90 days is fine. On mechanical/electrical items e.g. dvd player or receiver, I definintly want to see their warrenty info and procedure....should be easy to find as well, not hidden somewhere.....that automatically sends up red flags to me if it is hidden.

2. "90 days is fine", Having said that, I think that if a company really stands by their product, then 5 yrs. for cables would send a message to me that this company really believes in their product quality! Switchs/converters etc. at least 2 years...three would be nice, but two is more realistic and feasable.

3. Yes if a consumer sends a product back to the manufacturer and its found to be 'up to spec'...then a restocking fee is ok or item return.....though it would say alot to the consumer if they were not charged.

e.g. I sent a pair of two year old bose $150 headphones back to bose because the headband broke after I had them for about 2/3 months and I taped them up and used them for a while then they broke again and I put them in my desk for a year.....then one day just called bose and explained and they had me send them back and they promptly sent me a new pair. Say what you will about bose in these forums...there is no questioning their customer service and I gained new respect for them and no longer bad mouth their product. So though there is definently cost to providing that type of service to your consumer base the long term benefits are you've won a fan for life....plus we underestimate the power of mouth and recommendations for marketing purposes.....Hsu/Axiom/SVS doesn't.....satisfied costomers sell the product for you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis