Enter to Win: HDMI or DVI Cable from DVIGear

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dstarosta

Audiophyte
warranty answers for contest

I donot take into much account the online retailers warranty. If it is a large ticket item I will purschase a 3rd party extended warranty plan.

I believe a 1 year warranty is all that is required for cables I quality cable such as yours if there is a defect I believe it would show itself right away.

Other electonics such as splitter should hold a 2 year warranty.

Yes a restocking fee is acceptable (not to exceed 15%)

Tom Andry said:
DVIGear wants your opinion about Warranties
…and we’re willing to give you the shirt off our backs for it !

In the competitive world of online retail, customer service and warranty policies can make or break a company. We want your opinion on warranties offered by online retailers, so we’re giving away our extremely popular Super High Resolution (DVI/HDMI) cables to five (5) randomly selected winners that respond to the questions below.

Each winner will be able to choose one cable of his or her choice up to 7.5 meters. Also, five (5) randomly selected winners will receive a DVIGear t-shirt in the size of their choice. Each t-shirt and cable will be delivered at absolutely no charge!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
  2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
  3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “Seeing is Believing”. Use discount code AH-0406 to get a 5% discount on ANY of our Super High Resolution DVI and HDMI cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Warranties

When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their warranty policy? Response: I seriously consider any online retailer's warranty policy -- which is why I buy from some and not others.

How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)? Response: 1-year minimum, if not 2, as a matter of establishing product confidence and gaining customers' trust and loyalty.

In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee? Response: The aforementioned situations suggests a serious miscommunication, one that probably could have been prevented with an informative website (especially a good FAQ section) and proactive and informed customer service. If a product is returned in perfect condition with a full refund, say within an advertised no-risk trial period, then there is no need to charge a "restocking" fee, since the buyer and seller are back at the initial status quo, after the buyer has probably paid for the product's delivery and/or return.

P

Palmetto

Enthusiast
1. From an online retailer, warranty is a big part for me b/c I can't physically see them or touch the item first.

2. One year for cables and for other electronics 3 years if well built. Also return policy w/in 30 days if not fully satisfied FOR ANY REASON.

3. If returned for any reason w/in 30 days full refund. After that return for replacement.

T

tylerdurden

Audioholic Intern
1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?

The amount of consideration I give to the warranty policy is in direct proportion with the cost of the item.

2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?

It's my belief that a company should stand behind their products as long as the company continues to operate.

3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

Every internet based company should have a set time frame for a user to try a product out without incurring costs. It's not like a user can walk in to a brick and mortar store to test the product before buying. But any returns after a that period of time should trigger a restocking fee, absolutely.

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
1. I hate to admit it, but I rarely give much thought to warranty duration. I guess I've been fortunate in that I've almost never had to file a warranty claim for anything I've ever purchased--AV stuff or otherwise (the ironic exception being my Onkyo receiver which is having warranty work done as I write this). So, no, an online retailer's warranty policy doesn't make much difference to me. However...

2. On cables I believe nothing less than a LIFETIME warranty is acceptable. There is virtually no wear & tear on any kind of AV cable, and I think manufacturers need to stand behind their products in light of that. Obvious signs of abuse are naturally excepted. My cables are plugged in and then that's it. I expect them to work forever thereafter.

3. Charging a restocking fee on returned merchandise that is not found to be defective sounds reasonable enough to me.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Contest Questions:
When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
VERY IMPORTANT!!! Whenever I see warraties for 1yr or less on ELECTRONICS and SPEAKERS, red flags go up...

How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
For cables, 1 year seems adequate. After that, it is usually abuse that causes them to fail...
Electronics should be AT LEAST TWO years, preferabley 5-20 (if Bryston can do it why can't everone else?! AND ALLOW IT TO BE TRANSFERABLE!!!

In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?
IF returned for refund and NO defects - this could be a BIG problem...
IS it an intermittent issue? IF not, restocking fees are appropriate.
WE should be talking about after a 30 day no questions asked policy as well.

S

skrivis

Junior Audioholic
I might pay attention to a money-back guarantee with a period of 30 days or whatever. I'm more likely to pay attention to the reputation of the vendor, and that will be due to a number of factors. It's quite possible that more people will be satisfied with a vendor that has a good warranty, so it could certainly help.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect a 3 year warranty for cables or switchers and similiar items. I don't expect the maker to cover things that I break by being rough on them...

If I just send something back for warranty service and it turns out that there's nothing wrong with it, then fees might apply. However, if I attempt to obtain support (make a good faith effort) and communicate with the vendor, am finally instructed to return it, and _then_ find there's nothing wrong with it - I think the vendor shares some blame.

In other words, if I'm not willing to make an effort to help resolve the issue and just want to send it back, I can't very well complain if I have to pay a price for doing that.

But, if I _am_ trying to resolve it and the vendor stumbles in providing support and just tells me to return it - I don't feel I should be dinged for it.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
1. Warranty is probably 20% of my consideration when paying top dollar for a cable product.

2. Warranties I belive are a reflection of the manufactures cofidence in their products. So if you belive that you have a great product ....offer a great warranty!

3. Offer the person a replacement under the warranty. If they request a refund and the warranty allows for it then yes charge a restocking fee.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
1. I take the warranty into consideration pretty heavily since you never know when something might be defective or break on you.

2. I think that there should be at least a one year warranty on everything, and maybe more than a year on products that are more prone to wearing out or breaking.

3. If the product is returned for warranty repair and it's not defective, then the customer should have to pay a small restocking fee.

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
1. I expect the warranty to a degree, most of the time its not nessesary

2. Electronics warranties should be reasonable, like 1 year or something like that. For cables, I don't really think warranties apply. It's either defective or it isn't.

3. If the product itself has no defects, but also did not perform adequately to the task I purchased it for, then I do expect to pay a restocking fee for not testing befor buying!!

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Sales 101

Contest Questions:

Less the policy and more the ease of it matters. With a 'bricks and mortar' store you can be face-to-face and work out a satisfactory conclusion. Virtual stores have the luxury of distance/ anonymity which could frustrate the consumer. In general any good retailer will support their products and their customer, warrantys always have caveats that favour the manufacturer not the consumer.

Cables should be two years or less as there are no moving parts and any manufacturing defect should show in that time; realistically they will show in the first few days. Any solid state product like switchers, splitters and converters being absent moving parts should also be two years or less. Mechanical devices like switches should be one year or less; mechanical faults often only show after wear in these and there is no control by the manufacturer over how the part is used/ how often etc.

There should be a 'Service Charge' for the diagnostics and a report issued to prove the working capability. The retailer should also offer solutions as to where the fault may lie in the cutomer's system; a value added service if nothing else. Restocking fees should be handled deftly since the consumer may have made an error of some sort that forced the return; WAF not present, wrong part etc. A fee to return may discourage the end user from purchasing again but the contact does give the retailer the opportunity to sell the proper/ appropriate product. EVERY customer contact is an opportunity to sell, treat it as such and the retailer becomes a solution not a problem.

T

tomme35

Enthusiast
1. There must be some sort of warranty for electronics stuff, though for cables I am not very concerned.
2. Minimum 1 year warranty for cables, as well as switchers, splitters, converters.
3. If no defective found, buyer should be charged some restocking fees, but who can judge whats really "defective"?

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
1. I always take a warranty into concideration before making a purchase. I expect a warranty that covers defects as well as a 'satisfaction' warranty whereby I can return an item if I'm not satisfied with it.
2. From a walk-in store, I'm satisfied with a 90 day warranty. When purchasing from an online dealer, 90 days may not be enough if shipping is delayed - especially an international order. I think a 6 month warranty is plenty for cables, splitters and converters - they generally either work or they don't. All other accessories & components should carry at least a 1 year warranty in my opinion.
3. As I mentioned above, a warranty shouldn't just cover defects, it should protect customer satisfaction. If someone isn't happy with the product, they should have the option of returning it within a reasonable time period (in good condition). I'm more inclined to try products from companies that have a 'satisfaction guaranteed' commitment.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
Tom Andry [B said:
Contest Questions:[/B]
1) If I'm buying from an online retailer that I've never dealt with before, I take the warranty into consideration. However, once I know the products are of sufficient quality, I never think of it again.

2) I think warranties should be no less than 30 days and no more than 60 days. All warranties should start on the delivery date, not the shipping date.

3) If the item is in perfect condition but has been opened, there should definately be a restocking free, around 10-15% of the cost. If the product is unopened, a restocking fee could still be used but should be 5-10%. Of course, it's probably difficult to make different restocking fees for different products so 10% sounds like a nice average.

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

1 - Electronics need at least 1 year but none for switches, cable etc. as they work when you open the pack or they don't. I do need to be confident that there is a return policy for products defective right out of the box. As i am buying online, I like to see a return policy if just not happy with the prioduct..say 30 days.

2- Warranty period is not important if they can be returned in say 30 days if not working...but 1 year does seem to instill more confidence in the product.

3 - Defect could be hard to duplicate but should get a store credit only if after the stated return policy date.

D

DonutHunter

Audiophyte

Some, I look for a year if I can, but I know if it is bad at the beginning, it will be bad perm, so 90 days works if I have no choice.

Cables=30-90 days
Switchers=90
Splitters=90
Converters90

no, go for a flat inspection fee of $30

hope that helps.

DH

Z

Ziptree

Audiophyte
1. I consider the waranty in the top 3 of the most important apsects of a purchase. If the merchant does not trust his product to perform for a reasonable amount of time that to me says something about its quality.

2. Cables don't have moving parts. I think 3 to 5 years would be fair. For the other items listed, at least a year.

3. When it comes to online retailers, you can't play touchy-feely with any of the products. Also, you can't alaways be 100% certain from photos what the product is like. I, therefore, don't believe a restocking fee is fair.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
1 + 2) When I buy online, almost anything I would like to have at least a 3 year warranty.

I also like at least a 30 day return policy to the website of where I bought it, not the manufacture's.

If a product is returned in the time of the 30 day return policy or more/less... that should be fine, this should give the user a chance to see if they like it or not, or if it's compatible.

Senior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

moderatly seriously

1 year full replacement minimum

No.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
1. The warranty policy of an online retailer is very important to me and is a big factor in determing where to buy a product from. A longer warranty is better to me since it is nice to know that if the product breaks it can be replaced at no additional cost to me. I would not consider buying a product from a online retailer that did not offer a warranty unless the price was drastically reduced.

2. Switchers, splitters and converters should have at least a 1 year full replacement warranty on them. I feel that cables should have longer warranties because the chances that a cable will fail to work is very small and they should be able to last well beyond 3 years so cables should have a 2 or 3 year warranty.

3. In that situation there should be a restocking fee unless the product is sent back to the end user. If I use the warranty on a product I normally expect to get a replacement back and in the case that the product I sent in was not defective then it should be sent back to me. If the end user decides they dont want it back then they should be charged a restocking fee and the item should be sold as open box after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis