Enter to Win: HDMI or DVI Cable from DVIGear

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nhpm510

Audioholic
When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
Depends on prior experience w/product. It is generally a consideration and potential quality indicator that mfger will stand behind their product.

How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)? 5 years

In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? If user makes reasonable attempts, with mfger. tech support than no restock fee.
Have a 45 day return policy to allow for shipping and busy schedules!

jrice2487

jrice2487

Enthusiast
1. Warranty is very important. I will not even consider buying unless company has a good warranty.

2. Cables should have at leats a 10 yr. warranty

3.Nothing, Its not like the company is taking a major loss for it. Plus it was probably returned because the customer wasn't happy with it if nothing was found to be wrong.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
contest reply

1. I think the warrenty is a key factor. Especially if two similar products are priced similarly.

2. For items such as cables, I believe there should be lifetime warrentees. These items are seldom moved nor do they have moving components. They should last for a very, very long time. As for other devices (switchers, splitters, converters) I feel there should be at least a 5 year warantee. These items are more prone to failure than cables. However, like most electronic devices, the failure rate is extremely low after a small initial time frame.

3. Restocking fees are a joke. They should seldom be used.

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
1) Warranties are especially important, as price goes up the warranty should be better as well. Better products should have less problems. A warranty is also a sign of trust in their product. A poor warranty suggest poor product faith and little commitment to the end user.

2) I think cables should have life-time warranties. There is little that can be done to a cable outside running it over with a vacuum cleaner or maybe lightning strike that can ruin it. I don't think running over it with a vacuum should be covered however. Switchers and other electronics I would like to see a year, but preferably two. Granted most defects happen within the first year, but if I buy qaulity I would hope it would last me at least that long.

3) If the product is returned and found to have no defects then there should not be a penalty, assuming the product is going to be shipped back. At the very least they already had to pack it up and pay to ship it to the manufacturer and go without it for whatever period of time. At most they should be charged a diagnostic fee which would recoup some of the labor and shipping costs of the manufacturer.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Depends on how familiar I am with the manufacturer and what I expect of the product.

For cables, 10 years or more.

If it is exchanged, nothing. If it's returned for refund, 10% restocking fee. This question is harder for the DVI/HDMI (HDCP) cables.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?

I always consider a retailer's warranty, be it online or otherwise. It can be a deal breaker if the retailer's policies are too harsh against its consumers.

2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?

For cables its fairly irrelevant since they either work or dont, I've yet to have a cable fail after some use, of course a 'limited lifetime warranty' is always appreciated since it ensures peace of mind.

For electronics I think a limited lifetime warranty should be provided, it's both feasible and easily protected against abuse, and it usually ensures customer loyalty as well.

3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

Since the user typically has already paid for transport to rma the item, it should be sent back free of charge, with proper diagnostic information such a situation should just about never happen.

R

randymoe

Enthusiast
HDMI or DVI Cable from DVIGear

Warranty policy is a BIG part of my decision making, especially when it comes to audio/video accessories.

Warranty on these should be 10 years I think.

I understand restocking charges, unless the item has never been opened.

:)

E

eyeQ

Enthusiast
1- For online purchases, warranty is a crucial criterion. I'll fully read the policy, and only buy if it seems fair. BUT, if the product is priced so much lower than any other source (say grey market), then I'm willing to overlook the warranty, even if there's a possible issue down the road.

2- Cables: 5 yrs is fine. I don't really know what switchers, splitters and converters are, but if they have moving parts I'd say 3-5 yrs is OK.

3- First, I think it's OK to ask the client to send it at their own expense. If the item is returned in perfect condition, and the packaging is perfectly sellable, there should be no restocking fee if done w/in about 30-45 days. After that period, a restock fee seems acceptable, maybe 10%.

--Matt

E

Eagle

Audiophyte
Warranties are important to me. I wouldn't buy anything worthwhile without a warranty.

I would expect a cable to have at least a one year warranty, not including shipping time both ways.

If the product has no defects, but did not meet my expectations then I would not expect any restocking fee.

E

eb1

Audiophyte
1. Warranties are SUPER important with electronics purchases; I definitely compare them.
2. A three-year warranty. The warranty period should be reflective of the manufacturer's commitment to using top quality parts and top quality manufacturing techniques/standards; to me, a weaker warranty implies an inferior product (garbage in = garbage out = garbage warranty).
3. A restocking fee would be fair in that situation; base the fee on the condition of the returned item. Of course, you try to minimize those occurrences through interactive customer support.

F

fxs111

Audiophyte
hdmi

1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
For me the warranty is extremely important. In fact I feel that the price of doing business online should e that the return policy should be more relaxed than that of a walk in store.
2. How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
This is not a simple question to answer. I believe that the warrants should be definfed technically related to performance degradation and separately defined related to physical defects.
3. In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?
Easy question. If the product is returned for non performance, no restocking fee. If the product is returned because the buyer changed his or her mind, a reasonable restocking fee should be charged.

F

fdowns

Audiophyte
1. I normally only bother with the warranty when the item costs more than $50. Otherwise I consider it a discardable item.

2. Cables should carry a minimum two year warranty. Electronic devices should have at least a one year warranty.

3. If the item is returned because the user found that it did not meet his needs for a very specific reason (i.e., bandwidth, etc.) then there should be no restocking fee. If the user simple bought an item they could not use (wrong length, wrong connector types, etc.) then they should be charged a 10% re-stock fee.

D

dellbundy

Audiophyte
dellbundy

1Its all importantfor good warrenties for my equip.2the more high end my equip.is the longer Iwant warrnties to be accountable.3 I agree with the third statement

Last edited:
D

d-quinn

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:

Warranty policy is important because it shows that the company stands behind their product.

Warranties should be no less than 1 year.

If the product is returned within 30 days there should be no restocking fee. After that a fee would be okay.

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
1. I would expect the warranty to be inline or better that similar products from B&M stores
2. Cables, at least 1 year. There's very little to break in a cable. Electronics, well 90 days seems to be an industry standard now. That's a little short. I'd like to see at least 6 months if not a full year.
3. Well if it's not defective, the issue must lie else where. Sending a new product would be good customer service. If the product is to expensive to just replace, I'd suggest working with the customer to find the underlying problem. That's GREAT customer service.

D

davesino

Audiophyte
1) Because its an ONLINE retailer, I would would definately make sure they have a good waranty policy. If something was wrong with the cable(s), I wouldn't want any hassles or back paddling after I voiced my dissatisfaction with the product as its already a pain to have to ship it back.
2) 1 year for average cables. 3 years for high quality cables, especially since some cables cost as much as the quality components themselves.
3)There should not be a restocking fee. This leaves the manufacturer completely in charge of determining if there is a problem or not, when there may actually be a physical hit and miss problem (just hard to spot). I would not purchase cables from an online retailer who charged a restocking fee.

D

dekiel

Audiophyte
When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their waranty policy?
How long do you think a warranty should be for products like cables, as well as electronics like switchers, splitters and converters (please be as specific as possible)?
In your opinion, what should happen if a product is returned to the manufacturer under warranty and found to have no defects? For example, should the end user be charges a restocking fee?

When I purchase online I assume minimal retailer warrantee and other than "out of box" failures I don't expect cables to be covered. The more technology the longer the warrantee.
If the product is engineered properly and installation is intuitive the manufacturer should see minimal no defect returns and the risk should be borne by the manufacturure.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
1. It depends on the cost of the product. The higher the cost, the more that I take it into consideration.

2. 3 years, by that time your often ready to upgrade or change your system.

3. Customers should have a tryout period within which there would be no restocking fee (30 days is reasonable). After that, a small restocking fee I believe is reasonable.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
1. With online purchases, a warranty is of paramount importance, because it's that much harder to return items that are defective.

2. I would say a minimum of one year for all cables, splitters, switches, etc. If they're premium grade, then maybe a two-year warranty. For electronics, there's so much internally for things to go wrong, so those should be a year as well.

3. Past a certain time frame, yes, the customer should pay a restocking fee -- 10% maybe.

cheers,
supervij

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
1) it doesn't matter what their warranty policy, if I don't know someone who's had to deal with them after the sale. Manufacturer's can make any warranty they want but if it takes 6 months for a warranty adjustment I'm not going to shop there and will tell my friends not to shop there.

2) cables 90 days is fine. electronics min one year

3) products should be exchanged no charge. for hdmi cables its a hard call I have a friend who has a sony dvd player and sony tv and he hasn't found a cable yet that will stay put and have a decent connection. Nobody wants to pay a restocking fee ,but I understand that its needed, and I understand as long as its spelled out at time of sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis