Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear 2m SHR HDMI or DVI Cable!

What considerations are important when buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

• Price

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Perceived quality

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Physical appearance

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Actual performance

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Immediate availability

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Brand name

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Other (please specify in forum)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
<SPAN id='nointelliTXT'>DVIGear would like to get your opinion about DVI and HDMI cables. We’re giving away a 2 meter Super High Resolution DVI or HDMI cable (your choice) to ten (10) randomly selected winners that respond to the question below. One cable will be delivered to each winner at absolutely no charge. All winners will be invited to participate in an in-depth product design review in exchange for special incentives and prizes.

To enter, take the poll above and then post your more specific response to the question below:

What considerations are important when you consider buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

Please take into account all factors that you feel are important such as:

• Price
  • Perceived quality
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with
  • Physical appearance
  • Actual performance
  • Immediate availability
  • Brand name
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
  • Other (please specify)
Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “seeing is believing”. Order any of DVIGear's DVI and HDMI SHR cables now through August 31, 2005 and we’ll get a special Audioholics 5% discount off your normal cost. Please use order code AH-805 when you enter your order to ensure your 5% discount is correctly applied.

READ MORE about the new DVIGear SHR HDMI/DVI cables</SPAN>

Contest ends August 31, 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly after.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aliixer

Audioholic
DVIGear

New technology is adavancing and HDMI and DVI video connections seem to be replacing the standard component cables.

When I as a consumer look into purchasing new technology, such as HDMI cables, the specifications and infromation on quality are the most important factors. I would like a company that discloses its technical qualities of thier cables. This way I have the information I need to make an educated purchase.

Price, and physical appearance can be variable allowing for different budgets and applications per customer.

I also feel more confident purchasing from a company that has a guarantee on their product and employs excellent customer service pre and post sale.

Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
Of the list posted, there are three items that truly matter to me when selecting a cable of any sort...price point, actual performance, and customer service.

I don't want to shell out my last two pay checks for any cabling and thus I look for a product that performs without a massive price tag. Something lacking in the "snake oil" marketing that is evidently so apparent these days in home theater.

If the product performs, I don't care if it's pink in color with green polka dots, I'll use it. I would certainly prefer something in all black or silver, but obviously my point is that performance is everything to me. I want the best possible performance I can afford!

Customer service is vital to me, being that a huge portion of my job revolves around my ability to manipulate and control customers. I need to have a company that is well organized and efficient at dealing with any problems or questions I may have.

Thanks!

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
I

I look for a good balance of quality and value. I don't want a cheapo cheap sounding cable. I do also want them to look shnazzy to boot

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Build quality and price (not necessarily in that order). I'm in need of an HDMI cable, so I'll check out their stuff (or just win one! :D).

Jason

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think that I look for build quality at a reasonable price. No snake oil, no gimmicks, just a solidly built cable that measures well.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Value is what I look for good quality at an affordable price

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
Actual performance is king

Build quality is next

Helps a lot if it looks good too

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
HDMI/DVI cables should be built with quality components. More importantly however is the quality these components are put together. All this should be had for a reasonable price

D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
Performance is the most important thing, especially if the cable is a longer length. I expect great build quality so it will last forever, and at a price that I percieve is a value.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Build quality and Price. The cable should be constructed of adequate quality to perform its intended purpose. In the case of an HDMI cable, to pass a 1080P signal the specified length.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Perceived quality and actual performance. It should be at a fair price and work as promised.

Z

zoobcool

Audiophyte
The considerations that I believe are important when buying DVI/HDMI cables would begin with technology supported. There is no point for paying hundreds or thousands for a cable that cannot even support 1080p or for HDMI DVD-A and SACD. After making sure technology is straight, price comes into the picture because if you can get the same performance for a lot less then go for that. Next is the connectivity of the cables, because they cannot be easily removed when a little kid is playing with it but not stuck in there that changing cables is impossible. Next is easily available to everyone, not just sell them at high price sound and video stores that do not even exist in every state. Sell them online or broaden your audience to people who are stuck out in the boondocks. Next is being able to communicate with customer service reps to answer questions in making sure you system is correctly set up for their cables. Finally, as a bonus of having to fork over quite a bit of money for the cable that will be outdated in a few months, being able to get a discounted updated cable, or exchange the two, just a suggestion.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
I went with Price, Perceived Quality and Actual Performance. Basically I think I can have my cake and eat it too to some extent. I think cosmetics are important, but since the cable most likely will not be visible in my application, it won't matter.

-G

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
I think price & build quality are important, also knowing they can pass 1080P.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
There seems to be a lot of people complaining about their DVI video performance, noting that the analog component connection is often better. I would love HDMI to perform to the point where no one can argue that HDMI is superior to other connectors. Therefore I believe video performance is most important. Price is #2 because who wants to spend money any more than they have to on interconnects. A sturdy termination would also be a load off my mind. HDMI doesn't seem like it has the most solid termination. Maybe they could be screwed down like many RS232 connections?

D

dloweman

Audioholic
The way I understand it, all cables should deliver the same performance, so i think price is the most important factor, however with that said, the cable should look like it is a quality cable.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
I look for build quality and an assurance that the cable can handle long runs to my gear.

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
When the time comes for me to upgrade to a HDTV I will be looking for a DVI and HDMI cable. My first priority is it to be a good performer at 1080i. Second is build quality ( a close second). And finally, appearance. I am not too concerned about warranty or how easy the supplier is to work with because a cable is a cable and they usually don't wear out. However, I want the right cable going into this.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis