Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear 2m SHR HDMI or DVI Cable!

What considerations are important when buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

• Price

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Perceived quality

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Physical appearance

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Actual performance

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Immediate availability

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Brand name

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Other (please specify in forum)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RMK!

Cables

Actual performance, price and availability (in that order) are the evaluation criteria for me in purchasing cables.

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
I look for sufficient build quality at a reasonable price. Especially when
it comes to digital cable, I'm turned off by any claims that the cable does anything other than perfectly transmit the digital signal. No snake oil, no gimmicks, just a solidly built cable. In fact, an ad that contains jokes about people who would pay for promises that a cable can't actually deliver might make me more prone to purchasing the advertised cable.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I agree with the majority of posters that the performance (for a reasonable price) is the driving factor. I purchased a long-run DVI cable that had been tested with measurement instruments for signal degredation over the distance. I don't think such testing should imply any higher cost, as it's a one-time up-front cost.

G

gsuhoppy

Audiophyte
What's looks without performance? And what's the use of having great performance if nobody can afford it? Having a guarantee to perform higher resolutions doesn’t hurt either. Just my two....three cents :)

P

ptabib

Audioholic Intern
Price is always a factor but 1080p is here and now and is a must.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
I think that I look for build quality at a reasonable price. No snake oil, no gimmicks, just a solidly built cable that measures well.
Amen to that!

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Specifically price and quality are the top two with the future proof of 1080p gurarantee at least for the forseeable future is in the mix too. I think it goes without saying that appearance will come into the process at some point and if the actual performance is not up to standard then they will get returned and that will be that. Im not brand specific for the most part I am looking for good performance with good value. If i can consistantly get that from a specific brand then that works for me too.

N

Nozferatu

Enthusiast
HDMI / DVI Cable

Actual performance is at the top of my list but is offset by price.

When I say this it is a ratio of price to performance that I feel is the real sway towards one cable or another.

I am not willing to pay 50% more for a cable that gives me 2% better performance.

Customer service is a plus but if the cable performs it is a non-factor.

Regards and good luck!

V

victoriacoffee

Audioholic Intern
Response to questions

When purchasing anything, I always look at quality first, then asthetics, price, and lastly ease of use.

If I am able to purchase an audio/video item based upon quality, then I won't need much support down the road. Asthetics are important but I'd much rather have function over form. Price can be a barrier to a purchase but I usually give myself a range, then research products within it. Ease of use is last on my list of considerations as I don't mind going through a process for set-up. Once done, it's done, except for the ever present "tweaks".

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
In cables, as well as any other product, of primary importance to me is performance and quality. Then price. The product with the best value wins.

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
is very important, (learned the hard way)
Price has to be comperable to the quality.
I'm a firm beliver of quality connections.
After envy of friends systems, I went with Monster,
but have been seeing latly I made the wrong move!
Maybe I can test these out and see what DVIGear
is like!!!!!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Unless you are rich price is always a consideration. However enigmatic it may be, people demand low price, but high quality. Of course both qualities are always relative.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Price is always paramount as we all know a cable is essentially a cable. Looks only count on display as the cable won't be seen installed. As long as it does it's job.

L

lenjdorr

Audiophyte
Image quality(also being able to handle 1080P), thus cable performance is paramount. Then price becomes a factor. Price has to be reasonable based on perfomance gain. Brand name is not a factor. Support should be a non-issue for cables. Asthetics is of minor concern, but of equal quality and price would sway my decision.

Thanks for the opportuity,

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
The bottom line

Performance, Perforamce, Performance. We spend a lot of money on great equipment, How can we possible cheapen it with inferior cables? I spend a lot of time picking the best equipment that all have HDMI, I want to make sure that I get the best connection as possible.

B

bobmaniac

Audiophyte
Cable choices

First, when spending so much money on a cable it better handle 1080p because I want the cable to last for as long as possible. I may not have 1080p, but I may 2-3 years from now and would like to not have to rebuy any cables. Next obviously is the price verse performance. Lets say on a scale from 1 to 100, I buy a cable at quality 90 for $100, im not going to pay $200 for a cable at 92 quality. I would also like the cable to last very very long time and maintain its quality. Finally, i think its important for a cable to be fire proof, after all what good is a system if it goes up in flames.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
jaxvon said:
build quality at a reasonable price. No snake oil, no gimmicks, just a solidly built cable that measures well.

Ditto! and isn't that the audioholics motto!!! :D

wozzer

wozzer

Audiophyte
I generally buy based on the reputation of the manufacturer.
Price is always an issue - I'm not made of money, so I'm usually more interested in something a little less than the top product but certainly well above the average.

K

Kid Red

Audiophyte
For me, not as rich as some, actual performance would dictate what I might actually spend on the cables. I won't go cheap just to be cheap, but knowing Monster is twice as expensive as similar cables I won't spend just to spend.
I also pay attention to build quality, but not necessarily the style or looks as the cable will be behind everything and not visible. Quality more then style, is factored in a good performing cable I think. I mean, if the cable is that good, would it not at least look good as well?

Price is important, but if a few dollars more gets the best performing cable, then it's money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis