Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear 2m SHR HDMI or DVI Cable!

What considerations are important when buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

• Price

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Perceived quality

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Physical appearance

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Actual performance

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Immediate availability

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Brand name

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Other (please specify in forum)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I typically don't select the "Best" unless there's a dramatic performance boost. I can usually settle for a 2% reduction in performance for a 50% reduction in price. Economically, I just can't afford perfection.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
I feel the most important thing is to establish you really need them before you buy. If your display is ISF calibrated you probably won't notice the diff between dvi and component.

Remember HDMI is like duct taping a dvi to a coax. Try and use separate cables until all the bugs get worked out.

Keep the cost of all cabling in purportion to the cost of the rest of your system.

Peter M.

sks939

sks939

Enthusiast
I've read a few posts on this website about HDMI standards still being baked that I am in no rush to switch over.

eBryggis

Audiophyte
Price *Quality Constant = Quality Points

I vote for Price.

This because the Price often defines the quality of the cable somewhat, and quality is what we want right. But as a low budgeter as me I would go for the lower price.

Price is always a variable for quality. This is how I see it.

Lets say it costs 100$...

Price * Quality Constant = Quality

100 * 3.246 = 324.6 Quality Points :D

Some brands tend to take more for the same quality but in general this is how it works.

C

cropet

Audiophyte
I'm only a novice when it comes to tech specs on cables in general, and I'm not really interseted in obtaining an EE to become one. All I am interested in doing is buying the right equipment that supports my upconverting DVD player to get the most out of my Hidef plasma monitor. To me performance/quality & price are the two over-riding issues. To me it seems like you should try to buy the highest quality/best performing equipment at the cheapest price you can get. The problem seems to be in cutting through all of the marketing hype to figure out what is actually reasonable.

P

Packk01

Audioholic Intern
Dvi/hdmi

1080p is becoming more important as LCD panels shift over and now rear projection TV's. Because of this, I believe that the most important aspect of a good DVI/HDMI cable will be the ability to handle 1080p

P

pmysliwi

Audiophyte
quality doesn't matter

I would like to say that quality matters, but cables seem to be an afterthought and I end up buying what's available.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Clint DeBoer said:
What considerations are important when you consider buying and installing DVI and HDMI cables?

Please take into account all factors that you feel are important such as:

• Price
  • Perceived quality
  • Manufacturer is easy to work with
  • Physical appearance
  • Actual performance
  • Immediate availability
  • Brand name
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
  • Other (please specify)
Price matters for all of us who are not rich. It obviously must work without any noticeable flaws, or it is worthless. Waiting to get it is obviously bad, as one will want to be able to hook up one's equipment as soon as one has the equipment. It should also be durable enough to last indefinitely, though I personally do not abuse my wires, and therefore do not need it as robust as some others. Of course, if one can see it in one's setup, how it looks matters, though this is the least important thing to me (among those things that actually matter to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis