Enter to Win: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?
  • Amp/Receiver
    Pioneer VSX-21txh elite receiver. 770 watts into 7 channels.
  • Speakers
    EMP Impression 5.0 Black Ash finish; includes E5ti towers, E5ci center, and E5bi for surrounds.
  • Sub(s)
    eD DiY dual 13av.2, finish: DiY piano gloss (with only spray paint!, really ;))
  • Sources
    Comcast HD-DVR, PS3 for all other media viewing goodness
  • AV furniture
    Very comfortable leather couch :)
  • Other
Samsung LN46A650 for a superb picture!

2) What would you change in your home theater system?
Possibly the receiver. Pioneer's MCACC auto calibration works pretty well; however it doesn't calibrate lower frequencies very well. Also maybe my 3.0 channels too, for something more full range and that isn't ported on the rear (kind of a drag with my center channel, especially where it's placed).

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?
More power to my speakers or adding some sort of equilization for 100hz/lower frequencies.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.
Pretty important, but overall subsonic response was more important; therefore 8. So, when I built my dual 13av.2, I put my own piano gloss finish which matches the black ash of the EMP's perfectly! (they're very glossy and black)

Attachments

Last edited:
jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
1)
Amp/Receiver
Yamaha 663- Black

Speakers
RBH 61-SE, RBH 661-SE, RBH 44 SE- All Black

Sub(s)
Hsu VTF 3 MK 2- Black

Sources
Oppo DV-981HD
PS3
HTPC

AV furniture
Leather couch

Other
None

The room, currently the family room. I would like a dedicated HT room so I could install acoustical treatments.

Acoustical treatments or sub

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.
9, seeing as everything was black I wanted a black sub but the shade of black and the finished didn't have to match exactly.

Thanks!

R

rrehart

Enthusiast
Response: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System

1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?
a. AVR: Sony STR-DA5300ES, black satin finish
b. Spearkers: Miller/Kriesel THX-1150 7.2 system (2x V1250THX subs), black matt finish
c. Sources: PS3, DirecTV HR24-700, Archos5 tablet. - all black gloss finish
d. AV Furniture: none
c. Other: Samsung LN-T5265F (black gloss), Win7 Media center PC, custom built Entertainment Center, Harmony 890 PRO IR/RF remote, Z-wave lighting.
a. Like to change the AVR to an Amp/pre-amp setup
b. Better remote for Macro programming
c. Seperate Gaming/Blu-Ray platform
a. Remote control!
4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color).
a. 8

Last edited:
J

Juan Fonseca

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver - Onkyo PR-SC885 Processor, Black, Emotiva IPS-1 Amplifier.
Speakers - Dana 640 onwall, Cherry.
Sub(s) - Dana Sub600, Cherry.
Sources - Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-Ray, Black. U-Verse cable box, Silver
AV furniture - VTI BL Series Audio Rack, Oak and Black. Landmark TV Lift Cabinet.
Other - Pioneer PRO-1150HD, APC H15 home theater power conditioner, Silver. Panamax MFP-400 2-Outlet Surge Protector. URC MX-810/MRF-260, Bluejeans Cables.

The speaker system.

The subwoofer.

10. At the time I was trying to blend the sub to the family room decor but at the end I put it next to the couch where it is not visible.

Last edited:
C

codyman

Audiophyte
Amps: Marantz 2230 (used as pre for turntable and reel to reel) w/ wood enclosure + Yamaha AV-66 black as main amp

Speakers: JBL Lancer 33's natural light wood + Sanyo "the beasts" SS-667 dark brown

Sub: 12" sony -- unknown model number but from late 90's, black

Sources: Pioneer DV-400 HDMI DVD Player (silver), 42" LG LCD (black), Pioneer PL740 turntable w/ grado prestige cartridge, Sony TC660 Reel to Reel

Furniture: Ikea modified frankenstein'ed DIY combination of Lack's and Expedits (particularly for the vinyl) - all in black

2) Well due to a move to a new city six weeks ago, I no longer have 5.1. My previous roommate had a nice Onkyo and 6 speaker setup, however, I now have relocated due to jobs and no longer have surround sound... for now. I am an avid music enthusiast so I still have all my stereo speakers / amps / turntable and all of that is in order, but I really need to get a 5.1/7.1 setup going again as stereo just doesn't do any justice having lived with surround for so long.

3) Amp. I wouldn't get rid of both my amps right now (not a big fan of using surround amps for Stereo music sources, particularly compared to how my Marantz 2230 still purrrs with vinyl and tape sources) but for surround (and since I lack it currently), I really need a 5.1/7.1 amp.

4) 7. I was neutral about the subwoofer as long as it was dark (ended up with a black one) because my other speakers for the most part are dark as well. I wouldn't want to have say black speakers and a silver sub though. To me, speakers aren't supposed to visually stand out - sound is more important (although of course you don't want something hideous detracting from your setup, thus why I usually play it conservatively and stay with black and/or dark woods)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Amp/Receiver : Marantz SR8300, Emotiva XPA-3 - black
Speakers: GR Research A/V-2s all around - Mains are medium cherry, surrounds are black.
Sub(s) : Custom build Adire Audio Tempest - black
Sources : Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3, Dish DVR - all black
AV furniture : Salamander Synergy S-30 walnut w/glass doors and perf sides.
Other : Panamax 5100, APC H10, Oppo HM31 HDMI switch

I am currently looking for a new sub; not sure if I will build myself or buy prebuilt. I have wanted to do room treatments for years and I am working on that right now. Also considering a larger display.

My next big upgrade will most likley be a new Pre/pro.

1 - didn't matter because all of my subs have been black. My next sub however, I would definitely consider something with a nice wood finish that perhaps matched my rack or main speakers. Something like rosenut appeals to me, but doesn't match the rest of my gear.

D

Dreamfallen

Audiophyte

Amp/Receiver: None
Speakers: None
Sub: None
Sources: Sony PS3 (Launch Model Black), Sony R60XBR2 HDTV (Black/Silver), Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD Player (Black), Xbox 360 Elite (Black)
Furniture: BDI Avion Noir Home Theater Stand (Black Ash)

Add a sound system and possibly upgrade the TV to a ~58" plasma.

Excluding audio upgrades it would have to be the TV with an up-to-code wall mount installation.

Speaking hypothetically it would have to be a 7. I think the sub should aesthetically blend well with the other AV equipment but more importantly it should blend well acoustically.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

Mitsubishi WD-73733 73" DLP
Yamaha RX-V1800, Amp-Emotiva IPS-1
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDDVR
APC H15 Power Conditioner
PS3 40 Gig, Wii, XBOX 360 Elite Slim
Dell Vostro 400 HTPC
Def Tech BP7001SC, CLR3000, BPX, BP10
SVS PB13-Ultra in piano black on a Great Gramma
Harmony One

I would love to have a front projector instead of a tv.

The main speakers.

8 - I would prefer an exact match, but when getting a sub that is a different brand than your speakers, even though the veneer may be the same type of wood, it may not be an exact color match.

S

SupaKats

Audiophyte

1. Onkyo TXSR674 Black
2. Polk RTI4's for front and surround and CSI3 for center Black
3. Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Black
4. PS3 Black, XBox360 with HD-DVD add on White, Wii White, Sony 400 disc DVD Changer Black, Comcast cable Silver
5. TV Stand from IKEA Black with frosted doors
6. Panasonic TH50PZ800U Black

Would love to have a dedicated room and projector/screen.

Receiver - Would like more HDMI inputs so I don't have some things running to the Receiver and some to the TV. Would also like to have pre-outs so I can add an amp if need be.

1 - Doesn't matter. While it is an added bonus if they match performance/price/size(if space restricted) matter more.

L

leoajax

Audiophyte

a. Amp/Receiver: Denon AVR-888 (black)
b. Speakers: Energy Take FPS (fronts), Klipsch Quintet II (middle, surround and hights). All black
c. Sub(s): Polk Audio PSW10 (Black)
d. Sources: black HTPC (ATI RADEON HD 4350), DirecTV (silver)
e. AV furniture Wall mounted TV, wood (light brown) unknown maker furniture (made for PC). IKEA like.
f. Other: Samsung LN40B530, Generic cables, Recotón speaker cables.

Add a standalone Blu-Ray player, of course the speakers for those I'm going to win and the TV for a bigger 120 Hz one.

The receiver for the newest model (AVR-891 or 2311ci).

9. I like all equipment that's vissible to be the same finish, I may not have the biggest budget, but unless I'm getting good stuff for free, I preffer uniformity. Of course my sub is pretty visible (front side) on my setup.

R

RickVitzthum

Audiophyte
1) 1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo PRSC886 - Black, QSC RMX Amps Silver
2. Speakers - Onix Reference, Rosewood
3. Sub(s) - SVS Ultra 12, Black
4. Sources - Oppo DV0980H Black, VUDU XL Black, Pioneer BDP-51FD Black, Directtv HR21P Black
5. AV furniture - VTI HGR Series 6-Shelf Audio Rack Black/Glass
6. Other - NEC 50XR5

2) Seating

3) Blu-Ray Player

4) 4, prefer match but not required

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic

1. Marantz SR6001 (Metallic Black with Blue LEDS)
2. Yamaha NS A100XT (Matte Black and grey grills)
3. Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (Matte black with glass top)
4. PS3, Wii, PS2, Computer (not in the room)
5. Matte black TV, will soon be replaced soon with something probably in glossy black
6. LG 50PK550 with blue backlights

2) The speakers, add an external amp, and add some acoustic panels

3) The speakers, no questions there. This is something I am planning on upgrading in the near future.

4) 9, I would not have gotten the sub I did if I wasn't black. The only reason I am marking this as a nine is because if I got an amazing sub at an incredible deal I would probably deal with a color mismatch. Also, ideally the sub would have been less of a matte black.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
Krell HTS 7.1/ Krell KAV 3250 and B&K 2220
Speakers NHT 2.5if audiocenter and SB3
Sub(s) Epk Empire
Sources Apple TV, Sony bluray
AV furniture DIY Flexi
Other mitsu 55" rp TV

2) What would you change in your home theater system?Speakers, TV and Blu Ray

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers or TV

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 1 I went for power and size

L

ladiesman217

Audiophyte
1. What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes/colors?

TV: Panasonic PT-50LC14 (silver)
AVR: Marantz ZR6001 (black)
HDMI SWITCH: Marantz VS3002 (black)
DVD/DVD-A/SACD: Marantz DV6600 (black)
BLU-RAY: Panasonic DMPBD35 (black)
SPEAKERS: (four) Celestion F15 Bookshelf (dark apple)
CENTER CHANNEL: Celestion F48c (dark apple)
SUBWOOFERS: (two) Definitive Technologies ProSub60 (black)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. What would you change in your home theater system?

Create a dedicated theater room and graduate to a front projector.

3. What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?

Integrate either an Emotiva or Outlaw Audio Amplifier.

4. When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

Scale = 4. A system-wide match is nice, but when getting a subwoofer that is a different make than the speakers, performance is the deciding factor.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1.a-Pioneer elite 23 black
b.Selah audio rc2-silver
c.IB sub
d.PS3-black xbox-black
e.Sanus stands-silver
2. Flat screen tv and new stand
3.TV
4. Not important sub is built into floor.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU DON'T ENTER, SO I'M ENTERING!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors? (most sources are black)
Amp/Receiver Marantz SR-6001 (have an Adcom amp GFA-2535 powering my computer room!!Speakers All in black finish -- Polk RT-55's (front), Polk RT-38i's (rear), Polk CS-400 (center), Sub(s) MTX SW2, & Boston Acoustics XB6
Sources Denon DVD-2200 (w/SACD & DVD-A), Sony 32HS510 (CRT-not really a source), Comcast Explorer 8300HD DVR, Sony CDP-625 (CD Player), XBOX 360, PS3, JVC XL-R50000BK (CD Recorder), Sony RDR-GX355 (DVD Recorder)AV furniture TV Rack/Stand bought from Unfinished Furniture Mart and custom stained a nice dark espresso. For other pieces, an espresso bookshelf from Target. Other Can't fit anymore in living room. It's seeping into my other rooms. My 7year old son has a Sony cd player/alarm clock. Even my bathroom has an RCA boombox. Gotta listen to music in the shower!!
2) What would you change in your home theater system? Yes. Uh, I mean speakers first. TV second (but I love CRT's picture quality). External amp third.
3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Whichever one blows first....speakers, sources, TV, receiver no preference.
4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 3, but it would be a 9 if I still had my wife!!!
THANKS!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
Amp/Receiver - Cary Cinema 11, Silver, and Emotiva LPA-1 Black
Speakers - Rocket RS 1000, big foot, RS300 all African mahogany
Sub(s) - 2 Seaton Submersives, black matte
Sources - Oppo Bluray, HD Dish, XBOX360
AV furniture - Black AV stand with glass tops
Other - Dedicated HT room with treatments

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Next upgrade are speakers

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Next upgrade are speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 5, did not want the color to be totally different. Plain black works with any speakers

T

tyrael44

Audiophyte
Aperion Giveaway

1. Amp/Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-03txh receiver, Emotiva XPA-5
2. Speakers - Rocket RS850, RC200, RS450 all Rosewood
3. Sub(s) - AV123 MFW-15, SVS PB2-Plus both black
4. Sources - Blu-Ray Player, Xbox 360
5. AV furniture - 60" TV Stand
6. Other - APC H15

I would like to get room treatments.

I would replace the SVS subwoofer. It has tons of output, but it is not as clean as i would like.

1, It's not important to me that the subwoofer match the rest of the system. I like my subwoofers to be black and to not draw too much attention.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 black
2. Speakers - TSC (rip) center (don't know model), Velodyne CHT Front Row fronts and surrounds (all black)
3. Sub(s) - Klipsch SUB12 (black)
4. Sources - Xbox 360 (also used for Media Center streaming), Panasonic DMP-35k blu-ray (white xbox, black blu-ray player)
5. AV furniture - Tech-Craft Veneto SWP60 (walnut)
6. Other - Monoprice cables all over, URC RF20 remote

2) What would you change in your home theater system? It would be nice to have a sub that could go deeper and be 'tighter.' I would also like to upgrade my front speakers to have more range and 'volume'

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Front speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 1 - my sub is sandwiched between a loveseat and a table in the corner of my living room. It's hard to see it unless you're looking directly at it so the actual color is not something very noticeable.

P

Puppetz

Audioholic Intern
a. Yamaha RX-V661 used as a pre/pro for Emotiva XPA-5 and (just purchased/yet-to-arrive) XPA-2.
b. Aperion 6Ts, 6C, 6-ICs, and 632-ICs (went with in-ceilings for side/rear surrounds due to WAF and physical makeup of room)
c. Pair of SVS PC13-Ultras
d. 160GB iPod Classic (with all music imported in Apple Lossless), Sony PS3, Panasonic DVD player, DirecTV HD DVR.
e. Combo TV stand/rack I bought at Best Buy
f. SVS AS-EQ1 sub equalizer to make the Ultras play nice together.

2) What would you change in your home theater system? I'd change the physical layout of the room if I could. Our theater is in our great room, which has large open space in the back and to one side (over 7,300 cu ft).

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Without question, replace the Yamaha with a higher quality dedicated pre/pro.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 7: since my subs are located behind my mains and are visible, it was important the general color matched. Having said that, my towers are gloss black and the subs have a flat black cloth material cover. So the finish didn't need to match- what was much more important than the finish was the fact that the subs could actually fit (I went with cylinder subs to be able to fit them behind my main speakers).

I should mention that I am extremely satisfied with my Aperion speakers- excellent sound, impeccable fit/finish, and wonderful customer service. For the first time in my life, I have no desire to upgrade my speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis