Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificates from AV123

What aspect of speaker design in most important to you?

• Sound Quality

Votes: 117 93.6%
  • Build Quality

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Size

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
M

moe32274

Audiophyte
More specific reply

Easy question to answer. Clearly, the "most important" aspect of speaker design and build must be the quality of the audio reproduced. All other aspects are secondary. I purchased my Atlantic Technology 1200 speaker system because of its excellent neutral sound for both music and movies. I was happy with the size (substantial, but not overwhelming for a moderate sized room); I am pleased with the asthetics (attractive and solid build, and magnetized grille); and I was fortunate to have a flexible budget - so I considered many different makes. Atlantic Technology's sound sold me!

Moe.

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
well sq yes... are you realy going to get that in a box that is insuffiantly braced and with low quality drivers and crossover etc... so sq but you can't have that with out build quailty

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I say Sound Quality is the most important feature (goal).

Build quality is also critical because I don't think you can get SQ without it.

A

ArtV

Enthusiast
Obviously, sound quality is the most important. A speaker needs to look nice because it is as visible as a piece of furniture. Size goes hand in hand with aesthetics and hopefully a well designed speaker will have good build quality.

ArtV

R

randymoe

Enthusiast
Looks Are Not Important

Who Cares About Looks... Speakers Are For Hearing...

M

magnatest

Audiophyte
I agree totally with another response :

1. Sound Quality, this SHOULD be the primary goal of all speaker manufactuers.
2. Build Quality, so it will continue to soundd good.
3. Astethetics and size, so the wife will let me setup and use the speakers.

4. I'd add stability; stable design so it's not too easy to tip over with kids around.

Gregg

suburbanDK

suburbanDK

Audiophyte
Sound quality uber alles; seems unlikely that it wouldn't have concomitant build quality to boot!

T

thoward4444

Audioholic Intern
Sound quality is the most important. This usually goes hand in hand with top build quality.

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q. What aspect speaker design is most important to you?

A. Sound quality is the key. I literally spent 2-3 years auditioning lots of brands and styles. Size, color, brand, etc. were never as important as the sound quality ..... the sound must captivate the listener.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
I don't think many would disagree that sound quality is paramount when buying speakers, but I think it would be short-sighted on the part of the manufacturer to think that $$ don't come into play. The most accurate statement would be "I'll take the best sounding speaker at the most reasonable price point"; the trick is finding that price point for speakers, which have a wider price range than almost any other audio component I can think of.

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
Sound quality is most important, if a speaker passes all the tests I require of a good sounding speaker, then I must assume the build quality also passes.

S

socra

Audiophyte
quality & value

unfortunately, i don't have the coffers to spend an infinite amount of money on home theatre equipment. although sound quality is the most important issue for me, value goes hand in hand with the quality.

L

lee kostiuk

Audiophyte
If you don't have great sound quality, all you're left with is more furniture to dust that probably cost you a king's ransom. Build quality is important too, but chances are if someone spent the time and effort to make something sound great, I'd hope they use common sense and integrate an appropriate build quality into the package.

R

Robert Miller

Audiophyte
Sound, sound, sound!

All that really matters to me is that the sound is very very musical. (And, of course, that I will be able to afford the musical speakers I may locate).

No harshness, no lack of clarity, make me hear such that I am sitting with the musicians in my living room, and I will like that speaker.

Rich musicality is the deal!

Robert

Nossus

Nossus

Audiophyte
Sound quality is a clear top choice, but I wouldn?t buy an ugly, poorly built speaker. A great speaker puts sound quality first, but also demonstrates attention to aesthics and sound design.

B

brmiller88

Enthusiast
Agreed

Sound first. Otherwise I could get away with spending a few hundred for my entire system. ;) Sound is what I need for immersion.

Build Quality second. I'm mostly thinking in terms of how this plays into the long-term sound quality.

Size third. Less awareness of the objects generating sound makes the sound seem more natural or organic.

Aesthetics fourth. If price is equivalent I will buy the better-looking piece. But I wouldn't spend a few hundred dollars more for something that looks cooler.

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
Sound quality is the most important factor. However a speaker should be well built so it will last a while. I think the biggest reason to save up and splurge on nice speakers is that they will typically stay nice for a while. However, even if speakers would last 100 years, if they sound terrible it's waste of money.

B

beer4u

Audiophyte
I would have to go with build quality, The speaker could be finest sounding speaker to me, but if it looks like the company put no effort into the quality of their product. I'm moving on.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
Sound quality is everything in a speaker. For me, looks dont mean anything as long as the speaker sounds good.

sjsrocks

sjsrocks

Audiophyte
Speakers come in all shapes and sizes as long as they sound good who cares what they look like. How they sound quality is everything.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis