Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificates from AV123

What aspect of speaker design in most important to you?

• Sound Quality

Votes: 117 93.6%
  • Build Quality

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Size

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sound quality is the most important aspect of a speaker.

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
With a new baby at home I am obviously limited to speakers that will not topple over my offspring. However, if the speakers do not sound good I wouldn't even consider them. Quality sound reproduction is the reason I have been frequenting Audioholics the past 2 years.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I'm kinda surprised there were any votes for choices besides "Sound Quality" on these boards.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
OK, sound is number one, and since the poll doesn't let us rank or choose additional features, it's not very telling. There are a lot of great sounding speakers out there. What are the next most important issues for folks? Avantgarde speakers reportedly sound incredible, but is appearance a close enough factor that the freaky things end up not being chosen? What about tweakability (in the bad sense)? My Infinity IRS Epsilons are very finicky and together with their inefficiency has had me spending nearly as much in amplification. I simply adore the sound of Magnapans, but their finickyness and inefficiency make Paris Hilton seem responsible. I just won’t make that Faustian bargain. So are speakers that are low-power or receiver-friendly (either sensitive and/or powered woofers) important and how much? Or if they require stacks of monoblocks and additional electrical circuits (my case) – to what degree does that inhibit their sale? We say revealing is a quality, but if you suddenly hear that all your equipment and recordings suck, did you just upgrade your audio experience?

I’d venture that build quality is more of a means than an end, and that size would rank somewhat due to the fact that most of us share our homes with others. But I can’t imagine AV123 actually learning anything from this poll.

Cheers,
Chris

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
Looks Good vrs. Sounds Better

By far the quality of the output is more important than the packaging of the speaker. And I would expect that sound quality would shadow the build quality.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
This has got to be the most obvious question EVER. I don't care if my speakers look like John Kerry, if they sound good that's all that matters.

S

sk60

Enthusiast
Has to be sound quality, although you cannot ignore looks to keep the other half happy.

279BLUE

Enthusiast
I think all are important if you have a speaker thats sounds good why can't you also pay attention to build quality, size and aesthetics. Real wood is costly but only to a point. Its not an extra $10,000 to use wood and put a nice finish on it.

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
Speakers only have one job... to accurately deliver sound!

Thucydes

Thucydes

Audiophyte
I chose sound quality as my main choice for what I believe to be obvious reasons. :D

I would say that looks are also very important in a speaker because they have to integrate with your room.

And of course when looking for anythign I tried to find a product that "has it all"!

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
lets see...............ummmmmmmmmmmm sound quality?

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Sound should be priority number one...

However, the look of the unit is important, too. My wife would never every allow an "ugly" speaker. Of course, for a home theater type setup, the looks may not be as important as a 2 channel setup. I watch movies in more in the dark. More often, I listen to a stereo setup during the day. Plus, in my situation, the HT is in a basement room, and the stereo setup is in the main living room. My wife lets me decorate the HT room, but she has her own thoughts for the living room. *grin*

F

fteixeira

Enthusiast
It's all about sound quality. That's what a speaker is supposed to do. If you want a pretty piece a furniture, get a credenza.

I will say that size is an important factor as well. Your space will impact which speakers you can buy.

K

koyaan

Audiophyte
I really can't imagine anyone feeling that sound quality was not the most important feature of a speaker

eddiem67

eddiem67

Audioholic
SQ of course, but looks is right next to it, I hate cheesy looking veneer that looks like wood paneling and I also hate big giant square boxes too. A nice design and speaker that can get down in the 30's would be nice.

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
Thumbs up for SQ

Sound Quality all the way...sometimes size doesn't matter!!!

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
The purpose of a speaker is to reproduce sound. Why would anybody pay for poor quality sound?

E

EnemyWithin

Audiophyte
jcPanny said:
1. Sound Quality, this SHOULD be the primary goal of all speaker manufactuers.
2. Build Quality, so it will continue to soundd good.
3. Astethetics and size, so the wife will let me setup and use the speakers.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Sound quality, nothing else matters.

Oh, a cool looking speaker might get my attention enough to look at it, but if it sounds like crap?

Sound quality. Aren't we striving for perfect sound in this hobby?

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Sound quality has to be #1 but I am also big on design so it has to look good in my room. I am not going to have bare MDP speakers. They should be solid too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis