Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificates from AV123

What aspect of speaker design in most important to you?

• Sound Quality

Votes: 117 93.6%
  • Build Quality

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Size

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is offering (2) $50.00 Gift Certificates redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (December 31, 2005) to forum members that respond to the question below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Take the poll above and post your more specific response to the question below:

What aspect speaker design is most important to you?

• Sound Quality
  • Build Quality
  • Aesthetics
  • Size
  • Other

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I can honestly say that a speaker can be ugly as sin if it sounds like a gift from Heaven. It's a bonus if it looks pretty, but first and foremost, it should sound good. Form should always follow function for audio gear.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's certainly a good thing when a speaker looks good, but I would much rather have something less attractive that sounds great than something that looks great and sounds average.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Given you buy speaker to listen too, that is most important. Also since I usually watch movies in the dark - who cares what they look like.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not handsome.
My wife is not beautiful.
My dogs have all been ugly.
Who cares what my speakers look like?!
:D
Gimme good sound.

T

taddy_porter

Enthusiast
Sounds is about 90% of my buying decision. As long as a speaker isn't attrocious looking I don't care too much. Build quality goes towards reliability and for a speaker costing $500+ I don't think it would be of issue (unless you're buying BOSE). Size pretty much goes with the aesthetics. If I have a cramped room I'd probably look for something small but since I have large rooms I would only be looking for the best sounding speakers in my price range. If they are 3inches or 3 feet tall I don't really care.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
1. Sound Quality, this SHOULD be the primary goal of all speaker manufactuers.
2. Build Quality, so it will continue to soundd good.
3. Astethetics and size, so the wife will let me setup and use the speakers.

M

Mark512

Audioholic Intern
Sound quality is definitely first and foremost! Build quality as well as long as it promotes good sound quality. And aesthetics are important so that my friends can look, listen, and drool!!

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
Im with the masses on this one. I would much rather have an ugly good sounding speaker than a pretty crappy sounding one.

While appearence is a small factor on speaker choice it is a far cry from performance..unless of course you have a wife to worry about :)

Senior Audioholic
I put them in this order

1) Sound Quality -First and foremost.
2) Build Quality -They have to hold up to real life situations.
3) Size -Leave the huge speakers in the dance halls.
4) Aesthetics -They shoud not look like they belong in a dance hall
5) Other

A

albasbal

Enthusiast
Sound Good

Sound Good! I think it wuold be cooler if it was ugly or didn't look like much but really moved you.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Who, in the Audioholics forum, is gonna rate anything other than sound quality as the most important? Okay, somebody MIGHT make a case for build quality, but c'mon. No, sound quality is the most important aspect of a speaker. Fortunately, I've got a very understanding girlfriend, and she'd be okay with a less pretty speaker as long as it sounds good. And again, fortunately, my Athena Audition F2 speakers are a coupla very handsome fellas.

cheers,
supervij

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Sound Quality!!

How can it be anything else? Yes its nice to have a beautiful and exotic looking speaker, but not if it somes at the expese of performance. Build quality is certainly important, but this usually comes with great performance.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Some people would compromise sound quality for speakers that fit the decor, etc. But for me, I won't consider a speaker, regardless of other aspects, unless its sound quality comes first. I'll then weight other considerations afterwards.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....I keep thinking back to the report of getting the front mains off the floor at least a foot....the report gave credence to improved "imaging".....good stuff, Maynard, fill that chamber at the correct levels for the front three for sure....raise the TV or screen if possible accordingly.......

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
Sound quality is the most important aspect. Aesthetics/buid quality would be the next important aspect. Size doesn't matter much because loudspeakers are rarely >6 feet tall or extremely wide or deep.

F

Fratt70

Enthusiast
sound

sound, the rest of it should help produce better sound (size, build) or emphasize the sound (looks), affordable is nice also

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Above all else, it has to sound good. Great sound at a lower pirce would be better to me than extra features. Build quality has to be good, as noone wants a shoddy piece of junk. Size doesn't matter as long as it it not too jammed together on the back panel. Asthetics are a bonus, but definately one of the last things I look for. Your talking to a guy that owns SVS cylinder subs and older Outlaw amps.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
rjbudz said:
I'm not handsome.
My wife is not beautiful.
My dogs have all been ugly.
Who cares what my speakers look like?!
:D
Gimme good sound.
C'mon, I've seen pictures of your dogs, and I see you and your better half every week. Two exaggerations and an outright lie ;) (you decide which is which).

I'm a poor boy, so I had to pick "other" - I'd have to pass on even the best sounding speaker in the world if it was out of my price range. And I have to admit, I'd probably settle for second best if the best was TOO ugly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis