Enter to Win: $100 off AV123 Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spartanstew

Enthusiast
Projector.

It's the heart of my HT and it's BIG and clear image is what "WOW's" me and my guests.

J

jayczar

Audiophyte
My speakers, as they have outlasted all of my other components which have either been replaced or upgraded at sometime over the last decade.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Speakers, because I need to upgrade them! I would use the $100 towards the purchase of a new pair of bookshelf speakers.

E

ericlhyman

Audioholic Intern
It would be hard to go back to living without Tivo. I am now my own tv network programmer and never have nothing to watch. I get to see more in my limited time since commercials are skipped.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My speakers are the core of my system - first the A/V-2s, and the sub is a close second to them. Music is what I like, and these speakers were chosen specifically for their musical capabilities. Of course, I need the gear to drive them, but that is secondary to the speakers IMO.

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
The most important part of my system is my X-LS 5.1 system!! They rock bigtime. Yeah!!

H

Hans

Audioholic Intern
Q- What is the most important piece of equipment in your system and why?

Well thats an easy one for me: my speakers. First, with the technology changing all the time, I felt that choosing my speakers was the most important decision when building my HT. Projectors, receivers and DVD players, they will come and go, but I will have those speakers for a long time. Second, I always felt that good speakers are what make or break the deal when it comes to HT. (Well, the big screen too, I guess, but even with a big, clear screen, you'll notice sub-par sound.)

C

cochese

Enthusiast
Speakers

My answer: speakers.

I was going to say my reciever, but without good speakers, the reciever wouldn't matter so much in my opinion. Also, of all the components I've upgraded, buying good speakers has made the largest difference. Even my wife noticed the difference, she enjoys the nice sound!

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Primary Component

My most important component(s) are my front speakers. The receiver and TV are both old and if they need to be replaced that's fine (except for the cost).

Plus, the other technologies (AVR, TV) change much more frequently and I expect to keep my front speaker for at least 10-15 years.

- Jason

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I disagree with everyone!

The room is the most important component in a home theater. Without you wouldn't be able to use any of the other components listed. And the room has the biggest impact on the performance of every other answer listed.

TV - no light control makes it harder to see, the room size dictates the screen size, how far you sit from the screen, how many other people are able to enjoy you system at the same time, where your TV is positioned (i.e. windows, fireplaces, hallway, doors, etc.)

Speakers - many of the same things as above. Room size will dictate speaker size, type, location (think WAF), and most importantly -HOW the speakers sound!!

Receiver - room can dictate placement (ability to run cables to other components), how powerful (bigger room, more power), how many channels you need (is it feasable to get a 7.1 system?), potentially lifespan (crammed in a closet with no heat disapation).

Source (DVD, Xbox, Sat) - room dictates location (where is the cable jack located)

Ultaimately with a poorly designed room, everything else becomes harder. Thats why we all try and find the perfect room (or design and build it like I did) for our home theater. It is also why the market is shaped as it is - room treatments, brighter and smaller projectors, in-wall speakers, flat panal TVs, wireless (not so much, but it exists).

So I know this is a loaded answer, but many people think bigger, better, MORE expensive equipment equates to better performance. While, in reality, with a good room, modest equipment will blow away expensive equipement in a poor room.

Last edited by a moderator:
evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
This is a very difficult question, but I think the TV is the most integral part. I can live with less than spectacular sound to some extent (say anything other than TV speakers!), but I cannot live with less than spectacular video.

If there's blocking, and the moire, and crappy colors and all that other bad stuff, I don't think I'll enjoy the HT experience no matter how incredible the sound is.

B

bandit

Audioholic
For me - its got to be the speakers. They set the foundation for the whole system. If these are subpar - no amount of room treatments, electronics, etc. will make up for it. Even the best video display can't make it right if the speakers aren't good... For me it has to be the front trio - mains and center.

Bandit. :)

A

animal982

Audiophyte
I'm going to say my APC J15 battery backup since without it none of my equipment would be getting power.

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
Most important piece of gear has to be my L and R main speakers. Without them, my 2 channel listening is a joke. The fuller range the better.

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
My room.

It's the one piece that can dictate to all overs, no questions asked. Everything else follows it, in one way or another. I'd nominate my projector and speakers as a tie for second most important as they directly hook me in to the experience :)

crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
Contest Question: What is the most important piece...

My TV is the most important piece. It is the only one that can stand alone (though the SXRD speakers certainly don't compare to a "real" audio system), and get used 95% of the time. Music alone (or cable audio without the TV) makes up only about 5% of our usage.

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I would say my reciever is the the most importnat piece of equipment in my home theater. I think this simply because without it, nothing would work together. It brings all the seperate components into a single home theater.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Ah, alas...must be my speakers. Yes they need a receiver to power them, but without the speakers, the receiver could make no sound! They're just so integral to my setup. Now if only I thought the same way about my subwoofer...

nyf

Enthusiast
My sub. Nothing gets you enthused about putting more into your home theater than a solid foundation of bass.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would have to say that my HD/DVR cable box is the most important piece of gear. It is the one piece that I can't buy anywhere and is the one that we utilize the functionality of the most. When we are asleep or at work - it is busy recording the shows that we watch so we can view them later on, skipping commercials as we please.

My other gear is also very important - especially the receiver. But, most of it is readily available and I have a LOT of choices on what and where to get that gear. My cable box is an extremely limited one-shot source that I have almost zero control over. So, it is vital that it is done right and keeps working well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis