Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If memory serves me correctly you weren't too impressed with Emotiva's initial line up of speakers, namely their flagship towers.

Recall you being surprised since they were designed for / with Emotiva by Danny Ritchie (I hope I have the correct designer).
actually the crossover work was done by Vance Dickason. I only heard them at Majorloser's home many years ago which was about as echo free as German church :) I have yet to take in a pair for formal review.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Boy, am I ever grabbing the popcorn on this one.

Looks like Charlie Brown is going for the football again.
I would wait a year before I would purchase one after all the problems the UMC has.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
WE have always given Emotiva a fair shake like every other manufacturer whose products we've reviewed. Just take a look at our recent X-Ref 10 and 12 subwoofer reviews and you will see they are not all glowing.

I attempted to review the UMC-1 but found bass management issues during my testing which I informed Emotiva about. Unfortunately it took them a while to resolve and I didn't have time in my schedule for a revisit.

Now that the product is becoming obsolete, I would rather wait for the XMC-1 which you can rest assured I will thoroughly test out during my review in a manner of greater detail than you will find at any other A/V publication online or in print.
Gene - honestly - good to hear.

I think what irked me was the suggestion that one of the mods here was perfectly okay being a "guinea pig" (and that is his right, for sure) for the company. It just sounded like a really ridiculous endorsement of sorts.

While I think the company has made terrific amps (and some other products) I think that everyone who considers the XMC-1 should do so with a great heaping serving of salt. I also personally believe that Emotiva's missteps with their previous processor should be emphasized heavily, especially given the pricetag that they're asking. I don't see much skepticism, and a little too much 'gushing' - both in your article and in this thread.

I also believe that there are proven products (such as the umpteenth mentioned Denon 4311, amongst others) at or very close to the pricepoint that offer even more than what the Emotiva has. I suppose to sum it up, I usually expect a little more skepticism and more of a critical eye from audioholics.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I think what irked me was the suggestion that one of the mods here was perfectly okay being a "guinea pig" (and that is his right, for sure) for the company. It just sounded like a really ridiculous endorsement of sorts.
Take it how ever you want. I really don't care. I'm really happy with the company and have made some good friends there. They treat me well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Take it how ever you want. I really don't care. I'm really happy with the company and have made some good friends there. They treat me well.
It is good you have a great experience with Emotiva.

Not everyone has the same experience, however. I recall Paradigmdawg did not have a great experience with Emotiva. A few others also.

It's just very difficult for some of us to recommend their pre-pro for 2 main reasons. Their previous model had big issues. Their price point is high when compared to the pre-pro from Integra, Marantz, and AVR like the Denon 4311.

For their sake, Emotiva better have their new pre-pro working flawlessly. They already have 1 strike. Everyone deserves a second chance. We will see.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking forward to the release of the XMC-1 as well. I am for the most part happy with my UMC, but it certainly isn't problem-free. Just the other day I got a weird "staticy" noise from the speakers after pausing live TV. The wife was like, "What the hell was that?"

That being said the $700 I paid for the UMC-1 was really stretching things for me. $900 for an XMC, with my discount, is really going to be difficult to swing. I'll just have to wait and see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That being said the $700 I paid for the UMC-1 was really stretching things for me. $900 for an XMC, with my discount, is really going to be difficult to swing. I'll just have to wait and see.
That depends on whether or not you want to sell me your UMC :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You would buy it even with all the issues?
Yes, especially if the price is right :) I've talked to Darien about the unit before and kept up with the threads, so I have an idea of what I'd be dealing with. It is fair to say that I haven't found too many receivers or processors that didn't have one issue or another, so the benefits that a UMC-1 would afford me (HDMI for all my devices) would potentially outweigh many of the minor issues. Only problem is, I wouldn't get the discount toward an XMC-1 if I decided to move up, but I don't think I am likely to move up in the near future. I am downsizing next month....

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
It's just very difficult for some of us to recommend their pre-pro for 2 main reasons. Their previous model had big issues. Their price point is high when compared to the pre-pro from Integra, Marantz, and AVR like the Denon 4311.
That's another big issue with the XMC-1. What is it going to offer versus the competition? It's not really going to compete price-wise (with the exception of previous UMC-1 owners) and I would be hesitant to say that it would compete in other categories. Other pre-pros in this price range offer more HDMI inputs, Audyssey, the Denon 4311 carries an amp section (if needed), so forth. You could say customer service and warranty, which is true, but if it is buggy like the UMC?...

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I've heard nothing but great things about Tact from industry professionals so I for one am looking forward to evaluating this processor. I want to see how it stacks up to Audyssey and my Denon AVP is getting upgraded to the latest Audyssey in 2 weeks so this is timely.
The trick will be (in addition to actually shipping a product, and making that product reasonably bug-free) if they can get the TacT stuff as easy to use as ARC and MultEQ.

While that DOESN'T necessary sound like a high bar...

I had TacT's room correcting integrated amp in my Viennese flat for a couple weeks in 2001 or 2002. After that, I traded it at the dealer for a bog standard Classe integrated, because the TacT box was just too perplexing. The instructions were awful, the menus confusing, and it was just not a pleasant piece to use. (Also, independent measurements were harder to come by then. There was no FuzzMeasure, and I at least didn't have a calibrated mic. Or any measurement gear except the old Mo-Fi Alan Parsons Sound Check CD and an analog Rat Shack SPL meter.)

That box was, to be fair, TacT's first- or second- generation unit. And used the little screen on the box. (Maybe it had a TV out, but I didn't have a TV so that wasn't relevant to me.)

Also, I think it is a pity the Emotiva box is a pre-pro and not an AVR using TacT's power-DAC (PCM->PWM conversion) technology. A simplified form of those amps was used in the old Panasonic receivers, which were the most energy-efficient AVR's I've seen. One would expect considerable development into output filters for class D amps since then, so what flaws were found in the old Panny XR55* wouldn't necessarily be there with newer generation stuff.

*the measured performance wasn't great, as this site has chronicled. However, I couldn't distinguish it in a level-matched blind test from the separates it replaced - Marantz AV600/Adcom GFA-5800 - on KEF speakers, so it was good enough for me. But for modern room correction, I'd still be using the XR55.

Last edited:
B

BobBart

Audioholic
After the nightmare I had with the umc-1 which I did send back I will never buy another Emotiva processor. Also only one hdmi out at that price point is a joke.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
The trick will be (in addition to actually shipping a product, and making that product reasonably bug-free).....

While that DOESN'T necessary sound like a high bar...
I don't think putting together the UMC-1 was that high of a bar.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
crap I paid $1700 for mine.

This XMC-1, I'll give it 4 months after it gets to the hands of users, and after the updates that will follow before I will make a decision. I just remember the issues with the other Emotiva processor ( I had two and both went back). Software updates, well it's the wave of the future with all the bells and whistles in these AVR's you should expect updates to fix bugs and keep up with the ever changing market.

Regarding the Tact room correction, until someone actually does valid comparisons between Tact, Audyssey, YPAO, ARC the all are about as good as the other. I have had YPAO and Audyssey xT32 in my room with the same speakers and with my ears I couldn't tell any difference after the calibration.
Mine was $1500 NEW about a year ago or so, but look now at those USED-LIKE NEW ones at Amazon for $1300. One thing is for sure, the DENON AVR-4311CI is ONE fine AVR, and anything and everything I have tested on it works, and Airplay was a Free Download in firmware, not that I use Airplay (Not an Apple guy). It just seems more for less money, which is an excellent decaying graph for more to get into High End Audio/Video. :)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
That caught my attention also.

Gotta have at least two of everything these days.:D

And no component 1080p video? I don't use it, but it is high-definition and a lot of folks use it.

For just pre-pro (for those that don't want AVR), I say the Integra units are standard.
I know you have two ears, and you will need them for Stereo Mode, but "two of everything" that is made in Japan just seems like Dust Collectors and/or buying for the sake of buying. Must be nice to have a couple MIL laying around. :) :eek::D

Two of Everything -- is one a Mistress? :cool:

Needs Dual (TWO) HDMI Outputs, what happened there?

A BIGGY for me would be the ANROID APP to control it from my 10.1" TABLET -- as for Denon/Marantz their is one available.

eagleshadow

eagleshadow

Audiophyte
Xmc-1

Considering all of the firmware updates necessary to make the UMC-1 work correctly and the fact that the UMC-1 had less than an auspicious start I would be careful, very careful. I didn't see a lot of glowing reviews in the mainstream audio press about the UMC-1. The price is too high considering it competes with Integra and Marantz. It will not fly at this price point except in a niche market.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
all the speculation on how "buggy" this will be is just that - speculation. i would hope that emotiva learned from their last go round and that this version is more stable. wait and see. BTW onkyo recievers (a major manufacturer i do believe) have been known to burn people's houses down, i would consider that to be pretty "buggy".

as for price, the only other HT preamp i can think of that is balanced and has room perfect built in (which is tact) is the mcintosh MX150 and it costs $12,000. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis