Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
And now it's late November and still no release. Something that Emotiva seems to do over and over again is promise dates that they later find they can't deliver, and it looks bad on them. I'm not sure why they keep doing this but maybe they should keep quiet about a product until it's ready for shipping.
I'll vote for that. :D
Better to be surprised than to be disappointed, in my book.:D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
The XMC-1 looks very promising, but you very well might be right about competing with the larger companies. Emotiva has openly stated they are not being held up by outside suppliers and that this product is an in-house product.
Exactly, but hardware manufacturers here in the West have always been back seat driving with format being dictated from somewhere else (usually Japan). This has always placed our guys behind the curve where getting product out has been concerned. By the time the US/European guys have their stuff on the shelf the format changes diminish the value of the hardware offering. NAD, Rotel, Sunfire, Outlaw, Anthem, etc have had trouble just keeping up. As soon as Western companies intro a new head unit the Japanese pull the rug out from underneath them 6 months later with a format, or hardware update which in some way reduces the value of their offerings. Fortunately, these problems in many ways aren't as bad as they've been in the past, and many companies are adjusting more quickly, but still fundamental problems still remain. I'm thinking digital streaming quite possibly could be the deal breaker that frees up much of the gridlock that the West faces - we'll see.

I'm thinking this might be one of the big issues with the XMC-1. As soon as Emo has a working bug free product (which seems to take longer with them anyway) things change, and the product must be re-jiggered to compensate which extends the release date.

I hope I'm wrong, but this just feels like Emotiva is running a race in this segment that it just doesn't have the resources to win.

DJ

Last edited:
U

unemployed

Enthusiast
Speaking of Japanese companies, it's getting harder to find a Japanese made pre-pro or receiver wich is actually made in Japan. Most things are outsourced to China or Malaysia now. If I don't give the XMC-1 a test drive, or get tired of waiting, I may seek out a Japan made pre-pro or AVR. I think the high end Denons are still made in Japan, not sure what else. Thanks for the info.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Speaking of Japanese companies, it's getting harder to find a Japanese made pre-pro or receiver wich is actually made in Japan. Most things are outsourced to China or Malaysia now. If I don't give the XMC-1 a test drive, or get tired of waiting, I may seek out a Japan made pre-pro or AVR. I think the high end Denons are still made in Japan, not sure what else. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, it's a startling trend but Japan has outsourced most of their electronics industry just like the U.S. Funny that decades ago the average U.S. consumer saw a stigma about products produced in Japan, but now we want the items from Japan.

itschris

itschris

My gripe with Emo has been going on since they first started the noise with UMC1. What was that... a 16 month or so delay and they still sold everyone a beta unit and expected everyone else to figure out their issues? That just ruined it for me from day one. I talked to the guys at the GTG event and sure they're all nice folks, but I'll be one of the folks sitting on the sidelines seeing what's going to happen with this especially now that they're in the price range of well known, solid performing competitors.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My gripe with Emo has been going on since they first started the noise with UMC1. What was that... a 16 month or so delay and they still sold everyone a beta unit and expected everyone else to figure out their issues? That just ruined it for me from day one. I talked to the guys at the GTG event and sure they're all nice folks, but I'll be one of the folks sitting on the sidelines seeing what's going to happen with this especially now that they're in the price range of well known, solid performing competitors.
My guess is that they don't have their own software developers and are contracting it out. If that is so, it is fatal. If they have their own, it is time to clean house and hire better ones.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt first time round. Now they are making a spectacle of themselves. Or as they say where I come from, looking like a bunch of Wallys.

L

luka3rd

Audiophyte
Typo or what?

"For those with legacy gear, the XMC-1 has 7.1 channel analogue outputs, each with a balanced XLR option" What a heck???

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"For those with legacy gear, the XMC-1 has 7.1 channel analogue outputs, each with a balanced XLR option" What a heck???
Um, it means it has both output types, which is quite obvious if you look at the picture in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I seen the unit in person and have to say I would never buy one, it looks awesome and Im sure it will perform well and they will stand behind it, but the days of paying $2000 for a pre pro or even an avr are over.... I have the umc200 because I bought a new umc1 cheap with the discount card {$440} then sold the discount card for $325 and sold the UMC1 for $400 after they took them off the site, then bought a umc200 for $425 {or about that} after another discount, so as confusing as it sounds my umc200 stands me under $150..... It does everything I ask it to do, I can not complain about it.

But now you can buy a marantz sr5005 for $400 and if the 100w pch isnt enough you can add an amp to it later... there is always a couple avrs on a4l for around $400 with preouts...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I seen the unit in person and have to say I would never buy one, it looks awesome and Im sure it will perform well and they will stand behind it, but the days of paying $2000 for a pre pro or even an avr are over.... I have the umc200 because I bought a new umc1 cheap with the discount card {$440} then sold the discount card for $325 and sold the UMC1 for $400 after they took them off the site, then bought a umc200 for $425 {or about that} after another discount, so as confusing as it sounds my umc200 stands me under $150..... It does everything I ask it to do, I can not complain about it.

But now you can buy a marantz sr5005 for $400 and if the 100w pch isnt enough you can add an amp to it later... there is always a couple avrs on a4l for around $400 with preouts...
Refurbs can come with their own set of issues. It's a roll of the dice sometimes.

Don't forget the Outlaw pre/pro at $500.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Refurbs can come with their own set of issues. It's a roll of the dice sometimes.

Don't forget the Outlaw pre/pro at $500.
I thought the 975 was $550 {Bstock is cheaper when they are in stock}

The umc200 is $499 {bstocks are $450} and I would definitely take that over the 975, I played with the 975 a little and I like the umc much better... although I think you can get

Philth

Philth

Audiophyte
Been absolutely happy with my UMC-200. I was a bit weary of EMOQ correction, so I got a nice REW set up and found that there were no corrections that needed to be made.

They give you all the toys to fiddle with the EQ, and you don't even need to touch them. :/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis