Emotiva XMC-1 Processor Preview

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
I to love Emo products, but in all honesty I wound't drop that kind of dough in a pro from an ID company though. They're basically selling at the same price as Denon, Marantz, Yammy, etc., and IMO very hard to justify it.

Let's supose it's a fantastic pro and without any bugs, right? Still way too expensive when compared to the big brands above mentioned, though.

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
TACT compared to Audyssey is going to be very interesting. Now if only audioholics would get in an anthem mrx with ARC, we'd have the biggest / bestest / most affordable room correction showdown available. Then we'd know where to spend our money.

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
Hi folks! I too have been on the original wait list for this product and have been biding my time patiently. I have the UMC as well and I think it is a really good product but certainly not in the league of what has been announced with the XMC. There is a emo-cast that goes into a lot more detail about what is going into this architecture that I recommend. This emo-cast is a solely dedicated discussion on the XMC.

http://emotiva.com/podcasts/012712/EmoCastMix.mp3

I would not take the renderings too serious and it is not final and yes the analog video is gone. I hope they do add the second HDMI out for others as I read so much about how important it is but I do not need it.

The system controller is a large ARM9 processor that will future proof the platform for many years. Here is some information on it.

ARM9 Processor Family - ARM

The TI DSP work and decoding is being done by a partner company called Momentum Data Systems as a long term strategic relationship and of course Tact on the RCS. The Emotiva engineering team is retaining the audio and analog work plus putting it all together.

The TACT can be used in auto mode or for the tweakers or you can change settings on the fly with an APP for the GUI that will let you look at before and after corrections. You might have missed that you can sit on your couch pull up the GUI and tweak in real-time and listen to the effects. I mean dang Betty!

Probably the coolest thing about Emotiva for me continues to be the accessibility to their engineers where anyone can call and talk with them. 5 year warranty too always gives me comfort. Believe me I have owned 3 different Denon's and I ain't going back. My B&W 802 Speakers are worth more than any of my other audio gear and so I dig the value I get too.

The high current headphone amp built in is a TPA 6130 IC with separate volume control that is pretty cool. You can set volume for headphone independent of the main volume.

I am really glad that I am on the pre-order and get the 40% discount plus can keep my UMC. If I sold the UMC, The V-link Asynchronous device I use for my laptop (the XMC will be an upgrade based on the specs and will be Asynchronous with 24/192 from XMC and only 24/96 on the V-link), the Headphone Amp, then I am pretty much having no out of pocket.

The emo-cast ends by stating all the heavy lifting with TACT and Momentum Data Systems is complete. MDS has pretty much eliminated jitter with their work on the DSP part. They also added a loudness button because of the Fletcher-Munson Curves that will allow a correct implementation for that feature.

There is really just too much to type but I highly recommend listening to the emo-cast.

In closing I do agree that anything new like this will get its justifiable due scrutiny and speculation until it ships and folks can share actual experience.

It is nice to have options folks and product release notes like this keep me jazzed while I continue to patiently wait. :D

Last edited:
T

turbo16v

Enthusiast
I to love Emo products, but in all honesty I wound't drop that kind of dough in a pro from an ID company though. They're basically selling at the same price as Denon, Marantz, Yammy, etc., and IMO very hard to justify it.

Let's supose it's a fantastic pro and without any bugs, right? Still way too expensive when compared to the big brands above mentioned, though.
Don't forget that those of us who bought the dmc1,mmc1,lmc1 or umc1 get the xmc1 for $900 :D

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
Don't forget that those of us who bought the dmc1,mmc1,lmc1 or umc1 get the xmc1 for $900 :D
Anyone who had to put up with the UMC-1 should qualify for a discount. I think that is very wise of Emotiva to do.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

That's true...but. Edit: I didn't read ahead. It was already mentioned.
We'd also have to take into account the 40% discount Emo gives to existing customers of the UMC-1 to purchase the XMC-1.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Here's an important question; how many people want to pay $1500 for a beta release (of course, unless if it's specified as such) and put up with years of promises of software fixes? I'm not sure a lot would agree with you. For $1,500, it better be virtually flawless in operation out of the box.
+1 - I think Audioholics and various forum post will need to give a very thorough 3rd party review of the software before a lot of us even consider this. I'm sure the hardware is well and good, though.

The TACT can be used in auto mode or for the tweakers or you can change settings on the fly with an APP for the GUI that will let you look at before and after corrections. You might have missed that you can sit on your couch pull up the GUI and tweak in real-time and listen to the effects. I mean dang Betty!
What kind of tweaking resolution are we talking, here?

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
Is this a real product, or is it vaporware? I don't see it for sale on Emotiva's website.

Also, as a point of information only, the street price on the 4311 from several authorized resellers new in the box is <$1350 shipped right now, and at least one unauthorized reseller has had them for <$1300 shipped.

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
Is this a real product, or is it vaporware? I don't see it for sale on Emotiva's website.

Also, as a point of information only, the street price on the 4311 from several authorized resellers new in the box is <$1350 shipped right now, and at least one unauthorized reseller has had them for <$1300 shipped.
It is scheduled for July this year. All the hard work with the DSP and TACT is complete and working so now they are working the remaining parts.

I really recommend listening to the emo-cast or audio-cast that I linked for you all in my earlier post.

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
What kind of tweaking resolution are we talking, here?
It is discussed in the emo-cast and worthwhile to listen to as many of the concepts are new for me so I may not do the best job with interpretations. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about comparing this with the Denon 4311? I'd love to see what Audioholics thinks, since the 4311 can now be had from some authorized dealers for $1600 or so.
And then by the end of the year when the Emo is probably still updating firmwares and when Denon probably releases the next model 4312, the 4311 will probably go for $1000.:eek:

jinjuku

jinjuku

Lonni mentioned the ARM CPU is running Linux. Is Emotiva using any GNU or other public licensing schemes? If so where can the public at large get a copy of the code?

The EmoCast also said it's a fully balanced design(?)

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
When Emotiva annouced the UMC, it took over a year for it to finally be realeased.

I highly doubt this will be released on time.

In the time it took for the UMC to come out, i went through 2 receiver upgrades

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
And then by the end of the year when the Emo is probably still updating firmwares and when Denon probably releases the next model 4312, the 4311 will probably go for $1000.:eek:
Exactly! :D

+1 - I think Audioholics and various forum post will need to give a very thorough 3rd party review of the software before a lot of us even consider this. I'm sure the hardware is well and good, though.
Well, one of our moderators here is enthused to be Emotiva's "guinea pig", so I suppose that is good for us. :D

Seriously. I own the USP-1 and UPA-2. I like them both. I have no serious axe to grind with them. But, the UMC-1 is a disaster, and I doubt many have the patience or money to tinker with games/issues/blunders from the manufacturer, particularly when you're talking $1500. I wish Emotiva the best, but I would not at all be surprised if there are major stumbling issues from this product out the gate.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Emotiva has treated me very well in the past. I know I could call them up anytime and get answers or help. Not many companies can you call up and ask to speak to one of the design engineers. Lonnie Vaughn is a very busy man, but when he's in town and not in China he'll gladly answer the phone.

They offered a generous refund offer for those of us that first ordered the UMC-1. If you didn't like the way it worked, send it back. Their normal return policy is 30 days no questions asked. They also have a 5 year warranty. Not gonna get that with many companies on electronics.

Sure, $1,500 is a decent amount of money to throw around. But if it doesn't work right within the first month, send it back for a refund.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
Emotiva has treated me very well in the past. I know I could call them up anytime and get answers or help. Not many companies can you call up and ask to speak to one of the design engineers. Lonnie Vaughn is a very busy man, but when he's in town and not in China he'll gladly answer the phone.
I respect the fact that he was always willing to talk. But, that doesn't forgive the fact that the product had major issues.

They offered a generous refund offer for those of us that first ordered the UMC-1. If you didn't like the way it worked, send it back. Their normal return policy is 30 days no questions asked. They also have a 5 year warranty. Not gonna get that with many companies on electronics.
What about a generous refund for those who didn't first order it? Yes, yes, UMC-1 owners are being offered a nice deal for the new XMC, but what if that has issues as well?

I would have had a lot of respect for the company if they had made an open offer for every UMC-1 owner to return the unit for a full refund, no matter how long they had owned it, and also offered up a public apology.

No disrespect intended, but I've read that people owned the UMC-1 for years and years, and put up with one problem after another, which is why I am stumped that some people (such as yourself) are so willing to be "guinea pigs" for the next product. I would have been displeased, to say the very least.

I've always looked upon Audioholics as one of the few audio-related websites that tends to lean on the side of being a little more critical than most. I guess it doesn't apply in the case of Emotiva. But (dare I say) I also scroll up to the top of the page, and I'm reminded of that little ad that sits there...

Sure, $1,500 is a decent amount of money to throw around. But if it doesn't work right within the first month, send it back for a refund.
In this day and age, and economy, $1500 is a ton of money. A little more money thrown into the picture can bring someone proven, issue-free products like the Denon 4311. And that has an amp, and it works...

To me, this is truly Emotiva's "make or break" point - certainly outside of the amp market (where they have a ton of respect). I wish them well.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I respect the fact that he was always willing to talk. But, that doesn't forgive the fact that the product had major issues.

What about a generous refund for those who didn't first order it? Yes, yes, UMC-1 owners are being offered a nice deal for the new XMC, but what if that has issues as well?

I would have had a lot of respect for the company if they had made an open offer for every UMC-1 owner to return the unit for a full refund, no matter how long they had owned it, and also offered up a public apology.

No disrespect intended, but I've read that people owned the UMC-1 for years and years, and put up with one problem after another, which is why I am stumped that some people (such as yourself) are so willing to be "guinea pigs" for the next product. I would have been displeased, to say the very least.

I've always looked upon Audioholics as one of the few audio-related websites that tends to lean on the side of being a little more critical than most. I guess it doesn't apply in the case of Emotiva. But (dare I say) I also scroll up to the top of the page, and I'm reminded of that little ad that sits there...

In this day and age, and economy, $1500 is a ton of money. A little more money thrown into the picture can bring someone proven, issue-free products like the Denon 4311. And that has an amp, and it works...

To me, this is truly Emotiva's "make or break" point - certainly outside of the amp market (where they have a ton of respect). I wish them well.
WE have always given Emotiva a fair shake like every other manufacturer whose products we've reviewed. Just take a look at our recent X-Ref 10 and 12 subwoofer reviews and you will see they are not all glowing.

I attempted to review the UMC-1 but found bass management issues during my testing which I informed Emotiva about. Unfortunately it took them a while to resolve and I didn't have time in my schedule for a revisit.

Now that the product is becoming obsolete, I would rather wait for the XMC-1 which you can rest assured I will thoroughly test out during my review in a manner of greater detail than you will find at any other A/V publication online or in print.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
... I would rather wait for the XMC-1 which you can rest assured I will thoroughly test out during my review in a manner of greater detail than you will find at any other A/V publication online or in print.
You're da man Gene! ;):)

jinjuku

jinjuku

WE have always given Emotiva a fair shake like every other manufacturer whose products we've reviewed. Just take a look at our recent X-Ref 10 and 12 subwoofer reviews and you will see they are not all glowing.
If memory serves me correctly you weren't too impressed with Emotiva's initial line up of speakers, namely their flagship towers.

Recall you being surprised since they were designed for / with Emotiva by Danny Ritchie (I hope I have the correct designer).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis