Emotiva vs Outlaw audio

R

rossmcghie78

Audiophyte
Good afternoon,

I’m going the separates route and want to know your honest view on:

Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 VS Outlaw audio Model 7700 amplifier.

Both are rated @ 200 per Channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pick one. Personally I'd go with the Monolith 7 for less $ if I absolutely had to have a 7x200w amp. ATI makes the Monolith and believe also the Outlaw 7700.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pick one. Personally I'd go with the Monolith 7 for less $ if I absolutely had to have a 7x200w amp. ATI makes the Monolith and believe also the Outlaw 7700.
Just confirming that the 7700 is made by ATI.

Also, of note, the Outlaw provides the following spec in their manual:
7 x 300 watts @ 4 ohms, FTC: 20 - 20kHz, 0.03% THD, All Channels Driven

There are not many amps that rate all 7 channels driven in RMS watts from 20Hz-20kHz into 4 ohms!
The ATI/Outlaw is one of them!

The Emotiva does rate all 7 channels, but only into an 8 ohm load (not as difficult as 4 ohms) and does not specify the bandwidth!

This would indicate that the Outlaw has a more rigorous power supply!

Also, we are talking 93 pounds for the Outlaw and only 53 pounds for the Emotiva.

Also agree that the Monolith (also made by ATI) is a better buy for a similar product

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go with Outlaw Audio. The Monolith amps look solid too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or, heck, just get an actual ATI with Hypex Ncore modules to save some weight (altho not money :) ).
Their AT527NC looks nice.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Spaghetti monster of power cords : 7 individual 2200 monoblocks from Outlaw. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Or, heck, just get an actual ATI with Hypex Ncore modules to save some weight (altho not money :) ).
Their AT527NC looks nice.
Agreed, 7 X 200 W class AB amps are too heavy, makes no sense when much lighter high quality amps are now widely available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, 7 X 200 W class AB amps are too heavy, makes no sense when much lighter high quality amps are now widely available.
Altho this one isn't exactly light at 65lbs, just lighter than the AB in the mid 90s.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get the Monolith! I have one and outside of user error I've had zero issues with it. Didn't Gene end up keeping his after he finished reviewing it?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sounds like a win/win decision to me! :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m going the separates route and want to know your honest view.
How honest? :D

ATI is supposed to be coming out with the AT2207 (220 Watts x 7Ch 8-ohm, class AB) that is actually $200-MSRP less expensive than the AT527NC.

What I want to know is —— what is your pre-pro and speakers? :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One exception would be getting 2 QSC DCA 1824 (4 channel amps) which also operate in Class AB but use a switching power supply. You would then have 8 channels available with a power rating of 170w/ch for a total weight of only 42 lbs:

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/dca-1824/

EDIT: Because of limited space for 4 inputs, it uses Phoenix (terminal block) connectors which I don't find as convenient as RCA plugs or XLR connectors.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Get the Monolith! I have one and outside of user error I've had zero issues with it. Didn't Gene end up keeping his after he finished reviewing it?
No but I will likely be getting a Monolith 11X to run all but my main speakers in the near future. Monolith's are the best 9CH and 11CH amp on the market IMO.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have yet to find a "light" multi-ch amp that measures better than ones with traditional linear PS and class AB topology. Agreed that Class D and switchers have come a long way though. The Emotiva Gen3 don't measure so great from what I've seen in Stereophile and THX test reports. Hopefully they can continue to refine them as I really miss the old XPR series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No but I will likely be getting a Monolith 11X to run all but my main speakers in the near future. Monolith's are the best 9CH and 11CH amp on the market IMO.
It amazes me that Monoprice has these great 9Ch and 11Ch Amps for HT/Atmos, but ATI doesn’t offer any 9Ch or 11Ch amps like these.

Yet, ATI makes these amps for Monoprice?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Altho this one isn't exactly light at 65lbs, just lighter than the AB in the mid 90s.
I wouldn't mind 65 lbs, but for me that's upper limit. At that weight, most people can handle one up and down without risk of getting hurt (if done carefully). Guys like Gene for sure could extend that limit to 130 lbs or so.:D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't mind 65 lbs, but for me that's upper limit. At that weight, most people can handle one up and down without risk of getting hurt (if done carefully). Guys like Gene for sure could extend that limit to 130 lbs or so.:D:D
Yeah, 60 LBS is also as heavy as I want to go.

My Yamaha MX-A5000 is about 60 LBS.

I lifted up the AT527NC a few days ago, and it felt pretty heavy - probably heavier than I like.

The Legacy Audio PowerBloc4 (4Ch amp, 325W-8ohm/650W-4ohm) is 19 LBS. Legacy is coming out with a MCH amp (not sure if it's 5Ch or 7Ch or more). Hopefully it's no more than 30 LBS. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, 60 LBS is also as heavy as I want to go.

My Yamaha MX-A5000 is about 60 LBS.

I lifted up the AT527NC a few days ago, and it felt pretty heavy - probably heavier than I like.

The Legacy Audio PowerBloc4 (4Ch amp, 325W-8ohm/650W-4ohm) is 19 LBS. Legacy is coming out with a MCH amp (not sure if it's 5Ch or 7Ch or more). Hopefully it's no more than 30 LBS. :D
So you have one of those NC amps already? I haven't read the specs/manuals but for a 7X200 W unit,, even Hypex NC based, I would likely weight close to 40 lbs +/- 5 lbs. That's any reason I would accept up to 65 lbs:D. Even my 2X250 W A21 weighs that much.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you have one of those NC amps already? I haven't read the specs/manuals but for a 7X200 W unit,, even Hypex NC based, I would likely weight close to 40 lbs +/- 5 lbs. That's any reason I would accept up to 65 lbs:D. Even my 2X250 W A21 weighs that much.
No I don't have the AT527NC. It was a friend's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis