William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That said, it's mind boggling that we need manufacturers to produce 750HP cars & trucks that aren't for industrial use. If someone wants high power, let them build it or have it built. Fuel economy isn't so great that we should sit back and congratulate each other.
Why? Many people don’t have the means financially or physically or have the time to build a car, if you can even find a suitable project car to start with that doesn’t cost a mint. Besides, a factory special, like the aforementioned TRX can be super cool.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why? Many people don’t have the means financially or physically or have the time to build a car, if you can even find a suitable project car to start with that doesn’t cost a mint. Besides, a factory special, like the aforementioned TRX can be super cool.
If they have the money for a high power new car, they can probably buy a car and make it do what they want or pay someone to do that. OTOH, buying a whole car without it being a project is good for those who like instant gratification.

Obviously, the definition of 'project car' depends on the person- my friend who worked at GM's Desert Proving Ground has been working with a friend who owns an auto body repair shop to find damaged Challengers, to repair and sell. I'm going to have him send some photos of before/during/after- neither does anything half-assed, so I would imagine the results are excellent.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If they have the money for a high power new car, they can probably buy a car and make it do what they want or pay someone to do that. OTOH, buying a whole car without it being a project is good for those who like instant gratification.

Obviously, the definition of 'project car' depends on the person- my friend who worked at GM's Desert Proving Ground has been working with a friend who owns an auto body repair shop to find damaged Challengers, to repair and sell. I'm going to have him send some photos of before/during/after- neither does anything half-assed, so I would imagine the results are excellent.
Its not just the money, but the overall time and effort to do a restoration, a custom or a resto-mod right. If its going to be a weekend driver and not a show queen looking for awards sure a engine trans, suspension upgrade and paint is a nice project if you have the time to do it and a place to do to. But an actual show car looking for authentication awards like a NCRS award for Vettes or the ,Mustang Club of America (MCA) or the
Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) or the numerous National roadster and custom car shows, like the Ridler for example, you had better have some deep pockets to get the job done right. So that new manufactured Chev, Ford or Dodge is a steal as compared to spending the time ( years) and money to build something to compare. . And a new "muscle car" comes with a warranty, and most likley AC and all the new safety things :)

highfigh

highfigh

Its not just the money, but the overall time and effort to do a restoration, a custom or a resto-mod right. If its going to be a weekend driver and not a show queen looking for awards sure a engine trans, suspension upgrade and paint is a nice project if you have the time to do it and a place to do to. But an actual show car looking for authentication awards like a NCRS award for Vettes or the ,Mustang Club of America (MCA) or the
Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) or the numerous National roadster and custom car shows, like the Ridler for example, you had better have some deep pockets to get the job done right. So that new manufactured Chev, Ford or Dodge is a steal as compared to spending the time ( years) and money to build something to compare. . And a new "muscle car" comes with a warranty, and most likley AC and all the new safety things :)
My comment about instant gratification should have showed that I understand the part about time & effort.

I was referring to more typical performance upgrades, not Riddler/authentication-level stuff.

Buy a performance crate motor from GM, Chrysler or Ford- it comes with a warranty and any of their dealers can service it as long as unapproved mods haven't been done. That's a relatively inexpensive way to get good performance, as long as a good exhaust system and well-matched transmission and differential are used.

Having owned a van for several years, I wouldn't even think of upgrading the engine because it's a royal PITA to work on, but a vehicle with a more open engine compartment makes life much easier WRT taking an existing car or truck that needs work and making it into whatever someone wants, depending on their fabrication and repair/building skills.

I like having the van from a practical standpoint, but if the right car or pickup comes along, I wouldn't mind using something like the GM Performance Parts 350 RamJet crate engine- good power =& torque, easy to work on and if I really need to goose it, I know people who have dynos and the ability/facilities to really dial it in. I don't need a big block, anyway. For that matter, a good engine from a damaged ski boat would be a good way to repower a car or truck because the engine and EFI system are 'bob-tail', so a harness would be pretty easy.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Have you seen YouTube videos of EV cars vs ICE? Use 'EV drag racing' to search- pretty darned fast AND quick, in some cases.

I still like this Corvette-

So EVs are like so many American cars. Fast in a straight line...and that's about it.

Granted, Chevy has been trying to get away from that stigma for a good while. Dodge leans heavily into it. Too bad the current Camaro has horrific visibility or I'd probably want one.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My comment about instant gratification should have showed that I understand the part about time & effort.

I was referring to more typical performance upgrades, not Riddler/authentication-level stuff.

Buy a performance crate motor from GM, Chrysler or Ford- it comes with a warranty and any of their dealers can service it as long as unapproved mods haven't been done. That's a relatively inexpensive way to get good performance, as long as a good exhaust system and well-matched transmission and differential are used.

Having owned a van for several years, I wouldn't even think of upgrading the engine because it's a royal PITA to work on, but a vehicle with a more open engine compartment makes life much easier WRT taking an existing car or truck that needs work and making it into whatever someone wants, depending on their fabrication and repair/building skills.

I like having the van from a practical standpoint, but if the right car or pickup comes along, I wouldn't mind using something like the GM Performance Parts 350 RamJet crate engine- good power =& torque, easy to work on and if I really need to goose it, I know people who have dynos and the ability/facilities to really dial it in. I don't need a big block, anyway. For that matter, a good engine from a damaged ski boat would be a good way to repower a car or truck because the engine and EFI system are 'bob-tail', so a harness would be pretty easy.
I've bought my share of GM crate motors throughout the years when I was dedicated to the hot rod, custom car hobby. My fav besides the LS3 swap with supporting trans is the SP383 with the matching T56 Tremec 6speed. Works great in a street rod and saves a lot of hassles. Never used a motor out of a boat, around here they were always dogged to death. . I tell ya the newer bolt on EFI systems, like Holly, EZ-EFI, and a classic Hilborn look-a-like the Dynatek EFI these days are almost plug and play.

highfigh

highfigh

So EVs are like so many American cars. Fast in a straight line...and that's about it.

Granted, Chevy has been trying to get away from that stigma for a good while. Dodge leans heavily into it. Too bad the current Camaro has horrific visibility or I'd probably want one.
I have to think all cars handle and track far better than just about anything from the '60s and into the '70s. And braking- that seems to be a bit better, too. Used to be a case of "Sure, you can go fast, just don't expect to stop anytime soon. :)

Seeing is overrated- if you're going fast enough, let them look out for you!:cool:

highfigh

highfigh

I've bought my share of GM crate motors throughout the years when I was dedicated to the hot rod, custom car hobby. My fav besides the LS3 swap with supporting trans is the SP383 with the matching T56 Tremec 6speed. Works great in a street rod and saves a lot of hassles. Never used a motor out of a boat, around here they were always dogged to death. . I tell ya the newer bolt on EFI systems, like Holly, EZ-EFI, and a classic Hilborn look-a-like the Dynatek EFI these days are almost plug and play.
And many are self-learning, although I have heard about some issues with the Holly system.

I'm looking for a system that's not too expensive, to add to my friends' yacht, so it can show data and fuel flow rate on his NAV display. It's generally reliable, but uses a lot more fuel than I think it should and with custom calibration, A/F ratio can be dialed in to be more accurate.

The place where I trained for Mastercraft had three dyno rooms at the time, but they're in a new facility with four- they were doing it right, with frictional loss measurements, in-cylinder temperatures, head flow., finding solutions to the standing wave issues at high RPM with the TBI engines and they did the initial marine setup/validation for Mastercraft & Indmar for EFI. I was referring to ski boat engines that haven't been treated like farm animals, but if I have to rebuild, so be it- I know of a few good machine shops in this area and the guy whose shop went through the head for my boat build race engines- I just happened to know someone who rented one of the units on his property, so I took it to him for the work.

One of the reasons I would like to go about it is to be able to go to Indiana and see the people at the place where I trained- haven't been there in a long time and it would be great to see what they're doing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you seen YouTube videos of EV cars vs ICE? Use 'EV drag racing' to search- pretty darned fast AND quick, in some cases.

I still like this Corvette-

Plenty of videos with Evos, Turbo Civics, and sleeper STIs beating GTRs and Model S Plaids :) Dude at our last Subaru car show before Covid had a 1300HP WRX, but it was powered by a turbo 2JZ Toyota motor (former Supra).

EVs have one big penalty = weight. Even if you put that weight low, it still hurts performance no matter.

However not ALL EVs are just fast in a straight line:

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Plenty of videos with Evos, Turbo Civics, and sleeper STIs beating GTRs and Model S Plaids :) Dude at our last Subaru car show before Covid had a 1300HP WRX, but it was powered by a turbo 2JZ Toyota motor (former Supra).
Is that called 'Plaid' because of 'Spaceballs'?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is that called 'Plaid' because of 'Spaceballs'?
Yes :D

For what I've sunk into the STI in the last few months, I could have put a nice down payment on an Ioniq 5N. ~$12-13K. I am considering doing just that, selling the STI and picking up a N when they release the 26 with the larger battery.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Blind spot warning system is a necessity on Camaros. The track oriented specs are quite capable.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes :D

For what I've sunk into the STI in the last few months, I could have put a nice down payment on an Ioniq 5N. ~$12-13K. I am considering doing just that, selling the STI and picking up a N when they release the 26 with the larger battery.
So, they went right past calling one 'Ludicrous'? They could have worked out a cross-marketing deal with Ludacris.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My next move will be an efi bolt on system. LS7 wouldn’t hurt my feelings but times aren’t great right now lol. IMO, marine engines don’t translate to street use. Low compression, with cam profiles made for a completely different purpose just seem like more of a PITA than just using something suitable. I know HF posted it but don’t have time for multi quote lol.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My next move will be an efi bolt on system. LS7 wouldn’t hurt my feelings but times aren’t great right now lol. IMO, marine engines don’t translate to street use. Low compression, with cam profiles made for a completely different purpose just seem like more of a PITA than just using something suitable. I know HF posted it but don’t have time for multi quote lol.
Yep I hear ya. A LS7 although now discontented by GM can still be had from engine builders like LS Engines Kings in Melbourne Fla, 427,625 HP among other builders for about $20k and UP with crazy HP and Torque numbers. OF course with crazy HP #'s come $$$

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep I hear ya. A LS7 although now discontented by GM can still be had from engine builders like LS Engines Kings in Melbourne Fla, 427,625 HP among other builders for about $20k and UP with crazy HP and Torque numbers. OF course with crazy HP #'s come $$$
Yep. Ya gotta pay to play!
Street outlaws is at Brainerd intl raceway(home) this weekend. I couldn’t make it but my buddy said it was pretty awesome. Maybe next year. I greet up at BIR. Watching garlits and kalitta, prudhomme, Bernstein etc.
Street outlaws is ok,. But I hate 1/8mi racing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis