davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
We argue these points as the country is experiencing record high temps. I agree with Mike I have a fuel-efficient gas Subaru Cross trek. We probably should have addressed this years ago.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Again ............ to my way of thinking given the current infrastructure, unless one has proper home charging, EV's make little sense. Will I own one in my driving lifetime, maybe ............
My close friend is a bank VP and has to drive all over Northern NY. He bought a Riven last year. While amazing on many levels he has a very hard time getting a full charge near me. All of the non Tesla chargers seem to be owned by third parties under contract and are doing a poor job. He lives in the capital district so while home he has no isses.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Again ............ to my way of thinking given the current infrastructure, unless one has proper home charging, EV's make little sense. Will I own one in my driving lifetime, maybe ............
That's an issue at our house. Electrical panel is at the front of the house and the garage is behind. I only have a 20 amp cable running to the garage. Upgrading to 50 amp or more for EV charging would cost a lot of money. Not sure yet if the expense adds equivalent value to the home.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That's an issue at our house. Electrical panel is at the front of the house and the garage is behind. I only have a 20 amp cable running to the garage. Upgrading to 50 amp or more for EV charging would cost a lot of money. Not sure yet if the expense adds equivalent value to the home.
Probably not and for sure if your buyer does not own an EV.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
One other consideration.......... insurance. To those owning EV's has your premiums increased ? A recent article I read stated on avg the accident repair cost on an EV is 25-30% higher than an ICE vehicle.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
One other consideration.......... insurance. To those owning EV's has your premiums increased ? A recent article I read stated on avg the accident repair cost on an EV is 25-30% higher than an ICE vehicle.
Yep, EV's are higher to about, well ours was when we had it and we both have excellent driving records, how about $3675 a year for a model S yearly premium, which was $1425 more than our Lexus GS350. There are a couple of people in our community that are crying the blues since they signed up for Telsa Car Insurance. They have gotten nothing but poor customer service,. One had a fender bender, cost $17k to repair and that happened 8 months ago and they still don't have their money from Telsa.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My insurance cost was about 25% higher as well, but we're also talking at 2024 model vs. a 2010. I kind of thought it might be higher.

What state is that in that it is 8 months? In Ca. there is a law that states insurance companies have 4 months to complete coverage from the date of the acceptance of the claim as covered.

Check the website for your power provider. I looked into it here and they offer a few thousand to cover reasonable upgrades required to install a charger in addition to other incentives that will more or less pay for the charger itself.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, EV's are higher to about, well ours was when we had it and we both have excellent driving records, how about $3675 a year for a model S yearly premium, which was $1425 more than our Lexus GS350.
Holly Molly !!! my 2023 BMW X5 M-Sport is $1300 a year !

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I switched to an EV this year and happy with the change. I found during the winter, it costs basically the same as a regular gas vehicle, but does way better once the temperatures starting hitting the 50's. As for charging, it came with 3 years free charging so I use the public charger. It only takes about 20 minutes to reach 80% so just enough time for a cup of coffee.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We argue these points as the country is experiencing record high temps. I agree with Mike I have a fuel-efficient gas Subaru Cross trek. We probably should have addressed this years ago.
Are you aware that solar activity is at/near a high? That makes a big difference in global temperature. When it was near a minimum in the mid-'70s, they warned that we were heading toward an ice age.

We now know more about this, but it's not absolutely correct. It's hot. This happens occasionally but a longer time sample is needed.

That said, it's mind boggling that we need manufacturers to produce 750HP cars & trucks that aren't for industrial use. If someone wants high power, let them build it or have it built. Fuel economy isn't so great that we should sit back and congratulate each other.

For the short term, I honestly believe that hybrids are the best choice- pure EVs use batteries that are hazardous in several ways, whereas, gasoline/electric motors achieve great economy at lower cost.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tesla insurance is facing regulatory pressures in several states for dragging claims. Iirc, California is investigating consumer complaints, as are several others.

it is true that in some aspects it is more expensive to repair certain parts. This is the flip side of gigacasting. There was an article several months back that discussed some of the effects of this production method and in one instance a body part that in traditional manufacturing was the equivalent of something like 13 or more parts… all reduced to 1.

However, the true issue is any potential damage to the chassis, where the batteries are, can result in totaling the car. I think this is the biggest risk that Tesla Insurance is rolling the dice on. Perhaps because Tesla itself is in a better position to inspect the batteries whereas most other shops aren’t?

Admitedly, my quote from progressive was well north of 400 per month. I’m a good driver and had been a customer of theirs for quite a while. My old Honda CRV was around 120 per month.

Tesla insurance is under 100 per month!

I certainly hope if I ever need it that it works! *fingers crossed

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Are you aware that solar activity is at/near a high? That makes a big difference in global temperature. When it was near a minimum in the mid-'70s, they warned that we were heading toward an ice age.

We now know more about this, but it's not absolutely correct. It's hot. This happens occasionally but a longer time sample is needed.

That said, it's mind boggling that we need manufacturers to produce 750HP cars & trucks that aren't for industrial use. If someone wants high power, let them build it or have it built. Fuel economy isn't so great that we should sit back and congratulate each other.

For the short term, I honestly believe that hybrids are the best choice- pure EVs use batteries that are hazardous in several ways, whereas, gasoline/electric motors achieve great economy at lower cost.
The big problem with all of this is that, the Govts want to get rid of gas manufacturing of cars and trucks by what 2035. Right, so what are these govts going to do , buy cars and trucks to include semi's, wreckers, farm and construction tractors for people and workers to drive. Not going to happen in my life time. And even in the state of CA, "Even after 2035, gasoline cars can still be driven in California, registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, and sold as a used car to a new owner. "

PS: some of these 750 hp cars get better mileage than older muscle cars that are still on the road and paid for.

Hybrid is the way to go. And PS: there are so powerful hybrids out there for the rich,
  1. Zenvo Aurora
  2. McLaren Speedtail
  3. Koenigsegg Regera
  4. Koenigsegg Gemera
  5. Aston Martin Valkyrie
  6. Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4
  7. Lamborghini Sían
  8. Mercedes AMG One
  9. Lamborghini Revuelto
  10. Aston Martin Valhalla

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Hybrids use the same batteries found in EVs.

Speaking of hybrids. 1775HP, V16 NA V8 + 3 electric motors. ~$4M

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The big problem with all of this is that, the Govts want to get rid of gas manufacturing of cars and trucks by what 2035. Right, so what are these govts going to do , buy cars and trucks to include semi's, wreckers, farm and construction tractors for people and workers to drive. Not going to happen in my life time. And even in the state of CA, "Even after 2035, gasoline cars can still be driven in California, registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, and sold as a used car to a new owner. "

PS: some of these 750 hp cars get better mileage than older muscle cars that are still on the road and paid for.

Hybrid is the way to go. And PS: there are so powerful hybrids out there for the rich,
  1. Zenvo Aurora
  2. McLaren Speedtail
  3. Koenigsegg Regera
  4. Koenigsegg Gemera
  5. Aston Martin Valkyrie
  6. Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4
  7. Lamborghini Sían
  8. Mercedes AMG One
  9. Lamborghini Revuelto
  10. Aston Martin Valhalla
Any government goals are useless unless they allow use of gasoline until a good alternative can be found and IMO, that's going to take us far past 2035. Just Stop Oil wants oil used for fuel to end by 2030- that's absolutely impossible and proves they don't have a clue about energy.

I would say that LPG would be a good choice for many but the supply is unstable. My cousin in the Los Angeles area has used CNG Hondas for more than ten years and she loves them. I would think about converting a vehicle if it didn't cost so much. I wouldn't even care about using E85 if my fuel system was designed for it- my complaint about E10/E15 is that government tells us it's better, but fuel economy makes it cost more than clean gasoline. With E85 costing far less than regular pump gas, it would be a welcome decrease in expenses.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some (Toyota is the only brand I checked) use NiMH as a less expensive option to Li-Ion but they don't last as long- this applies to 'electrified vehicle-hybrid', not-plug (PHEV) or pure electric (BHEV) cars.

Battery chemistry is changing all the time. NiMH was common for hybrids, but still has some level of capability for thermal runaway, though far less than Lithium batteries. Lithium is expensive so most companies are looking at other chemistries to replace or reduce the use of it. NiMH is more common in hybrids because it needs to constantly charge and discharge, like daily while driving. With a cycle like that, a Li-ion would die in a year or two.

With a normal drive/charge cycle a Li-ion can last a pretty long time:

Our Lexus hybrid is 14 years old and the battery is still fine per the dealer. I am happy with my EV so far. Other than it feeling heavy, for obvious reasons, I have no complaints.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My close friend is a bank VP and has to drive all over Northern NY. He bought a Riven last year. While amazing on many levels he has a very hard time getting a full charge near me. All of the non Tesla chargers seem to be owned by third parties under contract and are doing a poor job. He lives in the capital district so while home he has no isses.
No EV for me still buddy. I am rocking a TRX and a 392 Wrangler trying to eat up all the gas.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis