cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That aluminum frame and body make up for a lot of that. That's really not all that bad for a truck.

This is an interesting part of EVs I hadn't considered yet. I'm going to have to check a few others to see what the weight is.
Agree, the extended range batteries and pulling a boat "review" is what I'm waiting to see.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for mentioning the Mach E. At $43k to $60k, it seems to be in the general price range of the Tesla Models 3 and Y.
I didn't mention that above, but it's on my mind too.
Just a point of curiosity here since you both mentioned environmental concerns. Have you guys looked at the carbon footprint it takes to make these batteries? Mining for lithium is a nasty business from what I’ve seen, not to mention recycling is very low so far.
To be clear. Not interested in a flame war. Just wondering if it’s anything you’ve considered.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That has been known for a while I think. The manufacturing techniques will have to catch up with the tech they're producing. That will take years.

I invested in Lucid. Lucid is run by Tesla's former lead engineer. I think it is kind of funny that Lucid started up right across the freeway from Tesla. I see the test mules running around on the freeway here all the time. I also invested in Nio. Rivian was a possibility, but I wasn't sure they were going to get that Amazon contract and sure enough, they didn't and lost about 33% of value.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There was an article a few months back discussing the tipping point in usage of an EV, between the ‘green’ cost of production and when the car becomes environmentally friendly in actual usage. This varied by manufacturer practice and design efficacy, iirc, with each model car having its own point of being greener than an IC alternative.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here’s an article from Reuters from back in July:
That helps answer some big questions. Thanks for posting that.

Basically, it says there's a break even point before CO2 parity is reached. When you reach that point depends on how much coal is burned to generate your electricity. Estimations of those break even points vary some, unless you ask the American Petroleum Institute. The best scenario comes when you have all hydroelectric power, or you have your own solar panels.
1641581099078.png

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
will solar panels ever be good enough to be incorporated into the roof panel of an EV ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With solar panels it is power density per square inch that determines if they're worth it or not to put on a car given the limited space. Tesla also already offers that as an option on the Model S I believe. With a panel the size of the average car's roof, you aren't going to generate a ton of power.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
With solar panels it is power density per square inch that determines if they're worth it or not to put on a car given the limited space. Tesla also already offers that as an option on the Model S I believe. With a panel the size of the average car's roof, you aren't going to generate a ton of power.
gotcha, so the challenge will be to make bigger roofs or more efficient solar panels !

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
will solar panels ever be good enough to be incorporated into the roof panel of an EV ?
I worked for a roofing material manufacturer years ago, as far as solar went; the tech changes soo quickly its $$$ to roll out, as soon as it hits production; there's something more efficient out. It was worth it at an r+d standpoint, but not at the whole manufacturing aspect. Given that was quite a few yrs ago, curious to see how the tech has expanded, especially on the reliability side, and the advancement with battery storage capacity.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
From what I have read, the energy efficiency of solar panels (expressed as a percentage) has not increase much in the last couple of decades. Still hanging out in the low twenties.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This in my Apple news feed today:
Until Tesla decides you have to pay for a software update in order for it to work properly. Or just void your warranty.

They don't seem too aftermarket friendly. Hopefully, that will change.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis