cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
adopting the NACS port.
If Ford, GM, Volvo Mercedes adopted the NACS, The North American Charging Standard (NACS), then they adopted the complete system, which is the standardized SAE J3400, the electric vehicle charging connector and charge port developed and owned by Tesla.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 130518.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ford is losing big $$ for accelerating their E vehicle agenda. Maybe jumped the gun a bit early...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Too early? GM did it back in the mid to late 90s.

The market turned quickly. Ford only has 2 electric cars, aside from production numbers, not sure that is jumping the gun? The Mach E qualifies for the tax credit while the Lightning does, they say when you add any options at all, it will exceed so that will impact sales.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Too early? GM did it back in the mid to late 90s.

The market turned quickly. Ford only has 2 electric cars, aside from production numbers, not sure that is jumping the gun? The Mach E qualifies for the tax credit while the Lightning does, they say when you add any options at all, it will exceed so that will impact sales.
Wow I didn't that about GM in the 90s. Also, Ford has the E Transit minivan. I think that the decision to stop producing cars in favor ok trucks is also hurting them. But that is another discussion.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Talk about ugly, to me at least. Telsa Cybertruck. Looks like something kindergartners made out of Legos'

Screenshot 2023-07-21 080001.jpg

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
This past Wed in a area outside of Jacksonville, a EV caught fire while in the garage for 22 hrs,and destroyed a home. A 2023 EQE350+ was in the garage when it caught fire Wednesday morning. The car was a loaner from the dealer while the customers car was getting serviced and it wasn't even charging at the time.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 090931.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
who in the hell would be dumb enough to buy that POS ??
They apparently have a lot of orders for it, though it sounds like still below their expectation. Fugly is the right description. We haven't seen any around here yet (Tesla is 5 min from my place) because they are building them in Austin and they literally just rolled the first production one off the line this week.

Reminds of the VW Microbus but with a sloped front. I saw a surprising number of old VW vans out east.
That's what it is. bus for a new generation. I like it.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've read, ( EV Solutions) extreme weather conditions have a significant impact on driving range, according to research conducted by AAA. In temperatures of 95 degrees Fahrenheit and the air conditioning on (a must for most in 95-degree heat), driving range decreases 17%. A study of 6,000 electric vehicles conducted by Geotab found that hot climates decreased batteries’ states of health faster than those in temperate climates. Additionally, people who used Direct-current fast charger (DCFC) in hot climates saw an even faster rate of battery degradation. So you add this to cold impact to EV's " . EVs can lose anywhere from 10% to 36% of their range as cold spells come at least a few times each winter in many U.S. states. ".

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've read, ( EV Solutions) extreme weather conditions have a significant impact on driving range, according to research conducted by AAA. In temperatures of 95 degrees Fahrenheit and the air conditioning on (a must for most in 95-degree heat), driving range decreases 17%. A study of 6,000 electric vehicles conducted by Geotab found that hot climates decreased batteries’ states of health faster than those in temperate climates. Additionally, people who used Direct-current fast charger (DCFC) in hot climates saw an even faster rate of battery degradation. So you add this to cold impact to EV's " . EVs can lose anywhere from 10% to 36% of their range as cold spells come at least a few times each winter in many U.S. states. ".
That's why an EV's climate-control heat-pump system is so important. On my EV (and others too) it comes on to divert cooling to the battery compartment, while recharging with Fast DC. It may not eliminate the problem you described, but it helps minimize it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That's why an EV's climate-control heat-pump system is so important. On my EV (and others too) it comes on to divert cooling to the battery compartment, while recharging with Fast DC. It may not eliminate the problem you described, but it helps minimize it.
My 2020 S, had a liquid cooling system ( which was new in 2019) for the batteries which used plate-based cooling system which was some kind of s shaped pipes than used a combination of water and ethylene glycol as the fluid was moved around the packs. Never even thought about the outside air impact at the time, as it was only the driving distance. The Model 3, Tesla switched to a manifold-based system that runs dedicated cooling channels between each row of battery cells. But , even gas cars, when you switch that AC on, or if its around 20 or below outside down goes the mileage.

Something I didn't know, " March-April: Refineries Switch to Summer-Blend Production "

"
Gasoline blends used in the summer months are different than the blends used in the winter. In the winter, fuels have a higher Reid vapor pressure, meaning they evaporate more easily and allow cars to start in colder weather. In the warm summer months, these evaporative attributes would lead to increased emissions and the formation of smog.

There are also more fuels to produce during the transition season. In the winter months, only a few fuels are used across the United States. However, because of various state or regional requirements, 14 different fuel specifications are required for the summer months. Refineries must produce enough fuel for each area to ensure there are no supply shortages, and that can complicate the production and distribution of fuels.

Summer-blend fuel is also more expensive to make than winter-blend fuel. First, the production process takes longer and, second, the overall yield of gasoline per barrel of oil is lower. These complexities add as much as 15 cents per gallon to the cost to produce these higher-grade fuels."

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My 2020 S, had a liquid cooling system ( which was new in 2019) for the batteries which used plate-based cooling system which was some kind of s shaped pipes than used a combination of water and ethylene glycol as the fluid was moved around the packs. Never even thought about the outside air impact at the time, as it was only the driving distance. The Model 3, Tesla switched to a manifold-based system that runs dedicated cooling channels between each row of battery cells. But , even gas cars, when you switch that AC on, or if its around 20 or below outside down goes the mileage.
Thanks for those details. I knew that EV batteries require cooling and heating to maintain an optimum temperature range, but I didn't know how Tesla did that in the past. The Model Y has the heat pump as standard.
Something I didn't know, " March-April: Refineries Switch to Summer-Blend Production".
Summer and winter blends have been around for some time now. I first became aware of it around the same time as when gasoline/ethanol blends became available. I am not sure when it began, but it might have begun 20 years ago. Anyone know?

And yes, Big Oil has always been eager to point out the increased costs from doing these summer/winter shifts. It's my instinct to believe that Big Oil is too eager to take full advantage of the public belief that this is unavoidably necessary, a self-fulfilling prophecy. I could be wrong, but I am not inclined to believe Big Oil's public relations messages.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
EV charger reviews / recommendations ...........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis