TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The problem of combustibility of electric vehicles has to be solved.

A freighter carrying electric vehicles from Germany to Egypt has caught fire in the North Sea. The fire started in one car and has spread to others. One crew member is dead and another seriously injured from the intense heat. Others had to jump overboard. Fireships can not extinguish the blaze, and say it could burn for days. I suspect the ship will sink though, and be a total loss.

With climate change this has to be solved. If EVs were to replace liquid fuel vehicles at this time there would be daily carnage. Unfortunately they are not ready for prime time.
Imagine a multistory car park full of EVs. If one caught fire there would be a terrible chain reaction and fire services totally impotent to intervene.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For our future peace of mind, lithium should better be limited to batteries for small products such as cell phones and laptops.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For our future peace of mind, lithium should better be limited to batteries for small products such as cell phones and laptops.
SS batteries are exactly what smaller products want though. More space for other things if the battery is smaller for the same output.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And there are many instances of Li Batteries blowing up in Ear-Buds and Phones...

I know that technology is advancing, but I do question whether some companies are intentionally slowing adoption of such technology because it would be too expensive to update/adjust/refit for new manufacturing.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And there are many instances of Li Batteries blowing up in Ear-Buds and Phones...

I know that technology is advancing, but I do question whether some companies are intentionally slowing adoption of such technology because it would be too expensive to update/adjust/refit for new manufacturing.
Are there that many instances of Li batteries catching fire? We don't hear or see news about them nowadays.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are there that many instances of Li batteries catching fire? We don't hear or see news about them nowadays.
It's been a little bit since I've seen stories about batteries exploding... in personal electronics. But let's face it, there's a reason all those devices ship with warning labels! When I ordered my laptop from Dell a few years back, they have the warning label PRINTED on the box, even!

There was one story many years ago that was determined to be made up... regarding headphones said to be Apple AirPods.

I am certain I've seen other instances, though... And Samsung did have a problem IIRC in their galaxy 7? I think.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's been a little bit since I've seen stories about batteries exploding... in personal electronics. But let's face it, there's a reason all those devices ship with warning labels! When I ordered my laptop from Dell a few years back, they have the warning label PRINTED on the box, even!

There was one story many years ago that was determined to be made up... regarding headphones said to be Apple AirPods.

I am certain I've seen other instances, though... And Samsung did have a problem IIRC in their galaxy 7? I think.
I think anything that ships with a lithium battery is required to be labeled as such for that reason. Samsung it was the Note, which had a specific battery and likely a defect in manufacturing. The other phones from that generation were fine because I had a Plus from that generation for a few years with no issue.

Many small devices going kaput could be traced to non-approved cheap charging units that don't monitor the charge level or temp of the battery. Most chargers these days have that capability.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

I do remember these, but out of all the Li batteries fires that got BIG press https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/09/tech/lithium-ion-battery-fires/index.html

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Solid State batteries hit the market already. Their stock has picked up quite a bit as well. I should have bought more.

Instead I bought Polestar at around its 52 week low and that is doing well also. :cool: Their production levels have steadily increased and they say they have shipped over 130K vehicles, mostly the 2, in just 4 years. The 3 is delayed until early next year though.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Oh my. In what other areas has Musk done this?

>>>Tesla has consistently exaggerated the driving range of its electric vehicles, reportedly leading car owners to think something was broken when actual driving range was much lower than advertised. When these owners scheduled service appointments to fix the problem, Tesla canceled the appointments because there was no way to improve the actual distance Tesla cars could drive between charges, according to an investigation by Reuters. …<<<

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Oh my. In what other areas has Musk done this?

>>>Tesla has consistently exaggerated the driving range of its electric vehicles, reportedly leading car owners to think something was broken when actual driving range was much lower than advertised. When these owners scheduled service appointments to fix the problem, Tesla canceled the appointments because there was no way to improve the actual distance Tesla cars could drive between charges, according to an investigation by Reuters. …<<<

He is not the only billionaire who has lied to make more money!

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Do we know how many vehicles caught fire in the early days of gasoline powered cars?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis