Dual SVS PB-1000 Pro versus Dual Rythmik LV12F- does Servo Technology Matter?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I have a 10 by 12 room. Our AVR is a Denon 3700 and our main speakers are Monitor Audio Silver S6 with matching center. Surrounds are Primus P162. Our previous sub was a BIC V1220.

While the subs will almost certainly work hardest for home theater I do want something that also works well for serious music listening. I primarily listen to classic rock but some jazz and classical does get into my mix now and then.

I am still mostly sold on the SVS but I wonder if the servo technology of the Rythmik might give me somewhat better performance for music.

I realize that dual of either one of these will be a huge jump in performance for us but I am wondering the Rythmik might have advantages for music while still being great for HT.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Short version: No.

There is nothing wrong with Rythmik. Brian is a highly respected designer and his Subs have been among those highly recommended by just about everyone. Jim Salk even uses Rythmik Drivers in his custom Sub builds.
Servo Technology was a boon many years ago before Driver Design and Speaker Design took many leaps forward due to better modeling programs. Modern high quality Drivers simply do not need Servos to control them, though. When you put such a Driver in a well designed cabinet and give it good quality clean power, it will perform at a very high level.
Lastly, this continuing myth about Sound Reproduction being different for Music or HT usage (and the same can be applied to Sealed v. Vented Cabinets) NEEDS TO DIE.
Sound is sound. Whether it is gunfire in John Wick 2, the sickest Drum and Bass track you can find, or the ambient background noise of Trinity Church at the beginning of Mining For Gold by the Cowboy Junkies: 3 completely disparate examples that all have one thing in common: they are all SOUND and any high quality Subwoofer will reproduce them well.

More than anything, I would urge you to consider stepping up in size and quality of Subwoofer beyond entry level models, regardless of how capable they may be.

That said, you are in the right place in considering buying 2 matching Subs.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I highly recommend duel anything in subs I use the SVS Pb-1000 pros out of the box very easy to intergrate into my system . Amazing on movies and with the app can be fantastic on music with some tweaking which is easy with the app too .

I’ve yet to feel they’ve hit bottom or ran out of power in my setup or the room but I do know going a little bigger in size could be very beneficial depending on use and room size . I change them in the avr eq and on the app to and I know I’ve not really reached there potential even for entry level there quite impressive for there size and power ratting . To me coming from what you had to these is a huge jump in performance at a reasonable price if you get duels that’s just been my experience but going bigger ain’t a bad thing either .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

There is nothing wrong with Rythmik. Brian is a highly respected designer and his Subs have been among those highly recommended by just about everyone. Jim Salk even uses Rythmik Drivers in his custom Sub builds.
Servo Technology was a boon many years ago before Driver Design and Speaker Design took many leaps forward due to better modeling programs. Modern high quality Drivers simply do not need Servos to control them, though. When you put such a Driver in a well designed cabinet and give it good quality clean power, it will perform at a very high level.
Lastly, this continuing myth about Sound Reproduction being different for Music or HT usage (and the same can be applied to Sealed v. Vented Cabinets) NEEDS TO DIE.
Sound is sound. Whether it is gunfire in John Wick 2, the sickest Drum and Bass track you can find, or the ambient background noise of Trinity Church at the beginning of Mining For Gold by the Cowboy Junkies: 3 completely disparate examples that all have one thing in common: they are all SOUND and any high quality Subwoofer will reproduce them well.

More than anything, I would urge you to consider stepping up in size and quality of Subwoofer beyond entry level models, regardless of how capable they may be.

This is one of the better explanations I've read about servo tech wrt the early days and how/why it got so popular. Much like the early days of ported subs, when there actually often were some issues before computer modeling took much of the guesswork out of designing optimal ports and encloures, has a lot to do with misconceptions still today.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I highly recommend duel anything in subs I use the SVS Pb-1000 pros out of the box very easy to intergrate into my system . Amazing on movies and with the app can be fantastic on music with some tweaking which is easy with the app too .

I’ve yet to feel they’ve hit bottom or ran out of power in my setup or the room but I do know going a little bigger in size could be very beneficial depending on use and room size . I change them in the avr eq and on the app to and I know I’ve not really reached there potential even for entry level there quite impressive for there size and power ratting . To me coming from what you had to these is a huge jump in performance at a reasonable price if you get duels that’s just been my experience but going bigger ain’t a bad thing either .
I'll bet you're still tickled when you listen to stuff with lots of bass now. I still am too. Never underestimate what great subwoofage can do!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'll bet you're still tickled when you listen to stuff with lots of bass now. I still am too. Never underestimate what great subwoofage can do!
Indeed Iam and the wife acceptance factor is real high too lol . That statement- never underestimate good subwooerage - should be taught in grade school before there little minds are corrupted with low quality sound systems lol ! I’ve almost got her talked into stacking two of these together for duel stacks in each corner . Got to come up with a name for that lol !

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Indeed Iam and the wife acceptance factor is real high too lol . That statement- never underestimate good subwooerage - should be taught in grade school before there little minds are corrupted with low quality sound systems lol ! I’ve almost got her talked into stacking two of these together for duel stacks in each corner . Got to come up with a name for that lol !
How about the "Mutt" for the stacked pair as opposed to the sole "Jeff" cabinet? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait, you're talking about getting another pair to stack on the first ones! Hmm... I dunno. Maybe you should... YES! DOOOO EEET! :p :p

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
How about the "Mutt" for the stacked pair as opposed to the sole "Jeff" cabinet? :D
Awhile back I seen this dudes system in what looked to be a not so large room with a stack of these big Rythmic 15 subs in his rig looked quite impressive lol I can only imagine the pressure those put in that room but it got me to thinking ;-)

We’ll call it The Muttly Pro 1000 Stack !

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Wait, you're talking about getting another pair to stack on the first ones! Hmm... I dunno. Maybe you should... YES! DOOOO EEET! :p :p
Yes I’ve been toying with this idea or mabey running the the upper with the ports plugged and the bottom open in your face Bass lol !

If you get Netflix give the first 8 mins or so of Stowaway a listen you’ll thank me later it’s got this rolling sub stuff in it that’s just crazy good that you can feel roll threw your body that’s just crazy .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I’ve been toying with this idea or mabey running the the upper with the ports plugged and the bottom open in your face Bass lol !

If you get Netflix give the first 8 mins or so of Stowaway a listen you’ll thank me later it’s got this rolling sub stuff in it that’s just crazy good that you can feel roll threw your body that’s just crazy .
Oh, I shall definitely check that out. I do have Netflix.

On plugging ports tho... not recommended unless you have the gear to measure and eq to make it work. Mixing ported and sealed is not for the feint of heart. Besides, why would you want to plug them anyway??

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic

I can certainly afford to spend somewhat more but two of either of the mentioned subs will definitely fill my space.

What would you recommend for a rational step up?

Thanks.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Oh, I shall definitely check that out. I do have Netflix.

On plugging ports tho... not recommended unless you have the gear to measure and eq to make it work. Mixing ported and sealed is not for the feint of heart. Besides, why would you want to plug them anyway??
no I’d run them all open Iam just not sure if the top one could vibrate off the one thing I’ve noticed is these subs do have a lot of cabinet vibration if you put your hand on them .
The only thing I can say about them that is baffling is when set to auto on it takes a while for them to power up Iam guessing the Yamaha is weak in the output voltage an uneducated guess .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can certainly afford to spend somewhat more but two of either of the mentioned subs will definitely fill my space.

What would you recommend for a rational step up?

Thanks.
A pair of PB1000 Pros probably will do pretty well in a 10 x 12 room if it's a closed space. If it's open to other areas that volume will affect how well a sub will pressurize the space. I think the upgrades made to the 1000 series bring them a lot closer to the 2000 series performance wise. I think the next step up with SVS would be the PB3000. Have you looked at HSU? They're tough to beat bang for buck and also make great performing subs. I own a pair of VTF-3 MK5 HPs and love them. Plenty of clean, tight bass.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the Hsu VTF-3s mentioned above are a good option. Frankly, I think the Monolith 12" would be the Sub to beat. Unless you space is open to other areas, in which all bets are off. (That is not to say you have to pressurize everything, but Pogre's suggestion is spot on that the entire open room volume will have an effect on the small space. ;) )

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
A pair of PB1000 Pros probably will do pretty well in a 10 x 12 room if it's a closed space. If it's open to other areas that volume will affect how well a sub will pressurize the space. I think the upgrades made to the 1000 series bring them a lot closer to the 2000 series performance wise. I think the next step up with SVS would be the PB3000. Have you looked at HSU? They're tough to beat bang for buck and also make great performing subs. I own a pair of VTF-3 MK5 HPs and love them. Plenty of clean, tight bass.

The room is closed off- it is a bedroom or hat is being repurposed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh hell yeah! Right before the 4 minute mark it starts kicking your ass pretty good! That was fun!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh hell yeah! Right before the 4 minute mark it starts kicking your ass pretty good! That was fun!
Oh wow, I had that on my list until I saw the reviews. Maybe have to give it a few minutes to hear this bass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The room is closed off- it is a bedroom or hat is being repurposed.
You might be just fine with a pair of PB1000 Pros. That's not a big space. I'm pretty sure @Mark E. Long is in a bigger room with a pair and as you can see he's been really happy with them.

We do tend to nudge toward "more than you need" because often folks will underestimate their needs and there's possible future use in a larger room down the road too. For what you have right now tho, a pair of PB1000 pros should be plenty.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow, I had that on my list until I saw the reviews. Maybe have to give it a few minutes to hear this bass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I just hit 8 minutes and now I know what he was talking about. It gets even deeper! Like low 20s or possibly even subsonic! Pretty cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis