Dream Speakers Under $6,000 Retail

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I mean those passive woofers inside towers like Paradigm Studio 100, S8, PSB Synchrony One, KEF Reference 207/2, Klipsch Palladium, B&W 800D, Salon2, Salk Soundscape, Philharmonic, Orion, etc.

I was not referring to dedicated subwoofers, passive or active. Just the woofers inside the towers.
Won't equalizing a passive woofer in a tower mess up the overall SQ. Like messing up the rest of the off-axis FR?

Passively bi/tri-amping won't do much good. We all know about passive bi-amping, right?:D

You can turn up the bass EQ of the passive bi-wire Salon2 or Soundscape 12 or the tri-wire KEF 207/2 to the moon or sun, but they will not output as much bass as a pair of BP7000SC with two 1800watts active 14" subwoofers and four 14" passive radiators.
Obviously, I mean you can use the bi/tri wire options correctly. Ie, active crossovers and controlling the amplifier volume for each connection as you please. In fact, Zu dominance are designed specifically for this and are flat out the most powerful speakers I have ever heard at any price in any room.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Won't equalizing a passive woofer in a tower mess up the overall SQ.
Assuming the cabinet, and drivers aren't coloring the bass response, there's really only two things contributing to SQ

- Flat Frequency Response
- Ability to maintain that response at different SPLs.

So you're right, equalizing a woofer to not have flat frequency response will mess up overall SQ. Just like having a powered woofer 10db hot will ;)

Like messing up the rest of the off-axis FR?
You'd only be implementing a filter from about 110hz down. That way you can keep the bass boost away from the male vocal range (otherwise male dialogue will start to sound bad with too much grunt and chest). So you're well away from the bottom crossover of the salons (which is like 2 octaves higher)

Passively bi/tri-amping won't do much good. We all know about passive bi-amping, right?:D
Sure it will, if you've got the gains set much higher, and more powerful amps, on the bass section.

You can turn up the bass EQ of the passive bi-wire Salon2 or Soundscape 12 or the tri-wire KEF 207/2 to the moon or sun, but they will not output as much bass as a pair of BP7000SC with two 1800watts active 14" subwoofers and four 14" passive radiators.
Well the Salons have the radiating surface area of a 14" woofer. While not very sensitive (needs more powerful for output), the heatsinking of the TRIPLE 8" modified JBL woofers should mean it can handle a LOT of power. The vents don't come into play until the very deep stuff (IE 18hz - 30hz) so the only limit on output is probably amp power, and driver ability to take amp power (thermally and mechanically). The crossover components on the Salons are also pricy stuff designed to take a beating. Given the 86db sensitivity of the Salons, 1000W doesn't sound crazy.

So let's say you roll in one of these amps to handle the bass drivers:

Macro-Tech Series - MA-5002VZ Specifications

You'd have a lot of dynamic power on tap if you really wanted it.

The main issue with using different amps, is whether the gain scales at different SPLs. I'd recommend having the same amps top to bottom. Even 300w from the ATI amps is still a lot of power and with some boost might be more output than you need.

P

Pjl2122

Audiophyte
Very competitive priced loudspeaker -Tekton Pendragon-SE

The New Pendragon-SE has a slightly smaller cabinet ,and uses All Audiophile
type drivers such as for the 3-tweeters are Scanspeak Ring radiators from
their Discovery line,the Mid-Bass uses custom 8 inch drivers from Seas Prestige line.inside as allways Jantzen Copper coils,Mundorf resistors
and I have read why bother spending so muchon Caps .One thing Erics speakers are Very fair priced But the Capacitors he has no control of
which are 2 per speaker is some $600 retail and being so big you have to change Xover parts to accomodate them.Sonicly they are worth every penney I have used these to make better many named brand speakers. The soundstage has much more depth with these ,imaging is improved much more air around the instruments
and depth of image ,the capacitors are not in Oil, Mundorf developed a special Paper that is saturated with a specific oil and they vapor deposited with pure Silver to the paper then tightly wound they take at least 200 hours tostart to openup .If you can spare the extra they make the speaker as a whole that much better.Paint color choice is available for a very reasonable cost depending on how extreme you want to go such as a Candie apple .
I am waiting on delivery and will include pictures in 2 weeks , and initial impressions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis