Dream Speakers Under $6,000 Retail

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DenPureSound & PENG are in the process of searching/researching/buying their dream speakers. Psbfan and others may also be in the same boat.

Other than price, the 2 major considerations are sound quality and measurements. In other words, if they don't even measure well, forget about it. :D

Some speaker brands being considered include Philharmonic, Salk, KEF, PSB, Paradigm, Aperion, Ascend.

What speakers have you auditioned?

What speakers should these guys buy?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Well,PENG is a audio guru and knows his stuff.I would suggest Revel and Dynaudio myself.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Outta that list only Paradigm & PSB Image but more recently the PSB Imagine B bookshelf but only in store and breifly... I might add. I was considering various electronics for my Sierra's and didn't want to use towers for my demo so and they were already setup. That said, I always like the warm and natural sound of the PSB very much like my Energies...IMO... but after hearing the Ascends there was no going back...;).

Ps: I offered my Sierra's to Peng...I thought by giving them a listen he could gauge for himself what buying ID might have to offer....:) He declined fwiw...:confused:.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Well,PENG is a audio guru and knows his stuff.I would suggest Revel and Dynaudio myself.
But PENG being a Canadian seems to only look at PSB and Paradigm speakers, I can only wonder why? :)

With the Product of the Year Award from AH going to APERION for their Grand Verus Towers, and at $1800 per Pair delivered, with a 10yr. warranty, and a Full 30 Day audition period with Return Shipping Paid, how can one compare all the others -- my local Audio shop does not have the higher end of PSB's, Paradigms and/or KEF's only the low end fruit that they sale to masses - not Audiophile Dream Speakers.

Would you pay $1800 to get 97% the way there, or $6000 MSRP ~ $3600 to get 98-99% the way there? :D

If those are the numbers? :eek:

BTW -- only two Aperions used on Audiogon for sale, one sub and one bookshelf listing, not even one Tower pair.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Without a doubt…

Salk HT2-TL, an elegant looking 2-way MTM

or

Philharmonic 3, a larger and possibly bulkier 3-way

All others need not apply.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Telling someone what to buy is ridiculous...such a personal choice, but telling them what to try and listen to is another story... :)

For $6K msrp, I would put the Pioneer S-1EX on the list of speakers to listen to with the others mentioned already. I have had a chance to hear it on a few occasions, and think it is excellent.

Pioneer S-1EX loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
PSB Synch ones fit that bill for me. Definitely the best speaker i have ever heard but my experiences listening to speakers at this price point is pretty limited. I fell in love with them at the first listen on a spendy McIntosh amplifier and could perceive no difference in quality between it and the Parasound newclSsic 5250 v2 ive got on it now. I found myself comparing every speaker i listened to these... ultimately i decided i could do no better for the money and have no regrets. After they run the course of their life, i may even buy another set of the same.

Definitely evaluate all your options as your taste in speakers likely differs from mine.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Without a doubt…

Salk HT2-TL, an elegant looking 2-way MTM

or

Philharmonic 3, a larger and possibly bulkier 3-way

All others need not apply.
Richard,

You must no longer be a man of love for the more than common Bass Reflex ported designs! I think you fell in love w/ ML-TL's and ML-QWTL designs, and Jim and DM. :)

If I am not correct, the REVEL/KEF/Paradigm/PSB Syncs/Aperions/TektonDesign/Klipsch all are using the Bass Reflex Ported design philosophies -- what do they all know that we don't?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
JBL LSR6332 Linear Spatial Reference 3-Way Passive LSR6332L B&H
+
JBL LSR6332 Linear Spatial Reference 3-Way Passive LSR6332R B&H

This is the best of HK I've heard. Insane speakers.

For a home theater I'd get 3 of those for the fronts.

and 4 of these JBL 8320 Compact Cinema Surround Speakers (Pair) 8320 B&H Photo.

Of course lets not forget subs.

2 x SVSound - Box Subwoofers

That would be an amazing setup.

Of course if you could contract out 6k speakers to TLS or someone of similar skill then they'd probably be even more dreamy.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
PSB Synch ones fit that bill for me. Definitely the best speaker i have ever heard but my experiences listening to speakers at this price point is pretty limited. I fell in love with them at the first listen on a spendy McIntosh amplifier and could perceive no difference in quality between it and the Parasound newclSsic 5250 v2 ive got on it now. I found myself comparing every speaker i listened to these... ultimately i decided i could do no better for the money and have no regrets. After they run the course of their life, i may even buy another set of the same.

Definitely evaluate all your options as your taste in speakers likely differs from mine.
I might be wrong, but I see the PSB Sync. Ones also being a Five Driver, 3 way bass reflex ported design, with a Curvilinear Enclosure and rr. ports.

Isn't that very similar to the Aperion Verus Grand Towers, which are around 1/3 the price or less?

Both five driver, 3 way, bass reflex designs. So then, why is the PSB Sync. Ones so much more expensive than the VGT's?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You must no longer be a man of love for the more than common Bass Reflex ported designs! I think you fell in love w/ ML-TL's and ML-QWTL designs, and Jim and DM. :)
That would be yes. It took me about 3 seconds of listening to like those ML-TL designs better than any other I've heard. Paul Kittinger designed all the ML-TL bass alignments sold by both Salk and Philharmonic.
If I am not correct, the REVEL/KEF/Paradigm/PSB Syncs/Aperions/TektonDesign/Klipsch all are using the Bass Reflex Ported design philosophies -- what do they all know that we don't?
To be fair, there may be nothing inherently better or different about a ML-TL design. It may come down to the bass tuning choices that Paul Kittinger makes in his work. If he also designed a non-MLTL ported bass reflex, it might share some of the sound that I like.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, I'm somewhere between riding Depuresounds coattails and taking lsiberian's and ADTG's advice and keeping what I have while saving for the ST or AGVT.

Other than BB and HH Gregg we have one shop that carries Monitor Audio. I haven't made it there yet to audition any speakers. I'm thinking I'll just keep what I have for now, while saving, and wait to hear Denpuresounds review after he gets the AGVT's.

I may look closer at the Philharmonic 2 or 3's. But, I'm not sure they would be as versatile as what I'm looking for in a speaker.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
DenPureSound & PENG are in the process of searching/researching/buying their dream speakers. Psbfan and others may also be in the same boat.

Other than price, the 2 major considerations are sound quality and measurements. In other words, if they don't even measure well, forget about it. :D

Some speaker brands being considered include Philharmonic, Salk, KEF, PSB, Paradigm, Aperion, Ascend.

What speakers have you auditioned?

What speakers should these guys buy?
So without measurements, your saying DO NOT EVEN consider them at all?

Eric Alexander at Tekton Design has a couple awards, and does not publish his plots/measurements either, similar to Klipsch Engr. dept. that will not release their specs either. KEF does not have their measurements either like on the newly released R Series, right below their Reference Series.

Tekton Design has a new design just out which is a Two Way, Two Driver tower speaker that is in the $1400/Pair price range. Some pics forthcoming, hopefully today, but not free shipping back if you do not like them, unlike Aperions Deal.

Some Mfg's. are unwilling to show you there Measured Plots, either from a Quasi-Anechoic or full Anechoic chamber.

Does that exclude all those Mfgs./Model Numbers?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Maybe I misinterpreted, but my understanding was he wouldn't consider a speaker that doesn't measure well, not a speaker that has no measurements. :)

Suggestions not already mentioned:

Evolution Acoustics
Acoustic Zen
Linkwitz Orions

I noticed the word "Retail" was used, but why limit yourself? Buying used can net some amazing speakers within the 6K price range.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I noticed the word "Retail" was used, but why limit yourself? Buying used can net some amazing speakers within the 6K price range.
Agreed. Some great deals out there if you shop smart.

Nuance..I read in the other thread that you are possibly looking at purchasing speakers from DM? Are you made of money? :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Certainly far from being all inclusive it is a starting point.

(2011) Stereo Loudspeakers Up to $4999

Take Notice here: Aperion Verus Grand Towers

The gist: The new speaker-to-get-under-$2000 CLASS LEADER.
The problem with that list is it is only stuff that they have reviewed...in 2011. Not very comprehensive. If you look at things like that...then there are many starting points. :)

Have you gotten any measurements from them?

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Agreed. Some great deals out there if you shop smart.

Nuance..I read in the other thread that you are possibly looking at purchasing speakers from DM? Are you made of money? :)
Lol, heck no I am not made of money. Dennis is offering a crazy amount of performance for cheap; so cheap it's hard to pass up. Speaking of hard, it wont be easy convincing the wife.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Lol, heck no I am not made of money. Dennis is offering a crazy amount of performance for cheap; so cheap it's hard to pass up. Speaking of hard, it wont be easy convincing the wife.
Maybe ask for forgiveness, rather than permission? :)

Dennis did say the midrange would sound different than your ST's. I would be careful of that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis