Dream Separates System

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you could own a dream separates system (1. Pre-pro + Amp, 2. Integrated Amp, 3. Preamp + Amp), what would it be (only one system) ?

That's right, no room for AVRs here. :D

For me right now, it would be the $7K McIntosh MX122 Audyssey XT32 Pre-pro and $7K McIntosh MC205 Amp.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Almost enough budget to get my dream pre-pro, the Trinnov Altitude 16 channel version :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
If you could own a $20K separates system (1. Pre-pro + Amp, 2. Integrated Amp, 3. Preamp + Amp), what would it be (only one system) ?

That's right, no room for AVRs here. :D

For me right now, it would be the $7K McIntosh MX122 Audyssey XT32 Pre-pro and $7K McIntosh MC205 Amp.

Aesthetically beautiful components.

But how would these amps give you better sound?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
1. McIntosh MX122 Pre-pro and the McIntosh MC205 Power Amp

vs

2. Denon X4400H Receiver

DBT

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aesthetically beautiful components.

But how would these amps give you better sound?
1. McIntosh MX122 Pre-pro and the McIntosh MC205 Power Amp

vs

2. Denon X4400H Receiver

DBT

The McIntosh brand just looks pretty and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and bragging rights. :D

Audyssey XT32 DEQ (Denon/Marantz/McIntosh) and the Speaker System gives me the great sound.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
The McIntosh brand just looks pretty and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and bragging rights. :D

Audyssey XT32 DEQ (Denon/Marantz/McIntosh) and the Speaker System gives me the great sound.
I thought this was your past experience? And you had dream stuff and realized it sounds same as cheapper components?)))

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought this was your past experience? And you had dream stuff and realized it sounds same as cheapper components?)))
Oh, no, I’m not saying that I’m buying anything like that anymore.

My current pre-pro is the $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI, which costs more than my "dream" McIntosh MX122 pre-pro! :D

My current amps are the ATI AT2005 + AT3005, which is $8,400 combined.

The McIntosh gears are prettier to me, not better sounding. I have no plans to buy them. ;)

I'm just saying that if I were rich, that's what I would buy right now.

Just wondering what guys are “dreaming” of these days in terms of electronics. :D

Is it determined by the Room Correction software ?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Money no object or what? At some point, look and room EQ will be the determining factor for me, unless money no object include a new house/room.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Having owned Mc gear, one good reason for purchase is resale. Last piece I sold was for 1k over its purchase price :). Not that its common place, but in good condition one could reasonably expect to get 75% of the purchase pruce back.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Almost enough budget to get my dream pre-pro, the Trinnov Altitude 16 channel version :)
The JBL Synthesis SDP-75 is the one you want. They worked directly with Trinnov (hence the shared chassis) but left out the unreliable/overly complex/ineffective circuits and software Trinnov uses.

On the more realistic side of the pricing scale, I am very excited to see the new Emotiva! I was near sold on the Yamaha until Gene commented on the painfully slow switching, which is not an issue on my Yamaha AVR?!?!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Money no object or what? At some point, look and room EQ will be the determining factor for me, unless money no object include a new house/room.
Yeah, price-no-object.

Just one dream electronic system.

What kind of new house/room ? Just bigger with acoustic treatments like those commercial treated rooms?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The JBL Synthesis SDP-75 is the one you want. They worked directly with Trinnov (hence the shared chassis) but left out the unreliable/overly complex/ineffective circuits and software Trinnov uses.
Very sleek looking Pre-pro.

I didn't realize the JBL/Harman Room Correction system worked together with Trinnov?

So we have a Lexicon pre-pro (also of Harman) that uses Dirac.

And now this JBL pre-pro incorporates Trinnov ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On the more realistic side of the pricing scale, I am very excited to see the new Emotiva! I was near sold on the Yamaha until Gene commented on the painfully slow switching, which is not an issue on my Yamaha AVR?!?!
Which one had the slow switching? the Emotiva, right?

I think RichB and others have complained about how it took a long time for EMO to turn on and switch components.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Very sleek looking Pre-pro.

I didn't realize the JBL/Harman Room Correction system worked together with Trinnov?

So we have a Lexicon pre-pro (also of Harman) that uses Dirac.

And now this JBL pre-pro incorporates Trinnov ?
Harman worked with Trinnov and Dirac, but I am 99% sure the room correction is proprietary, and is ONLY available in this model, Harman does not currently offer a mass market solution for room EQ.

I believe a part of that is the SDP-75 is designed with JBL Synthesis in mind - meaning that the processor can download the anechoic response measurements of any Harman product, and then directly compare that to the steady state in room response to 'correct' and room related issues, accordingly. But I also believe you take much more than listening position measurements, as well....

Which one had the slow switching? the Emotiva, right?

I think RichB and others have complained about how it took a long time for EMO to turn on and switch components.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

At the bottom is 'Room for Improvement' - HDMI switching is cited as a complaint. I just find that odd that the switching in my 3060 AVR is the most reliable I've ever used. I've had occasions where too many switches on some older Denon's (pretty sure this happened on the 4520) lost me picture or sound and had to be restarted along with the source.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So you’re more into Dirac?
Well, Gene lusts after it so there's must be something right about it. Plus the nerd in me likes huge amount of tweaks/features possible on it. 16 channels support is not bad either.
Its also very much unsurprising, that you didn't question my dream amp choice :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Gene lusts after it so there's must be something right about it. Plus the nerd in me likes huge amount of tweaks/features possible on it. 16 channels support is not bad either.
Its also very much unsurprising, that you didn't question my dream amp choice :)
But you've never heard a system with Dirac like Emotiva?

Well, amps are kind of boring to me. They basically serve to match the AVP in aesthetics (and amplify the signal). :D

The salient component is the AVP - the mastermind - the CPU.

I love ATI amps, but they are not my "dream" system. Maybe the amps ATI builds for Theta Digital or Mark Levinson. Those are pretty. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis