Dream Separates System

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nobody has hdmi 2.1 in their dreams? Seems like hdmi is the dead end many fear on high end preamps. Or are you saying the gear has to exist today? LOL :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nobody has hdmi 2.1 in their dreams? Seems like hdmi is the dead end many fear on high end preamps. Or are you saying the gear has to exist today? LOL :)
Exists today or at least upcoming announced.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think if I’m spending my own cash I’m dreaming of a Yamaha 5100 series processor but one with hdmi 2.1 and why not 5 GHz WiFi instead of 2.4 too, such as next years or the following years and the amps would not be Yamahas. I’m not sure which amp but I would want an A/B with balanced inputs. A few new 20 amp circuits from my electrical panel as well of course... :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
upload_2018-5-3_7-25-58.png

upload_2018-5-3_7-26-6.png

Twenty years ago this became my dream system. Classé CA-200 power amp and CP-50 pre-amp. I still have these components. At the time, I thought I was in audiophile heaven. In reality of course, it was all an illusion. These amps drove B&W 801 Matrix Series II speakers with Cardas cables. Yes, Cardas speaker cables. Oh brother, did I fall for it.

Embarrassing? Yes. Regret? Yes. Felt stupid? Yes. Luckily, I've learned a lot in twenty years. Today, my Denon AVR sounds just as good if not better than these audiophile amps because of built-in EQ and other features.

I will say this about these twenty year old separates though, they were both built rock-solid with long-lasting parts. I have never had any trouble (knock on wood) with either of these amps in the two decades I have owned them.

But do they sound better than amps costing far, far less? Nope.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have rather pedestrian sensibilities and believe dreaming allows for vintage gear to be perfectly restored!
I don't think dream separates would sound better, so I am purely looking at gear that matches my sense of aesthetics! I love the clean lines of this Denon combo, and the silver color gives it a "lightness of being" which I find refreshing in this world of Black Darth Vader Audio Tech.

As a practical matter, I would need to use miniDSP for EQ and crossovers for a fine sounding 2.2 music system.
No need for Dynamic EQ because I would always listen at my "dream" SPL using my miniDSP "dream" EQ settings.:p
KEW
Even though I'm not in the market, your post of the silver finished Denon equipment cost me an hour on ebay and other sites looking them over. I agree with your sentiments: great looking lines and the silver finish is a nice break from the Darth Vader Black we have everywhere else. And it has meters !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 24124

View attachment 24125

Twenty years ago this became my dream system. Classé CA-200 power amp and CP-50 pre-amp. I still have these components. At the time, I thought I was in audiophile heaven. In reality of course, it was all an illusion. These amps drove B&W 801 Matrix Series II speakers with Cardas cables. Yes, Cardas speaker cables. Oh brother, did I fall for it.

Embarrassing? Yes. Regret? Yes. Felt stupid? Yes. Luckily, I've learned a lot in twenty years. Today, my Denon AVR sounds just as good if not better than these audiophile amps because of built-in EQ and other features.

I will say this about these twenty year old separates though, they were both built rock-solid with long-lasting parts. I have never had any trouble (knock on wood) with either of these amps in the two decades I have owned them.

But do they sound better than amps costing far, far less? Nope.
Yeah, I think "Dream" is mainly aesthetics and maybe pride of ownership/ bragging rights. :D

Unless I am just too rich, I don't see myself spending that kind of money like I used to on this hobby.

But it's just a fun fantasy dream - like dreaming about that $250K Dream Car. :D

But at the same time, it's not just about money for me, even if it were a dream.

I have to know with confidence that this dream system will sound at least as good as my current system.

If I don't have confidence that Dirac, Trinnov, ARC, or any other EQ will sound as good as my DEQ found even in the Denon X3400 AVR that goes on sale for $599, I wouldn't spend $30K even if I were a billionaire.

So it's Reality + Dream. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if I’m spending my own cash I’m dreaming of a Yamaha 5100 series processor but one with hdmi 2.1 and why not 5 GHz WiFi instead of 2.4 too, such as next years or the following years and the amps would not be Yamahas. I’m not sure which amp but I would want an A/B with balanced inputs. A few new 20 amp circuits from my electrical panel as well of course... :)
Come on, man. Live a little. It's a dream! :D

Do you use the EQ system? YPAO vs Audyssey or YPAO volume vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ ?

Heard Dirac vs Trinnov vs Lyngdorf?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Come on, man. Live a little. It's a dream! :D

Do you use the EQ system? YPAO vs Audyssey or YPAO volume vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ ?

Heard Dirac vs Trinnov vs Lyngdorf?
Honestly I would love to hear everything in a blind test that you hard core members have suggested. I am not convinced my own ears would arrive at the same conclusions. Also I only know YPAO so I can’t say for sure. I may need to demo more gear and attend conventions to educate myself... :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly I would love to hear everything in a blind test that you hard core members have suggested. I am not convinced my own ears would arrive at the same conclusions. Also I only know YPAO so I can’t say for sure. I may need to demo more gear and attend conventions to educate myself... :)
No, I get it.

You're 100% confident in YPAO and the A5100 is highest dollar YPAO pre-pro.

You're not 100% confident with the other EQ systems.

No point of buying anything else if you're not sure whether they will even sound as good.

Okay, so the Yamaha CX-A5100 with latest HDMI/WiFI, etc.

What about amps if not Yamaha amps?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bet @ematthews dreams about the $8,000 Marantz Integrated Amp with 200W x 2Ch 8 ohms, 400W x 2Ch 4 ohms.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, I get it.

You're 100% confident in YPAO and the A5100 is highest dollar YPAO pre-pro.

You're not 100% confident with the other EQ systems.

No point of buying anything else if you're not sure whether they will even sound as good.

Okay, so the Yamaha CX-A5100 with latest HDMI/WiFI, etc.

What about amps if not Yamaha amps?
I would probably be ok with Parasound halo amps that many like but my own ears may be unable to tell the difference vs Monolith 7 to be honest. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would probably be ok with Parasound halo amps that many like but my own ears may be unable to tell the difference vs Monolith 7 to be honest. :)
Yeah, I like to match aesthetics (same brand line), but since you like the Yamaha Pre-pro, but not the matching amp, I was wondering which brand you fancy. :D

Too bad Yamaha and Denon don't make a 200W x 5Ch amp. They keep on making 150WPC amps. I mean not a big difference, but still. :D

Actually right now, Denon doesn't even make a 150WPC external amp.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The silver AR Preamp looks sweet.

I assume you are going with the Pass Labs amp because AR doesn't make a more powerful amp?
no, it's because IMO ARC and Pass are a great combo, my current 2 channel rig is a ARC LS28 and a pair of Pass X260.8's

Otherwise, I assume you would also get a matching AR amp for aesthetics?
the aesthetics of ARC and Pass are really quite nice

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I bet @ematthews dreams about the $8,000 Marantz Integrated Amp with 200W x 2Ch 8 ohms, 400W x 2Ch 4 ohms.

that's a pretty dang sweet looking amp. My first audio fetish would be those McIntosh amps with the blue meters. But right behind those would be the Marantz products at their high end. I'm still safe. I still can't afford either one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting, Pass is using the 1khz/1%THD power rating. Imagining two of those each putting out 53C (127F)....saves on heating costs or adds to air conditioning costs :)
I guess he better get a good HVAC system first. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis