Dream Separates System

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
no, it's because IMO ARC and Pass are a great combo, my current 2 channel rig is a ARC LS28 and a pair of Pass X260.8's

the aesthetics of ARC and Pass are really quite nice
I guess at least they're both Silver looking.

But I think the Pass Labs Preamp looks pretty great.

So why not Pass Labs Preamp + Pass Labs Amp?

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I guess he better get a good HVAC system first. :D
my current X260.8's are a non-issue with just plain old 'central air', but as PENG said, our dream systems will be in our dream house / audio rooms !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
my current X260.8's are a non-issue with just plain old 'central air', but as PENG said, our dream systems will be in our dream house / audio rooms !
Would anyone buy these dream systems before buying their dream homes first? :D

I bet there are some crazy people who might. :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Almost expected to see a lower running temp on the 260.8 but no...same. That's what air conditioned equipment closets are for. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Almost expected to see a lower running temp on the 260.8 but no...same. That's what air conditioned equipment closets are for. :)
I was watching a movie last night when the A/C came on in my equipment closet (has it's own zone). A bit weird. :D

Somehow the AC was set to 78F in the closet. So I changed it to 80F.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I was watching a movie last night when the A/C came on in my equipment closet (has it's own zone). A bit weird. :D

Somehow the AC was set to 78F in the closet. So I changed it to 80F.
Not sure how much gear you have in there, but that sounds a bit high to set your thermostat unless the fan cycles regularly?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure how much gear you have in there, but that sounds a bit high to set your thermostat unless the fan cycles regularly?
The closet has 4 PCs, ATI AT3005 and AT2005 amps, 1 Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

What's the recommended temperature setting?

It seems many internal component fans are programmed to turn on when above 85F, so I figured 80F would be adequate for the room.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The closet has 4 PCs, ATI AT3005 and AT2005 amps, 1 Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

What's the recommended temperature setting?

It seems many internal component fans are programmed to turn on when above 85F, so I figured 80F would be adequate for the room.
My equipment closet fan is set to not let the temp get over 88 degrees. I've had no issues. No AVRs in there though. Just big servers and such.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My equipment closet fan is set to not let the temp get over 88 degrees. I've had no issues. No AVRs in there though. Just big servers and such.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry as much about PCs/Servers temp - 85-88F seems about right.

It's the Pre-pro and Amps I worry more about. :D

I've always set the thermostat to 80F. It feels cool enough.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I'm going to pretend it's 20-25 years ago or so and I am still audiophile delusional.

Here I go....

upload_2018-5-4_13-7-35.png

and....

upload_2018-5-4_13-8-6.png

There you go.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
with sound to match !
Maybe. Nelson's obsession with static induction transistors and his argument that they sound so much better than more common bipolar transistors, and the entire discussion of comparing them to triode tubes, just leaves me smelling something funny. I'm all for super-premium construction and materials, but choosing transistors like you choose grapes for wine, at audio frequencies, just rubs me the wrong way. He says plausible-sounding technical stuff, like amp sound being affected by the distribution of noise and distortion in the spectrum, but I have trouble understanding how artifacts that are 90db or more below the fundamentals are so audible in real time. I think if someone gave me a pair (well, four chassis weighing about 600lbs for a stereo pair) I'd be embarrassed to display them. And they would sit there dissipating something like 1.5KW at idle. No thanks.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm going to pretend it's 20-25 years ago or so and I am still audiophile delusional.

Here I go....

View attachment 24144

and....

View attachment 24145

There you go.
Dang, that's nice looking stuff. I don't care if its practical or super efficient.
If you've got stuff like that, it needs to be seen. This is a thread about dream separates not price performing big box specials. That's stuff that belongs in dreams.

If other folks here have more stuff like this, even if it has the dreaded tubes in it, I think we need to have a look. As long as we're dreaming...........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis