dracullus' SVS SB-1000 review

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
Already talked with them and got an RMA and FedEx will come pick them up on Friday. Once they get them back, I will get a full refund on my order and place the new order for the PB-2000. Doug suggested I get one first and see how it does before ordering Duals. He also swayed me from going forward with the isolation feet as they are helpful in certain scenarios only. I hope I'm not jumping the gun and am making the right decision here with swapping the two 1000's for the one 2000. I'm sure there is not much out there on them yet but I'd imagine they are going to be amazing. What's your view on my move? Yay or Nay...

Things are looking up, UPS just delivered my XPA-100 and SVS sent my Return labels. FedEx will deliver my speakers on Friday when I'm off. Sweet!
Good move. Let us know how you like the PB-2000 when you get it. I am thinking of picking one up as well.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Regarding the launch of the 2000-series - while this launch was admittedly leaked (by international dealers) a few times over the last few months, SVS USA wanted to announce the launch of the 2000-series at CES to make a nice splash.

Announcing product launches at major audio shows is good marketing, and our CS reps naturally were not allowed to prematurely leak this launch to customers. The nice thing is our world-class Bill Of Rights consumerism policies covers our customers, and anyone who made a recent purchase and wants to try the new 2000-series instead is certainly welcome to do that. As pcsolutionz stated above, we're taking care of him 100%.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
I'm always sure to give credit where credit is due Ed. SVS has delivered a second to none approach at customer service and have been a pleasure to do business with. Enough so that I have not been able to return the 1000's as of yet and already placed my new order. FedEx has been a nightmare on my end and have failed to pick up my subs twice now and looks like they won't be here today either. If I'd known the cost and hassle of a pickup from them, I would have just arranged to drop them off. This is not on SVS as they are not who dropped the ball.

Ed, if you are reading this, it says on the owners manual for the PB-2000 and SB-2000 on your website that the 2000 series are available in piano gloss black or premium black ash. Though the option to select finish is not a choice. If at all possible, I would certainly go with piano gloss black and if so will need to adjust my order before it ships. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts!

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
I'm always sure to give credit where credit is due Ed. SVS has delivered a second to none approach at customer service and have been a pleasure to do business with. Enough so that I have not been able to return the 1000's as of yet and already placed my new order. FedEx has been a nightmare on my end and have failed to pick up my subs twice now and looks like they won't be here today either. If I'd known the cost and hassle of a pickup from them, I would have just arranged to drop them off. This is not on SVS as they are not who dropped the ball.

Ed, if you are reading this, it says on the owners manual for the PB-2000 and SB-2000 on your website that the 2000 series are available in piano gloss black or premium black ash. Though the option to select finish is not a choice. If at all possible, I would certainly go with piano gloss black and if so will need to adjust my order before it ships. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts!
The SB-2000 is not currently available in gloss black - apologies for that in the owner's manual. We are currently evaluating demand for gloss, particularly for the SB-2000. I think the chances are solid for the SB-2000 to eventually get gloss, but nothing is pending/imminent.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
The SB-2000 is not currently available in gloss black - apologies for that in the owner's manual. We are currently evaluating demand for gloss, particularly for the SB-2000. I think the chances are solid for the SB-2000 to eventually get gloss, but nothing is pending/imminent.
Thanks for the feedback and I spoke with SVS regarding the gloss. For me, I'd be willing to pay regardless to get the finish I want, but that's me. It will be a hit for you guys if you end up offering the gloss as I myself would want to send back the ash finish for the gloss if it became available. I just have a hard time having such a nice piece of equipment knowing that the cabinet could peel off. lol. The PB-1000 was nice but I definitely would have felt better having a better finish to the cabinet. I really like the design and all aspects of the 2000 and for the price, will suck it up for vinyl. No doubt my PB-2000 would have me a lot more excited if the cabinet was of higher quality. I may just switch and get the Plus but it will be way overkill for my condo. Either way, you guys offer an awesome product at its' price point and customer service second to none. Appreciate your time...

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Thanks for the feedback and I spoke with SVS regarding the gloss. For me, I'd be willing to pay regardless to get the finish I want, but that's me. It will be a hit for you guys if you end up offering the gloss as I myself would want to send back the ash finish for the gloss if it became available. I just have a hard time having such a nice piece of equipment knowing that the cabinet could peel off. lol. The PB-1000 was nice but I definitely would have felt better having a better finish to the cabinet. I really like the design and all aspects of the 2000 and for the price, will suck it up for vinyl. No doubt my PB-2000 would have me a lot more excited if the cabinet was of higher quality. I may just switch and get the Plus but it will be way overkill for my condo. Either way, you guys offer an awesome product at its' price point and customer service second to none. Appreciate your time...
If the PB12-Plus is overkill for the condo, look hard at the SB13-Ultra which is much smaller than the Plus and also comes in gloss.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Thanks! I'd thought of it but have been advised to go with ported. I'll most likely try the PB-2000 and sure my expectations will be met. There are down-sides to gloss all in the same as far as glare and hairline scratches over time, not to mention dust most likely is a PIA to keep it looking spiffy. Not aiming to have the sub stand out, just not pull away from the aesthetics of my media room. Regardless, I am pumped to try out my new purchase from the newest SVS lineup. Thanks again...

F

FiremanFrank

Audiophyte
To the OP, thanks for a very informative and interesting review. I don't know if you are a writer by trade but you sure have the gift.

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
To the OP, thanks for a very informative and interesting review. I don't know if you are a writer by trade but you sure have the gift.
Thanks Frank. I really appreciate that, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I am no writer by trade, English is actually my second language. :)

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
Just ordered a pair of PB1000 from sonicboom ( svs rep in Canada ). They will be here in a couple days. Question I have... would it have made sense to get one PB1000 and one SB1000 ? That way I have the best of both worlds. I want a movie thump and such, but am worried if the SB1000 would be better for music ( quicker and tighter than the PB1000 ) I have a small/ medium sized room.

Anyone ?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just ordered a pair of PB1000 from sonicboom ( svs rep in Canada ). They will be here in a couple days. Question I have... would it have made sense to get one PB1000 and one SB1000 ? That way I have the best of both worlds. I want a movie thump and such, but am worried if the SB1000 would be better for music ( quicker and tighter than the PB1000 ) I have a small/ medium sized room.

Anyone ?
I have 1 PB1000 in a studio apt and it's plenty for me. I watch Movies and Concerts and fills the room plenty. I'm extremely happy. How big is your Apt? You can always Email or call SVS they get back to you right away and honestly tell you what you need.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
I have 1 PB1000 in a studio apt and it's plenty for me. I watch Movies and Concerts and fills the room plenty. I'm extremely happy. How big is your Apt? You can always Email or call SVS they get back to you right away and honestly tell you what you need.
It is a house but the room is about 16x20. I just wonder if the sealed SB1000 would be better for music AND movies ? Would having a SB1000 AND PB1000 be a good idea ???

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It is a house but the room is about 16x20. I just wonder if the sealed SB1000 would be better for music AND movies ? Would having a SB1000 AND PB1000 be a good idea ???
I would call them. Those guys are great and take their time with you. They won't pressure you, so no worries. Go ahead and email them. If I had the choice between them though I'd get the PB1000 over again for both Music & Movies. This thing goes down real low and scares the crap out of me sometimes. :)

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
I would call them. Those guys are great and take their time with you. They won't pressure you, so no worries. Go ahead and email them. If I had the choice between them though I'd get the PB1000 over again for both Music & Movies. This thing goes down real low and scares the crap out of me sometimes. :)
Does it seem fast and punchy ? I know the sealed are a little more responsive, but won't go as low as the ported.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
They did respond and suggested I stay with my order.... 2) PB1000 They even said this with the new PB2000/SB2000 on the market. Seeing I am 50/50 music to movies I am just trying to make the right choice. I know.... can't have both, just want the best of both worlds..... :eek:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They did respond and suggested I stay with my order.... 2) PB1000 They even said this with the new PB2000/SB2000 on the market. Seeing I am 50/50 music to movies I am just trying to make the right choice. I know.... can't have both, just want the best of both worlds..... :eek:
I'm telling you, you will be happy, but like you know you can always exchange them. I not technical in describing like the guys here, but my ear knows a great product when I hear it. I hope you come back and share your thoughts and most of all ENJOY.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis