dracullus' SVS SB-1000 review

R

ratm

Audioholic
IF you dont mind, what camera do you use to capture those?

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
IF you dont mind, what camera do you use to capture those?
Of course I don't mind :) For the actual photos of the sub/and room etc, I used a Canon 5d Mark II with a 14mm wide angle, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

And to capture the Bluray movie screen shots, I had to use AnyDVDHD to rip the m2ts video files from my Blurays onto my hard drive, then used Powerdvd to open the m2ts. Then I used the Powerdvd screen capture feature to save to jpg, so it was an actual shot of my screen, no camera used there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While I like the review and appreciate the nicely taken pics and the videos, the sum comes out to be a bit too much (lots of pics and vids compared to the review portion). A little editing or just shifting of things around might have made it a bit more concise, but overall I still felt it was a very well done review.

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
While I like the review and appreciate the nicely taken pics and the videos, the sum comes out to be a bit too much (lots of pics and vids compared to the review portion). A little editing or just shifting of things around might have made it a bit more concise, but overall I still felt it was a very well done review.
Thanks, too bad you didn't enjoy the visuals as much as others. Most seemed to appreciate the photos and videos, so it might be a matter of personal style and opinion I guess.

Last edited:
S

SoCal626

Audioholic Intern
Great review! of the sb-1000.
This sub sounds like it'll play just about any thing you through at it, also makes me want to replace my JBL sub :cool: :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for taking the time to write the review. It is clear you put a lot into it. Congrats!

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
after reading this review (read it when you first posted it) i want to buy this sub just to try it out LOL, my gf will kill me though!

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for taking the time to write the review. It is clear you put a lot into it. Congrats!
Thank you :)

after reading this review (read it when you first posted it) i want to buy this sub just to try it out LOL, my gf will kill me though!
Haha :) cool, right on, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I wanted to give people a good feel for it. It was a lot of work, but I had a great time doing it.

The performance:size ratio of this sub is really good. It's very efficient and sounds great (IMO) for a for a small sealed 13" cube. Your gf might not notice if you buy it and hide it somewhere in the room, it small and easily concealable ;) but my advice is to STAY ALIVE and keep the GF happy! haha :D

Cheers!

M

MRH88

Audiophyte
Just wondering if anyone knows how this will stack up against an 8" 180w RMS ported sub for movies.

I have a Velodyne DEQ-8R and am thinking of upgrading to a better sub for music but i still do some occasional movie viewing.

Will the SB-1000 have better output for movies over the Velo despite being a sealed design?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just wondering if anyone knows how this will stack up against an 8" 180w RMS ported sub for movies.

I have a Velodyne DEQ-8R and am thinking of upgrading to a better sub for music but i still do some occasional movie viewing.

Will the SB-1000 have better output for movies over the Velo despite being a sealed design?
I am going to say the SB-1000 will easily improve your listening. Sealed yes, but more surface area and literally twice the power as well. The DEQ-8R lists a -3dB of just 32Hz, so I'll expect a pretty significant improvement there also.

SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken

Audiophyte
Heya guys, 1st time poster here

Almost purchased the PS1000 based on this review

I can get the SVS PB12-NSD for $100 AUD more, is it worth the upgrade?
I have a pair of HeybrookHB100, love them and listen to music, but like my sub accurate, hence the read of this review

Am I going the right path?
Awesome review btw

;)

dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
Get a sealed sub if you're looking for accuracy and if you plan to use the sub primarily for music. SB-1000 or a SB12-NSD (both are sealed) should pair fine with the HB100's, although I've never auditioned those speakers personally. The PB12-NSD is ported, but will still put a smile on your face.

Heya guys, 1st time poster here

Almost purchased the PS1000 based on this review

I can get the SVS PB12-NSD for $100 AUD more, is it worth the upgrade?
I have a pair of HeybrookHB100, love them and listen to music, but like my sub accurate, hence the read of this review

Am I going the right path?
Awesome review btw

;)

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
I am looking at this sub (SB-1000) and possibly buying a pair but am torn between whether or not I should spend a bit more for a big brother model. Unfortunately, regardless of price, I loke the newer model cabinets used with the 1000 series over the NSD models. The nice rounded corners really appeal to me but the drop of 100 watts in the amp for both the SB-1000 and PB-1000 has me worried. The one benefit it seems to be with the PB-1000 is that it is sporting a 10" driver with 300 watts rather than 12" with the SB-1000. I'm just trying to figure out what option would give me the most sub for the money and at the same time look great in my new condo. I am more concerned with moderate volumes and higher detailed bass than room shaking bass at high decibels. I do not want to get evicted or I'd just grab a PB12 Plus and be done with it. It's a toss up for me to go with Dual SB-1000 and save space while having nice clean bass or go with Dual PB-1000 with more punch but less detail. I listen to music but am no audiophile by any means. My system will be mainly HT for movies and will more times than not be enjoyed at low to moderate levels. Any suggestions on best way to go?

Signature system is current but have Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva LPA-1 hooked up. Polk RtiA5, CsiA6 and RtiA3 in the mail along with Emotiva XPA-100 to power the CsiA6. Looking for best sub for my new living area.

Last edited:
dracullus

dracullus

Audioholic Intern
I am looking at this sub (SB-1000) and possibly buying a pair but am torn between whether or not I should spend a bit more for a big brother model. Unfortunately, regardless of price, I loke the newer model cabinets used with the 1000 series over the NSD models. The nice rounded corners really appeal to me but the drop of 100 watts in the amp for both the SB-1000 and PB-1000 has me worried. The one benefit it seems to be with the PB-1000 is that it is sporting a 10" driver with 300 watts rather than 12" with the SB-1000. I'm just trying to figure out what option would give me the most sub for the money and at the same time look great in my new condo. I am more concerned with moderate volumes and higher detailed bass than room shaking bass at high decibels. I do not want to get evicted or I'd just grab a PB12 Plus and be done with it. It's a toss up for me to go with Dual SB-1000 and save space while having nice clean bass or go with Dual PB-1000 with more punch but less detail. I listen to music but am no audiophile by any means. My system will be mainly HT for movies and will more times than not be enjoyed at low to moderate levels. Any suggestions on best way to go?

Signature system is current but have Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva LPA-1 hooked up. Polk RtiA5, CsiA6 and RtiA3 in the mail along with Emotiva XPA-100 to power the CsiA6. Looking for best sub for my new living area.
Hey if you haven't purchased anything already, I would take a good look at SVS' new "SB-2000" or "PB-2000" models. Similar cabinet design as their SB/PB 1000 models, but are more powerful, DSP controlled, and are both capable of subsonic bass frequencies which is pretty cool. They look promising and might fit your situation better? I'm no pro and it's hard to recommend a model, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would say that, at low to moderate levels you'd be happy even with the SB/PB 1000 models (in a dual-config) depending on your room size. If you have a very large & or open HT/living-room then you'd probably need a larger sub(s) like the Plus or Ultra models, or dual SB/PB 2000's.

Hope that helps

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Seriously!

Hey if you haven't purchased anything already, I would take a good look at SVS' new "SB-2000" or "PB-2000" models. Similar cabinet design as their SB/PB 1000 models, but are more powerful, DSP controlled, and are both capable of subsonic bass frequencies which is pretty cool. They look promising and might fit your situation better? I'm no pro and it's hard to recommend a model, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would say that, at low to moderate levels you'd be happy even with the SB/PB 1000 models (in a dual-config) depending on your room size. If you have a very large & or open HT/living-room then you'd probably need a larger sub(s) like the Plus or Ultra models, or dual SB/PB 2000's.

Hope that helps
I can not believe what I am seeing after looking at your post. I received my Dual PB-1000 subs 2 days ago after a couple weeks of trying to decide between the 1000 model and NSD models. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with SVS explaining what it was I liked about each model and their features. Basically what I explained to them would be my perfect sub is exactly what they now offer in the 2000 series. Though I am fairly satisfied with my order, I would have no doubt gone with one these new designs if I had even a hint of their arrival. I'm pretty upset that they did not even mention them to me at all. Worst part is that there was absolutely no rush for me to get my sub at all. I'm going to have to take this up with them and see if I can have them replaced. One of them hasn't even been opened yet and the other I took out, looked at and put back in the box. What a hassle to have to ship them back but I would way prefer the more powerful, newer model and design than the 1000. They never shipped my isolation feet either so I have to contact them regardless. Funny thing I got a tracking number and they were documented as delivered. Whatever! My speakers were suppose to arrive today and I took the night off from work. No speakers and they are caught in a snow storm and have no idea when they will be delivered. Now I'll have to wait and drive an hour to pick them up at FedEx. Not having a great experience with my new build so far. UPS also should have been here by now today with my XPA-100, don't know where they are either. Kind of wish I didn't see your post, lol.

Thanks for the heads up just wicked bad timing...

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Already talked with them and got an RMA and FedEx will come pick them up on Friday. Once they get them back, I will get a full refund on my order and place the new order for the PB-2000. Doug suggested I get one first and see how it does before ordering Duals. He also swayed me from going forward with the isolation feet as they are helpful in certain scenarios only. I hope I'm not jumping the gun and am making the right decision here with swapping the two 1000's for the one 2000. I'm sure there is not much out there on them yet but I'd imagine they are going to be amazing. What's your view on my move? Yay or Nay...

Things are looking up, UPS just delivered my XPA-100 and SVS sent my Return labels. FedEx will deliver my speakers on Friday when I'm off. Sweet!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis