Dolby Surround & DTS Neural:X "Upmixers" on New Denon X2800 in a 5.1 System

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yeah mine is a bit newer so just different/more choices.
Hope I don't get called out again for liking what you said. :)

I believe that old Listening Mode Preset doesn't exist on newer AVR's because their processing and memory functions are vastly superior. No need to force the inputs what to do with any signal.

I've been watching Seinfeld start to finish...really bad 2 channel sound, the original was probably mono.
I tried all DSP functions, and Neural:X actually sounded best. (Don't really like Neural:X and rarely use it)

Now, every time I play one of those episodes from file, my Pioneer switches to Neural:X. I didn't need to tell the AVR what to do..it somehow knows and doesn't switch to Neural:X for anything else that's 2 channel.

Given the wide variations in how sources are recorded and mastered, it's probably not good to assume they all will sound best with the same DSP processing applied based on what input they happen to be on.

Pushing a couple of buttons to get the best sound with your sources isn't that hard, is it ?
I just don't get this thread.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Can't wait until this thread about basically nothing gets to 100 pages.
Said so eloquently from the individual who regularly has nothing to say. Very rich.

And it WASN'T for nothing -- I was originally having issues understanding how these upmixers on the new AVRs worked. Is that a crime?

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Hope I don't get called out again for liking what you said. :)
Maybe explain why you regularly "like" comments when it makes little sense to do so.

I believe that old Listening Mode Preset doesn't exist on newer AVR's because their processing and memory functions are vastly superior. No need to force the inputs what to do with any signal.

I've been watching Seinfeld start to finish...really bad 2 channel sound, the original was probably mono.
I tried all DSP functions, and Neural:X actually sounded best. (Don't really like Neural:X and rarely use it)

Now, every time I play one of those episodes from file, my Pioneer switches to Neural:X. I didn't need to tell the AVR what to do..it somehow knows and doesn't switch to Neural:X for anything else that's 2 channel.

Given the wide variations in how sources are recorded and mastered, it's probably not good to assume they all will sound best with the same DSP processing applied based on what input they happen to be on.

Pushing a couple of buttons to get the best sound with your sources isn't that hard, is it ?
I just don't get this thread.
Of course you don't get it -- I especially stated, from the beginning, that I don't want to have to push a button EVERY TIME I switch from a multichannel source to a 2.0 signal, because we watch varying content like this back to back, and I'd rather the AVR automatically switch. The ONLY way this seems to work with the Denons, at least, is to leave the upmixers "engaged" all the time for everything.

If you don't care for the content being discussed, why even comment?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Maybe explain why you regularly "like" comments when it makes little sense to do so.

If you don't care for the content being discussed, why even comment?
Lady, I don't need to explain to you why I like something...thats nunya business and "likes" are very rarely mentioned by posters. You've mentioned me twice when I liked someone else's comments in this thread.
(that means I agree you're being OCD about all this)

Otherwise I wouldn't have made any comment on your stupid OCD thread that you specifically brought me into...I stayed the hell out of this mess.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Lady, I don't need to explain to you why I like something...thats nunya business and "likes" are very rarely mentioned by posters. You've mentioned me twice when I like someone elses comments in this thread.

Otherwise I wouldn't have made any comment on your stupid OCD thread that you specifically brought me into...so there.
Ray Liotta Laughing GIFs | Tenor
Ray Liotta GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I got somebody's panties in a bunch! You gonna cry next? Call me a woman again, or maybe a tranny this time around?

What Are We Going To Cry Now Cry Baby GIF - What Are We Going To Cry Now Cry  Baby Bully - Discover & Share GIFs

Here....I'll do us both a favor -- I'll put ya on ignore, which I should have done from the get go.

Knock yourself out with the personal insults.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
2011, have an HT-RC370 (believe same as the 709 at the time). I've not had any issues selecting a sound mode automatically between 2ch/multich tho.
Oh, okay...that was just a couple of years after my 605 in terms of generation.

When you say you haven't had any issues selecting a sound mode automatically between two channel and multichannel, are you referring to THAT RC370, or a new model? Because if you're referring to your old model, you shouldn't have had any "issues" being that the Listening Mode Preset menu would have taken care of all switching for you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, okay...that was just a couple of years after my 605 in terms of generation.

When you say you haven't had any issues selecting a sound mode automatically between two channel and multichannel, are you referring to THAT RC370, or a new model? Because if you're referring to your old model, you shouldn't have had any "issues" being that the Listening Mode Preset menu would have taken care of all switching for you.
Only Onkyo I've got. It even has Audyssey. I don't use the Listening Mode Preset tho, the last valid works fine for me.

J

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Only Onkyo I've got. It even has Audyssey. I don't use the Listening Mode Preset tho, the last valid works fine for me.
Oh, alright -- for some reason, I thought you were now running a Denon or newer Onk; hard to keep track of the conversation from the beginning!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, alright -- for some reason, I thought you were now running a Denon or newer Onk; hard to keep track of the conversation from the beginning!
I also have Denons, a 3808, a 4520 and a 4700. Plus an old pre-hdmi Sony. I have several systems....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis