Do You Miss Acoustic Suspension Speakers?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
From the horses mouth!!!
The suspension in acoustic suspension is the air in the box Comprende???
Cherry picking your quotes much? You missed this part right before what you're referencing:

"The cone of an Acoustic Suspension Speaker is mounted on very free suspension, so compliant that they are able to provide the elastic restoring force required in a speaker system."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh please, that's what the entire discussion has been about! Then after being wrong from the beginning and calling me ignorant you want to wiggle out of it! Who's the ignoramus?
I'm not changing my position, I still think you're being rather dense and wish to pervert the term because of your lack of understanding the distinction between an acoustic suspension design vs mere sealed box. Whether you or others misuse the term, that's up to you but it won't fly around here.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
And then you have this quote from a very well known speaker designer of today:

"I'm guessing they're not really acoustic suspension. A true AS woofer has an extremely floppy suspension and relies purely on the trapped air in the cabinet to damp the cone, with no help from the mechanical suspension. " From this thread that was linked earlier.

It's literally a combination of a sealed enclosure and a driver designed with a loose suspension (high compliance), not just a sealed enclosure that makes it an acoustic suspension system.

But you go ahead and keep on doubling (tripling? quadrupling? I don't even know at this point) down on it.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
But even someone who isn't a speaker designer like me knows that to have a true acoustic suspension speaker you need a highly compliant woofer, they appear noticeably floppy in my experience, so not just any "foam suspended paper driver" qualifies.

I came close to getting fired over those four letters a long time ago. I developed a new version of a database management product for a major software company in the 1980s. The database client passed back four character status codes to the application to signal the success or failure of the synchronous database function call. For one particularly egregious error I decided to return "RTFM". And wouldn't you know it, but a senior software engineer working for a large customer got that status code in the application he was working on. He called our customer service people and wanted to know what the RTFM status code meant, as it wasn't in the documentation. No one was amused. I didn't get fired, but boy did I get yelled at. I never did that again.
Those highly compliant suspensions were used by essentially all manufacturers then its called foam surrounded paper cone. RTFM is a little insulting but it does get the point across...don't make blanket statements if you haven't done your homework. I included concise simply explained references which you simply chose to ignore since they plainly showed that you were arguing for arguments sake! BTW it all started with a pleasant conversation about good ol speaker memories, you chose to degenerate it into a contest of speaker design fund of knowledge.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How do you have a science degree? You're picking and choosing parts of the details to suit your position and ignoring what doesn't fit. You're doubling down in the face of lots of information that points to a conclusion different from your own.

A quote from your favorite source:

"The cone of an Acoustic Suspension Speaker is mounted on very free suspension, so compliant that they are able to provide the elastic restoring force required in a speaker system."

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
How do you have a science degree? You're picking and choosing parts of the details to suit your position and ignoring what doesn't fit. You're doubling down in the face of lots of information that points to a conclusion different from your own.

A quote from your favorite source:
An acoustic speaker cabinet must be relatively small in order to provide the necessary air-spring (the enclosed air in a larger cabinet would not form a cushion springy enough to be effective).
Since this air-spring introduces less distortion than mechanical suspension, the small enclosure size is accompanied by increased rather than compromised reproducing quality, especially in the bass.
Today, owing mainly to Acoustic Research's introduction of the acoustic suspension design, the giant enclosure has almost passed from the scene, and speaker prices are a quarter of what they where
Are you sure you dont work for FOX news? You missed 85% of the article!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
An acoustic speaker cabinet must be relatively small in order to provide the necessary air-spring (the enclosed air in a larger cabinet would not form a cushion springy enough to be effective).
Since this air-spring introduces less distortion than mechanical suspension, the small enclosure size is accompanied by increased rather than compromised reproducing quality, especially in the bass.
Today, owing mainly to Acoustic Research's introduction of the acoustic suspension design, the giant enclosure has almost passed from the scene, and speaker prices are a quarter of what they where
Are you sure you dont work for FOX news? You missed 85% of the article!
I read and understood the whole article. You're missing the other part of the definition for what makes it an acoustic suspension design.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
BTW it all started with a pleasant conversation about good ol speaker memories, you chose to degenerate it into a contest of speaker design fund of knowledge.
It started with an article reviewed for accuracy by some people with a deep background in this topic, and you have adamantly stuck to and promoted your incorrect position. Has anyone else agreed with you?

What sort of medicine do you practice? Homeopathy?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe this will help. I'll explain it to you as if this was a medical situation. What you're doing is taking a list of symptoms like this:
  • Fever
  • Aches and pains, such as severe headache, muscle and joint pain, and abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Weakness and fatigue
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms including diarrhea and vomiting
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Unexplained hemorrhaging, bleeding or bruising

ignoring the bleeding and telling the person they have the flu instead of ebola. Sure, if you ignore the bleeding part, it all fits, but the bleeding is an integral part of the whole thing, you can't ignore it.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Maybe this will help. I'll explain it to you as if this was a medical situation. What you're doing is taking a list of symptoms like this:
  • Fever
  • Aches and pains, such as severe headache, muscle and joint pain, and abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Weakness and fatigue
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms including diarrhea and vomiting
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Unexplained hemorrhaging, bleeding or bruising

ignoring the bleeding and telling the person they have the flu instead of ebola. Sure, if you ignore the bleeding part, it all fits, but the bleeding is an integral part of the whole thing, you can't ignore it.
You are even more ignorant of medicine! Why do people with ebola bleed? Now there is tge relevant question! Lets see how you do!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I learned something today. I was also of the mindset that all sealed speakers were acoustic suspension but clearly I was wrong. In laymen's terms what sets the driver apart from an acoustic suspension to a sealed design? Is the bass roll off similar in acoustic suspension as it is a sealed design?

Because I didnt know any better, I would say no, I do not miss acoustic suspension speakers.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I learned something today. I was also of the mindset that all sealed speakers were acoustic suspension but clearly I was wrong. In laymen's terms what sets the driver apart from an acoustic suspension to a sealed design? Is the bass roll off similar in acoustic suspension as it is a sealed design?
I would say no.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Attributed to many, including Abe Lincoln and Mark Twain​

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain​

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Wisewo
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Attributed to many, including Abe Lincoln and Mark Twain​

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain​
Wise words indeed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis