Do You Miss Acoustic Suspension Speakers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Spartan
I wasn't aware people actually used bing...
Lmao! Yep. When they don’t get the answer they want from googletron.
Just like when people don’t get the answer here. They hit avs. :neener:

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
One of my favorite speakers ever were the Allison CD series. I remember my AR 38 and 58 very fondly. B&W and many subs are sealed acoustic suspension designs.
I still have Allison CD7 speaker. But I did not think it was an acoustic suspension speaker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
A sealed speaker is acoustic suspension! They have have been abandoned because ported designs have gotten much better and have for a long time not suffered from port "coloration". Ported designs offer better bass efficiency than acoustic suspension thus more db per square cm of driver. In essence they overcame the deficiencies they use to suffer from. As I pointed out previously they haven't disappeared at all, most subs still use today.
Not all non-ported speakers are acoustic suspension. Acoustic suspension needs to provide speakers restraining force from sealed air.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Again read the attached article on acoustic suspension. If the box doesnt have a port, aka vented, aka bass reflex, its by definition a "acoustic suspension" design. And you are correct it is not a very common speaker design anymore but for subs its still prevalent. Its also part of the reason that good subs almost invariably include very high power class D amps. The latest DB1D, for example, has a 2kw amp! BTW acoustic suspension predated AR. One of AR's founders, Vilchur came up with the design a couple of years before AR was founded by himself and Kloss
This is the question you need to ask to decide if the design is acoustic suspension. What provides the restoring force to the speaker cone? Is it from the air or the from the spider? If the answer is air or mostly air, it is acoustic suspension speaker driver. If it is from the spider, it may be a sealed speaker design but not acoustic suspension.

Many modern sub are sealed design but not acoustic suspension.

Latest posts

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis