Do You Miss Acoustic Suspension Speakers?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Edgar Betancourt – Read the Steve Feinstein article again.

All acoustic suspension enclosures are also sealed enclosures.
But not all sealed enclosures are acoustic suspension designs.

There is more to it than the mere absence of a port.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
They are all variations on the original principle. Closed enclosures with passive radiators can be considered a hybrid of ported and acoustic suspension design since its still a pressure vessel that dampens the excursion of the active cone while using some of that energy to produce lower octaves from the passive cone. Some also include the acoustic suspension into the infinite baffle category since the primary idea behind the "stuffed" sealed box was to eliminate the sound radiating from the cone's rearward travel. BTW there is still one company that makes mostly acoustic reflex speakers, Magico! Although it takes some "magic" to come up with the cash to buy a pair ;) If you look at the design closely, its an AR design built from space age materials.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
They are all variations on the original principle. Closed enclosures with passive radiators can be considered a hybrid of ported and acoustic suspension design since its still a pressure vessel that dampens the excursion of the active cone while using some of that energy to produce lower octaves from the passive cone. Some also include the acoustic suspension into the infinite baffle category since the primary idea behind the "stuffed" sealed box was to eliminate the sound radiating from the cone's rearward travel. BTW there is still one company that makes mostly acoustic reflex speakers, Magico! Although it takes some "magic" to come up with the cash to buy a pair ;) If you look at the design closely, its an AR design built from space age materials.
I'm impressed. It takes guts to be resolutely wrong, double-down on your gaff, and use your real name as your forum user name.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
I'm impressed. It takes guts to be resolutely wrong, double-down on your gaff, and use your real name as your forum user name.
Please enlighten us with your wisdom I have included multiple articles for reference. Please feel free to do the same. I use my name since I'm not afraid to own my BS you should try it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Research
I know they are just wikipedia but they are enough for us non engineers. If you need more info at least they are referenced.
Im just a fool with a magna cum laude in Science and a medical degree that has been collecting audio goodies for 40 years. What would I ever know.
Not much on this subject apparently.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They are all variations on the original principle…

BTW there is still one company that makes mostly acoustic reflex speakers, Magico! Although it takes some "magic" to come up with the cash to buy a pair ;) If you look at the design closely, its an AR design built from space age materials.
I agree with Irvrobinson.

Because of your comments, I spent a few minutes looking at Magico's speakers. For most of them, other than the absence of cabinet ports in the photos and diagrams, there is no mention at all of what design principle was used. I saw two possible exceptions:
Those were the only two speakers for which I could find any mention of the words, acoustic suspension, sealed cabinet, or compliance (as in low compliance of the woofer surround).

None of these examples support your idea that Magico makes acoustic suspension woofers, as per the design produced by Edgar Villchur.

I usually try to welcome newcomers to Audioholics. We can always use some company. In your case, my reaction is different… you are now eligible for the rarely given Double Facepalm award.

1580919218105.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, the earth is flat and gravity is a theory......:rolleyes:
Odd conclusion but then a lot of audiophiles aren't all that knowledgeable about audio either. I suggest you read more on the subject aside from advertising materials. You're just not getting the difference between an acoustic suspension type speaker (think driver) and a sealed enclosure.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Odd conclusion but then a lot of audiophiles aren't all that knowledgeable about audio either. I suggest you read more on the subject aside from advertising materials. You're just not getting the difference between an acoustic suspension type speaker (think driver) and a sealed enclosure.
Read the accoustic suspension article.....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
We all have. You say you have, but it seems you didn't' comprehend it all that well. The title of the article itself is "Sealed is not Acoustic Suspension in Loudspeakers" FFS

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Please enlighten us with your wisdom I have included multiple articles for reference. Please feel free to do the same. I use my name since I'm not afraid to own my BS you should try it.
One can misinterpret and misuse references, and you have. And I guess you'll have to trust me on this, but Irv Robinson is my real name.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
There isnt such a thing as an acoustic suspension driver its an enclosure architecture. AR drivers were simple foam suspended paper drivers that pretty much every manufacturer used during that time
The tweeters were silk dome ferrofluid cooled type again used by a myriad manufacturers of that time period. Please explain what an acoustic "suspension driver" is! I owned multiple pairs of ARs 38, 58 and LS9! I even rebuilt some of them! Acoustic suspension AS EXPLAINED IN THE ARTICLE is a sealed enclosure filled sound absorbant material that made entirely to extend low frequency performance! RTFM!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There isnt such a thing as an acoustic suspension driver its an enclosure architecture. AR drivers were simple foam suspended paper drivers that pretty much every manufacturer used during that time
The tweeters were silk dome ferrofluid cooled type again used by a myriad manufacturers of that time period. Please explain what an acoustic "suspension driver" is! I owned multiple pairs of ARs 38, 58 and LS9! I even rebuilt some of them! Acoustic suspension AS EXPLAINED IN THE ARTICLE is a sealed enclosure filled sound absorbant material that made entirely to extend low frequency performance! RTFM!
Did you read Feinstein's article?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try this discussion where a couple of speaker designers join in....https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2210218-acoustic-suspension-sealed-speakers-what-happened.html

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
There isnt such a thing as an acoustic suspension driver...
But even someone who isn't a speaker designer like me knows that to have a true acoustic suspension speaker you need a highly compliant woofer, they appear noticeably floppy in my experience, so not just any "foam suspended paper driver" qualifies.

I came close to getting fired over those four letters a long time ago. I developed a new version of a database management product for a major software company in the 1980s. The database client passed back four character status codes to the application to signal the success or failure of the synchronous database function call. For one particularly egregious error I decided to return "RTFM". And wouldn't you know it, but a senior software engineer working for a large customer got that status code in the application he was working on. He called our customer service people and wanted to know what the RTFM status code meant, as it wasn't in the documentation. No one was amused. I didn't get fired, but boy did I get yelled at. I never did that again.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Just because someone uses a term improperly doesn't define it. Think of all the subwoofers that label a mere low pass filter as a crossover....
Oh please, that's what the entire discussion has been about! Then after being wrong from the beginning and calling me ignorant you want to wiggle out of it! Who's the ignoramus?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis