DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I agree, but I also wonder, when AV123 was doing its best, was there enough to satisfy the obligations?
IMO, yes if there was proper fiscal responsibility.

I said...
Well, he was living high and mighty. Weeks or months in China and Russia on the stupidest of reasons that no one questioned. Bills that came due on all sorts of things. The amp(s) fiasco(s), Cali was stupid but sort of hard to walk away from if someone's going to float you net 30's and net 60's.
Why are you posting crap like this..
It speaks to matters concerning money and the ability of AV123 to meet its obligations.
Mac, most of the trips to my understanding were taken for extended periods of time. Weeks and months at a time. That's been stated as a matter of fact by MLS and has been corroborated by employees and close assosiates as well as business partners. Whether it's obvious or not, I'm stating that Mark in that respect essentially told the truth. Even with a place to stay and a car provided (not owned by MLS), that consumes significant money.
The amp thing, and that's not just the MFW's, were a fiasco and AV123 and/or Mark had to eat a signficant amount of monies as well as lost revenues across the entire product line. That's a matter of fact too.

I said...
Well, he was living high and mighty. Weeks or months in China and Russia on the stupidest of reasons that no one questioned.
What has this to do with anything about the charities or raffles..Do you have any right to question why the man was there...no..you don't...Do you know if he was there conducting other business..no..you don't...Why is it he has to check in with folks like you to do these things..?
AV123/MLS's problems are not solely limited to charities and raffles. Apart from what's owed, I posted the fact the raffles were illegal in Colorado with penalties that due to the amounts and frequencies are quite substantial. That's not me outright wondering and imagining things. You don't honestly think that's not going to play a role in a future that looms increasingly closer?

The larger picture is cash, cash flow, and other financial obligations. Gonk has mentioned that at least 72K is owed for the dead in the water RS-II project. To that you have the substantial store credits, coupons, refunds, undelivered but paid for product and certain employees/contractors who have not been compensated in a timely fashion. Don't forget to add the $100K Notice of Election and Demand he has on his primary residence.

Right to question? I have every right to question their frequency and duration as anyone. You have the right to not question them at all. Mac, I've worked for companies that by no stretch can be considered as small businesses and taken trips overseas. Month long trips? If his reasoning was as he has stated which was to oversee operations and bring American concepts of quality control, just how did that work out? Bum amps in more than one product line, poorly assembled speakers, people having to measure spacings in order to get the right grills, miswired crossovers, drivers that needed replacements, veneer issues, nail pops, etc. How successful were those trips? If anyone here went away for those periods of time for those stated reasons, they'd be fired for those results. When the president of the company comes back with those results, where does the buck stop? What does it tell anyone about how successful he is at implementing a quality product and a quality operation?

As to checking in with me? Nope he doesn't have to. He's the president. Care to give him a grade on how he did and is doing?

I wrote...
The amp(s) fiasco(s), Cali was stupid but sort of hard to walk away from if someone's going to float you net 30's and net 60's.
You state this as facts Chu...do you have the paper to back this up..or is this just another way of putting out numbers some some will take it as facts?
The amps for the MFW and other subs were a fiasco. You've read about it. As to Cali being stupid, consider that Cali and Santiago had no experience in the commericial production of wood based furniture products. I consider speakers to be a form of furniture. They were a business involved in things like metal and concrete. A CNC machine(s) came later and there was 0 years experience in its use. But you need this kind of stuff if you're going to crank out lots of something reproducibly and save on labor costs.
I'm going to assume that you don't know what something like a net 60 or 2% net 30 means. These are payment terms. In the first case it means you order a product and you get a bill. You've got 60 days from receipt to pay the bill in full. In the second case, you've got 30 days to pay the bill in full and if you pay within 15 days, you get a 2% discount. There are of course variations on this. If you pay late, you've got to pay an additional percentage more and that goes up as the time increases in pre-defined increments. So, there are incentives and penalties. The upshot is that when you can strike terms like this you can improve your cash flow. Mark had such favorable terms (fact) with Cali. It's common in business. The utter willingness of someone to provide space, workers, equipment, take care of the boxing and shipping, pay the salaries, and everything else including favorable terms was a compelling reason to go with Cali.
I say Cali was a mistake. Rejects were high. A lot of B & C product came in. There were the documented issues with cement dust contaminating the speaker area. There was the documented issue of a screw up by one of Santiago's relatives when it came to incorrectly determining the cost of goods. Mark was selling speakers at a loss! There were the documented issues of the wrong kind of glue being used. They allegedly wound up trashing all the RS-II prototypes they made because they were defective. This sounds like it wasn't a mistake?

I said...
I know I don't have all the numbers, the profit margins, and all that.
No kidding...then why are you trying state things as facts then...I am just trying to figure anything why this is important or pertinent with regards to any of this..
I didn't state them as to the penny facts, Mac. I'm coming up with what I consider reasonable estimates of current sales. We all know Mark exaggerates. Curtis said he's been told take what Mark tells you and cut it in half. From what I see, it's more like 1/3. We all know there haven't been many shipments. Mark has said so himself. We all know sales are in the shitter. He's laid off or fired sales people. He basically has cut any advertising to zero. Can't find an AV123 ad except maybe on The Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

It's said the relationship between what it costs to make a speaker and get it out the door compared to what it sells is maybe 1:4, 1:5. Maybe Mark makes them for even less. Let's be really generous and say 1:8. That'd be remarkable. So, if he's selling $500,000 now, it's costing him a little over $60K. He's got to pay things like the lease or rent on the building, utilities, commissions, health care, local/state/federal taxes, salaries for himself & Suzanne (she's the VP after all), put cash aside for operating expenses and to fund new purchases of product, insurance, etc.

Yet you say why is all that relevent to the issue at hand which you state are largely raffles/charities (I say there's far more)? Mac. Do some ballpark math. Start subtracting from that very generous $500,000 in sales and very favorable cost to sell a product. What's left? There's a reason why Mark is incredibly vague and evasive.

I said...
But even if I crank them favorably (very large profit margins), I just don't see enough money to satisfy the obligations in a timely manner
See above...you admit you don't know..but you still try to make assumptions and estimates..You can't...you can only guess..

This is the type of crap that is pure BS...Sure..I can see how it might entertain some here..but I can also see how it is slanting everything against the man as well..This may give you credibility with those that hate and despise Mark for the things he's done..but not in my book..nor in many others eyes

If you have facts Chu..post them..Don't post conjecture..or BS just to slant things as you have in the past and how you are currently doing..This is my opinion of what I see you doing..and why..

I know this won't set well with many here Chu...and I am sorry if it offends anyone..but..this type of stuff needs to have a disclaimer on it..

Django1...why should folks step up and defend Mark here..? Most folks don't want to get raked over the coals..that's why..
Mac, I'm making some very kind and generous assumptions. The monies he needs aren't there. There's no BS. The conjecture I think is reasonable. There's no slant. As to a disclaimer, I've already said my amounts were estimates. Call them guesses if you will. I sure as hell don't see anything to indicate vigorous sales.

As to other matters, Mac, with all due respect, get off your *** and make some private inquiries on your own and see what you're told. Evaluate accordingly.

G

GOSU1

Enthusiast
Django1...why should folks step up and defend Mark here..? Most folks don't want to get raked over the coals..that's why..
I was one of many customers who was attacked by Mac11700 and his merry band of Schifter henchmen when I dared to complain on the AV123 Forum about MLS' business practices. Maybe Karma does exist.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Since I do not practice criminal law in the US, I have no idea. It is most certainly immoral.
Jeez, Louise, Fred. Did you read what I wrote on who or what is able to run a raffle legally in the state of Colorado?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I was one of many customers who was attacked by Mac11700 and his merry band of Schifter henchmen when I dared to complain on the AV123 Forum about MLS' business practices. Maybe Karma does exist.
Mac, to me, has somewhat different opinions now. That may not excuse past actions, but it seems to me Mac has moved to a somewhat different position now and while I don't know the man, it seems pretty genuine.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
The crazy thing is that "fully funding"' the raffles still doesn't seem to be priority 1. I'd be doing whatever I could to at least be able to say that NOW everyone has been paid what is owed to them. Mistakes were made, but they have been rectified. Try to get that smoking gun off the table.
This is what boggles my mind, too. It should be pretty obvious at this point that stealing money from the raffles has alienated a number of former supporters. It is also an egregious enough act that even any remaining supporters can't offer anything to help him out. The facts are too damning. About the best they can do is suggest that it's limited to two or three recipients (not two raffles, as Mark tries to suggest, since that's clearly not true). That requires believing Mark, though, which has gotten hard to do.
It makes you wonder if maybe there are bigger issues that we don't even know about, or if mls is so delusional that he believes his own BS.
Even if there are bigger issues, they aren't public knowledge. For someone who seems to have such a knack for marketing, you'd think he'd put a priority to fixing one of the worst PR problems he has. After all this time, though, it seems clear that is simply not the case. If it were, he wouldn't be paying to have prototype LS-4 cabinets built.

S

stevo238

Banned
Unless you were his accountant or his executive assistant, how would you have, or get, this information?

That is entirely possible.

Yup, but whether or not it was deliberate scamming, mis-management, or both, is pure speculation.
With respect Fred, tell us something we don't already know. When a guy like MLS is not entirely truthful, it's perfectly appropriate to speculate about the obvious mismanagement of his business, the obvious theft (no speculation there) of raffles, and the obvious taking of monies (no speculation there) for products not yet delivered. Speculation like muckraking is good. It hopefully gets you to the bottom of things.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Why are you posting crap like this..

What has this to do with anything about the charities or raffles..Do you have any right to question why the man was there...no..you don't...Do you know if he was there conducting other business..no..you don't...Why is it he has to check in with folks like you to do these things..?

You state this as facts Chu...do you have the paper to back this up..or is this just another way of putting out numbers some some will take it as facts?

No kidding...then why are you trying state things as facts then...I am just trying to figure anything why this is important or pertinent with regards to any of this..

See above...you admit you don't know..but you still try to make assumptions and estimates..You can't...you can only guess..

This is the type of crap that is pure BS...Sure..I can see how it might entertain some here..but I can also see how it is slanting everything against the man as well..This may give you credibility with those that hate and despise Mark for the things he's done..but not in my book..nor in many others eyes

If you have facts Chu..post them..Don't post conjecture..or BS just to slant things as you have in the past and how you are currently doing..This is my opinion of what I see you doing..and why..

I know this won't set well with many here Chu...and I am sorry if it offends anyone..but..this type of stuff needs to have a disclaimer on it..

Curtis...do you honestly believe there wasn't enough money to stay afloat all these years..that they still would be in business?

Mac
Mac,

Have you taken this up off line with Chu. It seems you are mad at everyone and feel guilty about cussing MLS out. Not sure why, everyone needs a good cussing every now and then.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I didn't state them as to the penny facts, Mac. I'm coming up with what I consider reasonable estimates of current sales. We all know Mark exaggerates. Curtis said he's been told take what Mark tells you and cut it in half. From what I see, it's more like 1/3. We all know there haven't been many shipments. Mark has said so himself. We all know sales are in the shitter. He's laid off or fired sales people. He basically has cut any advertising to zero. Can't find an AV123 ad except maybe on The Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

It's said the relationship between what it costs to make a speaker and get it out the door compared to what it sells is maybe 1:4, 1:5. Maybe Mark makes them for even less. Let's be really generous and say 1:8. That'd be remarkable. So, if he's selling $500,000 now, it's costing him a little over $60K. He's got to pay things like the lease or rent on the building, utilities, commissions, health care, local/state/federal taxes, salaries for himself & Suzanne (she's the VP after all), put cash aside for operating expenses and to fund new purchases of product, insurance, etc.

Yet you say why is all that relevent to the issue at hand which you state are largely raffles/charities (I say there's far more)? Mac. Do some ballpark math. Start subtracting from that very generous $500,000 in sales and very favorable cost to sell a product. What's left? There's a reason why Mark is incredibly vague and evasive.

Mac, I'm making some very kind and generous assumptions. The monies he needs aren't there. There's no BS. The conjecture I think is reasonable. There's no slant. As to a disclaimer, I've already said my amounts were estimates. Call them guesses if you will. I sure as hell don't see anything to indicate vigorous sales.
So, if AV123 is on the way out, am I sittting on some collector's items, or is the reputation of the company heading so far south that all of this gear will soon be extremely devalued? I don't mean to jump to conclusions here, but none of this is looking good at all. It is truly sad. Any opinions on this? :confused:

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
just a quick side note...

Since I have been vocal on the subject(and others) at hand here and other forums, it had been brought up that I may be viewed as representative of Ascend Acoustics because of being a volunteer moderator for their forum.

After some thought, I have asked Dave Fabrikant to remove me as a moderator.

My opnions on this matter, and others, have always been entirely my own.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
So, if AV123 is on the way out, am I sittting on some collector's items, or is the reputation of the company heading so far south that all of this gear will soon be extremely devalued? I don't mean to jump to conclusions here, but none of this is looking good at all. It is truly sad. Any opinions on this? :confused:
One problem that AV123 products have always had is devaluation in the used marketplace because of their frequent and often very low sale prices. The Rockets have been particularly susceptible to this, but I think the Minis also encountered it. If the company were to close, I doubt you'd see an increase in value on the used market.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
MLS should start a raffle with the explicit purpose of saving his financial hide.

M

Mac11700

Junior Audioholic
AV123/MLS's problems are not solely limited to charities and raffles. Apart from what's owed, I posted the fact the raffles were illegal in Colorado with penalties that due to the amounts and frequencies are quite substantial. That's not me outright wondering and imagining things. You don't honestly think that's not going to play a role in a future that looms increasingly closer?
Are you a attorney..or a sitting judge in the state of Colorado? I think not..It is not up to you to interpret what is legal and what isn't then past judgment on the man..Wither it plays out in a court of law is not up to you or anyone else here..so..will it play a role..Your only answer is a guess..

The larger picture is cash, cash flow, and other financial obligations. Gonk has mentioned that at least 72K is owed for the dead in the water RS-II project.
From my understanding on this..this was a joint venture with Mark and others..Why is that not mentioned by you..? While Mark was the face of it and the funds went to him for Act3..it wasn't entirely his project now was it..

To that you have the substantial store credits, coupons, refunds, undelivered but paid for product and certain employees/contractors who have not been compensated in a timely fashion.
Ok...since you have no clue what their cost are..how can this be factored in in any worthwhile way..?

Don't forget to add the $100K Notice of Election and Demand he has on his primary residence.
How can we forget this little tibit you continue to share here..How nice of you in your zeal to prove you point you take it to this level again.BTW...what happened to your other post when you drug this into the discussion?

Right to question? I have every right to question their frequency and duration as anyone.
Right to question...sure you do..but..where do you have the right to invade someones privacy and post crap like this..? It's not the first time you have done this..and had a post removed..is it..

I've worked for companies that by no stretch can be considered as small businesses and taken trips overseas. Month long trips? If his reasoning was as he has stated which was to oversee operations and bring American concepts of quality control, just how did that work out? Bum amps in more than one product line, poorly assembled speakers, people having to measure spacings in order to get the right grills, miswired crossovers, drivers that needed replacements, veneer issues, nail pops, etc. How successful were those trips? If anyone here went away for those periods of time for those stated reasons, they'd be fired for those results. When the president of the company comes back with those results, where does the buck stop? What does it tell anyone about how successful he is at implementing a quality product and a quality operation?
I really don't care where you have worked...that isn't relevant to Mark..? Your quantifying your experiences to be the norm for everyone...Damn Chu..you sure do think highly of yourself..buisness 101 according to Chu...wow..BTW...how many start up companies have you developed and brought on line in a 3rd world country ? You really don't think that there are not going to be issues some small some large along the way? Bum amps in some..yes..that is going to happen especially when counterfeit parts are substituted..or design specs are changed..This is why they are trying to do these here in the states..not there..Same for some of the cabinets as well..It's all been chronicled over there..

The amps for the MFW and other subs were a fiasco. You've read about it. As to Cali being stupid, consider that Cali and Santiago had no experience in the commericial production of wood based furniture products. I consider speakers to be a form of furniture. They were a business involved in things like metal and concrete. A CNC machine(s) came later and there was 0 years experience in its use. But you need this kind of stuff if you're going to crank out lots of something reproducibly and save on labor costs.
Really...ok...I'll ask you again...How many start up companies have you built anywhere..let alone in a 3rd world country to base anything you have said about it on?

I'm going to assume that you don't know what something like a net 60 or 2% net 30 means.
Do you know what happens when you assume anything with out having all the facts...? I think you already know the answer to this..so I'll save you that embarrassment..I asked you before..You state this as facts Chu...do you have the paper to back this up..or is this just another way of putting out numbers some some will take it as facts? In other words..unless you are in a position to have had eyes on any contracts..you are blowing sunshine up peoples butt here with you comments about this..Fact is..you don't know what terms they were given..

The fact is..you are deliberately trying to mislead people with your facts & figures..You say you are quoting reasonable estimates..How can you...how the hell can you do this without having all of the figures..Fact is..you can't..because you don't know..You haven't the foggiest idea of how much volume they have done unless you are looking at their books..period.You say sales are in the shitter...Again...have you seen their books? Mark himself told me otherwise...Now..as much as it will pain you and others..I tend to believe the CEO of the company over wild speculation of people who really dislike a company..Guess I'm kind of funny that way..This isn't saying I am a blind fool..and can't see past that..but...as a whole for me..it is the way I am..As to lay offs or firing staff...employees come and go in any business..are you privy to every aspect with every employee there..?What transpired with one..doesn't mean it is the same with the others..Wow...he has cut back on advertising.. So what..that he has cut his advertisement expenditures....big deal..Mark has been the first to say they are cutting back..Hell..I can name you over 100 companies that is cutting advertising expenditures..Again...how many companies do you run that isn't doing this in today's economy ?

Now..with respect to Curtis..Who in the company told him to do this..with regards to the numbers? Mark..Kyle..Lynn..Jess Luis.. Sean..? Was it an employee or is this just more speculation..? You state the figure at 1/3...this wasn't a guess on your part..but what "you see"...tell me and everyone else...What documents are you looking at to arrive at this figure..? The fact is..it is just another guess you are trying to make as the real figure to fit you assumptions to all the rest..

Your saying your giving very generous assumptions..I say..you really don't know what your talking about..You've made your post using second/third/fourth hand information and did all of your calculations with out having any real data..You've invaded the mans privacy and posted personal information of his with out regard to what your doing or his permission..You've alluded even marriage misconduct by him..in a post that was deleted here..I'm sorry...this doesn't sound like just wanting to inform folks about the pitfalls of buying speakers from the company..but a personal vendetta on your part..

Randy..
FWIW..no..I'm not mad at everyone here..There are some real legitimate issues being discussed..People do have a right to be pissed off about Mark..hell..I'm still pissed off at him..but..BS is BS..and Chu has been spreading his like a cow rich farmer..and acting and saying the crap he has need to be questioned as well...Facts are facts..and Mark does have a lot of owning up to do with out a doubt....but shouldn't the playing field be level for this to happen..

Sorry for the rant..

Mac

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Facts are facts..and Mark does have a lot of owning up to do with out a doubt....but shouldn't the playing field be level for this to happen..
I think that is a good question. How do you propose this? Doesn't it take equal participation from both parties?

If one party refuses to answer questions, how can the field ever be level?

M

Mac11700

Junior Audioholic
I think that is a good question. How do you propose this? Doesn't it take equal participation from both parties?

If one party refuses to answer questions, how can the field ever be level?
Curtis you are right..it takes both sides to do this..it can't be any other way..

How do I propose it is done..simple really..do it like Gonk and the rest is doing it over there..No BS..No speculation..No guessing facts and figures..but just simple straight forward questions..This is what is needed to be done..otherwise..it looks like a lynch mob mentality is calling the shots..and no one is going to walk freely into that..

Mac

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
"...Our factory there has just released the 1st of several (read many!!!) planned containers over the next 3 months with both A and B Stock product in virtually all models, finishes and flavors. Uniaudio (our factory name in Cali, Colombia for those of you that don’t know) produces the product that makes our competitors squirm – much to the delight of our team here and to all of our more than 15,000 customers in North America…"
~From "av123 does the impossible" sales flyer on 4/5/09

"...
No one can deny that the Rocket RS850 as Mains coupled to the RSC200 Bigfoot Center Channel and the lovely RS450’s as Surrounds creates the kind of system synergy that’s hard to beat at anywhere near the price. This system at $1699 rivals the best that our estimable competitors can throw at us (or you for that matter) at even 3 or 4X the price… We’ve been proving that over and over for the last 10 years… Rockets Rock
..."
~From "Can't touch this" sales flyer on 4/28/09

"We have well over 17,000 very satisfied customers that enjoy their relationship with av123 - it's people, products and programs... I have asked before to simply be allowed to deliver on our promises (collectively - and singularly) and let that speak for us (or me)..."
~From MLS' reply to Gonks thread.

Something that sticks out to me is that in the 10 years MLS discussed they had amassed ~15,000 customers, in the last five months MLS states they have gained 2,000 more for a customer base of ~17,000. That is roughly a 13.3% increase in customer base over five months on an established base, in a very tough economy while av123's forum was down and many threads and posts of criticism were created on multiple high profile forums.

This make me wonder:

a) Perhaps av123 has been immune to the criticism and has been flying high, in which case I don't understand why refunds/restitution of raffles, etc would be an issue. This would also mean that those that have stated negative posts and/or threads are harming the company have been incorrect,

b) the margins are very low so the company is having issues creating a healthy bottom line where they are selling in very large volume in order to maintain their operating cost,

or

c) the numbers presented are incorrect.

Of course, other options that I have not foreseen could exist, but with a large growth in "very satisfied customers" such as MLS has stated I don't see how these remaining issues have been so undo-able for so long for av123.

Also, per one of my Business law professor's at CU the statute that Chu presented regarding raffles is correct. The individual I verified this with is in fact an attorney in Colorado as well as a professor of law, so I take his opinion rather highly. One additional note, while posting public information about an unfortunate issue in someones life may be distasteful to some, it is not an invasion of privacy as the information was already part of the public record. Perhaps before legal claims such as defamation, violation of privacy laws, etc are bandied about verification should be pursued by all parties.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Curtis you are right..it takes both sides to do this..it can't be any other way..

How do I propose it is done..simple really..do it like Gonk and the rest is doing it over there..No BS..No speculation..No guessing facts and figures..but just simple straight forward questions..This is what is needed to be done..otherwise..it looks like a lynch mob mentality is calling the shots..and no one is going to walk freely into that..

Mac
Now tell me what has this accomplished. He is just dancing around the issues and saying the company must move forward. He sort of plays the victim in his repsones which I still don't get.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief

Mac
I love what Gonk is doing there, but I am sure you realize that it is also not a level field as well. That is MLS's home turf, and Gonk has had to be very careful on the wording, and as the title states "Open for Interpretation"....and who's interpretation matters most there?

On top of that, MLS has not posted in the thread for two days.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic

Mac
Many simple and straightforward questions have been asked and ignored on av123 and AVS forums Mac. Sure some vague answers with nothing to back them up have been proffered, so what? One of the baseline questions and concerns that have run through this and many of the other threads is regarding MLS's honesty and trustworthiness. Without any evidence to back up his claims, why would anyone believe him? Friendships not withstanding, his word has not proven to be worth much over the last couple of years.

Professionals in the industry are even sharing issues with av123 and the CEO's honesty and trustworthiness. Jerry Del Colliano had the very public statement "AV123.com is run by a man who stiffed me for a $40,000 ad contract when I ran AVRev.com. He knows what he did. He hires his "shils" all over the net and best of luck to him. Most savvy net buyers know this." on his website just to throw one out off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis