DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papajin

Papajin

Audiophyte
One never knows what films will be released and who will star in them.
Who would star as MLS? Jack Black?

(Dammit! I was going to post the email they sent out to the mailing list today as a link or attachment but I don't have 5 posts yet. Bah!)

N

neuronbob

Audiophyte
I just went to the forum to check on one of my classifieds. Found the message quoted a couple of pages ago. I thought, "WTF"?...then came here as I was sure to find the story behind it.

I guess the forum (and likely the company) is really done then. I can't say I'm surprised given recent events. I feel a little awkward that my seven years of history on that site are going to be nuked.

I really miss the community we had over there. Still trying to find a new audio forum home other than AVS (blech)....likely here.

Thanks guys, for the memories!

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
So how does that make you feel Dane? That your history there is being erased? All your memories just thrown away at a whim. Just like that... gone. Makes you feel the love.
Well at least I have saved off copies of my most important threads... photo threads, my back surgery, family events, etc.. They're not "organized" in any way (just File->SaveAs->Complete from Firefox), but at least they have all the posts and photos.. Now I at least have a reason to go organize them into readable PDFs.. :rolleyes:

I'm glad Dane's research into UFW/ULW-10 replacement amps exists in threads on other forums now that AV123 has shut everything down.
Me too.. I'm glad I thought to make a secondary copy for my archives.. If the site opens back up, I'll re-post those instructions because I think there are probably other UFW-10 owners out there that may go looking for that info one day...

And Sean had already archived off my RS750 Ninja Master XO upgrade over on his site..

Because I love my MFW so much, a small part of me wants this company to succeed, to develop affordable audiophile quality products. But I think I need to stop the wishful thinking, and search for an alternate source. Maybe I should start building DIY speakers.
I'm with you on that part-- I have enjoyed my Rocket setup for 6+ years now.. And their UFW-10 is a great little tight sub (with a reliable amp). With the Dayton SA240 on sale for $110 now, with a $100 cabinet and driver from AV123 clearance, it makes for a great little under-$250 sub..

+1

I'm definitely going to miss all the SP3 threads - a lot of very useful tube rolling & biasing info is gone.

Jim C
There was a SP3 wiki wasn't there? Ah yes...

http://onix.pbworks.com/SP3

Not all the tube rolling info you wanted, but at least that Wiki does have biasing instructions for the SP3...

cheers,
..dane

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
The funny thing is even that it says he resigned as president, but by that same letter it seems he will be still involved in product development for the company. I am interested to see the better business bureau update on their reliability report.
TADG needs somebody to justify its existence, right? Besides, the alternative is to say, "I need to shed my day-to-day business obligations because I may shortly be relocating to a state prison for stealing from my customers." That would be far to honest and nowhere near exciting enough for an MLS-written announcement.

Where did that quote come from? That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Kudos to the author!
Oh, I made that up - but I'm sure that is what they meant to say. Glad you liked it!

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
All I can say about the recent events is that if I were a decendant of Eleanor Roosevelt I would have my attorneys take all possible actions to remove her quote from that pitiful web site.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'm with you on that part-- I have enjoyed my Rocket setup for 6+ years now.. And their UFW-10 is a great little tight sub (with a reliable amp). With the Dayton SA240 on sale for $110 now, with a $100 cabinet and driver from AV123 clearance, it makes for a great little under-$250 sub..
Why would you want to see a company that has known to defraud its customers on multiple levels - be it on products, refunds and a raffle scam continue to succeed?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
TADG needs somebody to justify its existence, right? Besides, the alternative is to say, "I need to shed my day-to-day business obligations because I may shortly be relocating to a state prison for stealing from my customers." That would be far to honest and nowhere near exciting enough for an MLS-written announcement.
You know what's funny about this, gonk? If he's in prison, and someone takes him to court, they just might have to cuff him and put him in a sheriff's squad car to make his court appointment. One area that MLS screwed up was that any assets he has, his wife also has. Joint custody and all. So, whatever he's liable for, she is too.

Oh, I made that up - but I'm sure that is what they meant to say. Glad you liked it!
You should write movie scripts. :D

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
I wonder what Eleanor Roosevelts thinks about business's that defraud customers and undermine legitimate charities? I guess she would call that an evil mind. What a bunch of corrupt folks over there. Really shameful stuff. I don't know how you folks at 451 look yourselves in the mirror in the morning.
All I can say about the recent events is that if I were a decendant of Eleanor Roosevelt I would have my attorneys take all possible actions to remove her quote from that pitiful web site.
Yeah, I was surprised by that choice. I figured Gandhi, Christ or MLK would have fit the bill much better for their level of Martyrdom.

G

GOSU1

Enthusiast
Up until recently, Schifty's strategy was to keep his cost of goods sold lower than his competitors, in part by manufacturing in China and Columbia where labor costs are cheap. His impending incarceration may prove to be the catalyst for an even a cheaper source of labor that can be found right here in the good old U.S. of A.: prison labor. His fellow convicts might not be any good at building speakers (that has never stopped Schifty before) but they have a lot of experience in manufacturing the small license (name) plates that could be attached to the back of the speakers.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
OK, Manuel. A little more steam here. We need to get that trademark veneer splitting.

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
I think it would be a nice touch if all new members of av123 forum (if it ever comes back up) got a welcome PM with the original BBB entry for av321 attached :) ...and or the news article of bumbly's arrest.

Last edited:
Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
So Mark resigned from the position of President and is now the Head Designer & acting President? :p Ooooh... Some big change there. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what title you put under his name. He's still the same clown at the same circus under the same tent with the same bag of trick and same sales pitch. Maybe they changed rings and changed the signs out front a little, but the stench oozing from the tent is just as foul.

Last edited:
washburn

washburn

Audioholic
They can't even get the descriptions right on the Rocket G2 stuff:

"...Drivers: One 6" Nomex cone balance drive woofer and one 30mm treated textile triple chamber dome woofer...."

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe he's an honorary President. Or maybe he's El Presidente. Could be a President Emeritus. Or maybe he's an indicted sitting President. He can call himself anything he wants. I'm sure it's spelled out in the company's charter. :rolleyes:

R

rotorooter

Audioholic Intern
I'd say most of the words at the av123 site are Shifter's but it's not his writing. He would have used a "u" in endeavo(u)r. And to invoke the name of Eleanor Roosevelt, well, Schifter couldn't shine her ideals let alone her high heels, though I dare say he would probably try to get into them. Yes, he's that much of the consummate s_um bag.

As always after reading the platitudes, you walk away from it feeling like you need a bath because you've been conned again. Maybe Schifter and company are shooting for the small boutique speaker company thing. I think that would be something new for him, I don't think he's tried that con yet. But with prices like that with the G2 series, they better be darn good. Can't be having sales like the old days.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
Up until recently, Schifty's strategy was to keep his cost of goods sold lower than his competitors, in part by manufacturing in China and Columbia where labor costs are cheap.
From what I understand, there are countless companies that manufacture in China and other low labor cost environments in order to keep COGS low. It seems Mark was able to take it to a whole new level with his patented "Zero Cost Manufacturing". ZCM is a system where you order lots of gear from China, sell it in the US, and then simply ignore the bill from China.

A

Andytoo

Audiophyte
Dear Friends:

Effective immediately, I have been asked to step down as President of AV123.

My family and I have decided that it's best if I step back from my Administrative role with AV123 and concentrate my complete efforts on my defense. This break will allow me to better focus on the issues before me now, my defense, and in doing so bring about positive change for AV123, my imprisonment.

I am stepping back in order to "step up" in several areas, wood shop and laundry. I'm fullyYou'll see the confirmation of that in our new efforts to CONnect with you in the days and weeks to come.

Mark L. Schifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis