DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
What new management? ;) :)
They sent out a email announcing their new G2 Rocket speakers, but now there is no forum to find out what's new about them or to discuss them. The webpage is full of TBD's, and no indication of whether they are in stock. The pictures look the same as the old Rockets.

Seems like the new management isn't making any better decisions than the old management, unless customer confusion is the goal.

Because I love my MFW so much, a small part of me wants this company to succeed, to develop affordable audiophile quality products. But I think I need to stop the wishful thinking, and search for an alternate source. Maybe I should start building DIY speakers.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.av123.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=153

"To place your order, Click Here! G2 ready for shipment at the end of July."

Obviously, they've made so many changes - this is like a whole new AV123.

Jim C
Well, if Mark winds up in prison for a spell, which just might happen towards the end of July, he can't very well have internet access. Now, I wonder, just who are these artisans in Colorado so dumb as to do business with him?

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
Well, if Mark winds up in prison for a spell, which just might happen towards the end of July, he can't very well have internet access. Now, I wonder, just who are these artisans in Colorado so dumb as to do business with him?
Well if Danny Richie had anything to do with these new speakers as they claim, that is a good thing right?

Personally I don't believe their July shipment date at all. I hope to be proven wrong, but I don't see tons of people lining up to buy these. We will start seeing reports trickle in either way eventually.
I don't know, do you guys feel the trade in prices are fair? I don't like the sixty day thing. Sixty days from today? That requires people taking the plunge and hoping these new Rockets are good.

B

bunnyma357

Audioholic Intern
I don't know, do you guys feel the trade in prices are fair? I don't like the sixty day thing. Sixty days from today? That requires people taking the plunge and hoping these new Rockets are good.
This seems as fair as the discounts offered to people who ordered the RSLII, or the coupons for the BMF, or.....

Jim C

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Well if Danny Richie had anything to do with these new speakers as they claim, that is a good thing right?
Not if they are going to cheap out on parts specs or skip QA and allow manufacturing defects to reach the consumer. After all, Mark Seaton designed the MFW15 - but he had no control over how they were actually manufactured. That didn't turn out so well...

Personally I don't believe their July shipment date at all. I hope to be proven wrong, but I don't see tons of people lining up to buy these. We will start seeing reports trickle in either way eventually.
If they were to hit that date, it would be the first such date they've met in recent memory. Considering their current reputation and the prices of these, I doubt they're going to get a lot of interest.

I suspect the 60-day window starts when they have their first shipment on site, but it's not clear. And of course they want people to take the plunge and simply trust that the new speakers are good - they want to sell as many of these as possible as quickly as possible. They need the money to stay in business, and I think we all can guess what the company's cash reserves look like right now.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder what Eleanor Roosevelts thinks about business's that defraud customers and undermine legitimate charities? I guess she would call that an evil mind. What a bunch of corrupt folks over there. Really shameful stuff. I don't know how you folks at 451 look yourselves in the mirror in the morning.

S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
Fair is simply what the two parties agree to. Deliveries, availability, and track record aside, I don't think that you would financially come out on top. Let's say you paid $1,000 for a pair of 850's within the past year or two. You get $500 credit, but you have to send your old speakers back to them (say $100 minimum). So you really only get $400. Could you sell a pair of 850's in good condition for $400? Probably....

B

bunnyma357

Audioholic Intern
I wonder what Eleanor Roosevelts thinks about business's that defraud customers and undermine legitimate charities? I guess she would call that an evil mind. What a bunch of corrupt folks over there. Really shameful stuff. I don't know how you folks at 451 look yourselves in the mirror in the morning.
Sure, bring up events & people - obviously you have a small average mind.

Jim C

V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
Fair is simply what the two parties agree to. Deliveries, availability, and track record aside, I don't think that you would financially come out on top. Let's say you paid $1,000 for a pair of 850's within the past year or two. You get $500 credit, but you have to send your old speakers back to them (say $100 minimum). So you really only get $400. Could you sell a pair of 850's in good condition for $400? Probably....
Yeah good point. I do have the advantage though of delivering my old rockets up to Longmont myself since I live in Colorado. I just won't take that plunge right now, at least not until reports start coming in. I admit I am a little interested in these new speakers, but if I only have sixty days to decide, well I will stick with what I have.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
it's funny, even though he supposedly resigned a few weeks ago, that whole thing is written is Schifty speak.
The funny thing is even that it says he resigned as president, but by that same letter it seems he will be still involved in product development for the company. I am interested to see the better business bureau update on their reliability report.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
With respect to manufacturing finished product, and that includes the crew at Longmont, the history is one of general incompetence and cost cutting that has come to bite both the consumer and AV451. Until such time as you hear from him directly by written word as to what his exact and specific involvement is, I would discount anything they say. They're famous for dropping names and shortly thereafter, dropping the ball. If you're hell bent on ID brands, and that's fine, there are some out there that have far superior track records, stock replacement parts, have intelligent and skilled designers, contract with modern factories that actually bring economies of scale to bear, and deal with generally superior suppliers.

I'd look to sell my existing speakers on the open market and not have to rely upon shipping them. You know they'll find something wrong and inform you that they'll be sending them back at your cost. Unless you're willing to accept less that is. Really now. How many times do you have to keep going back to the same hooker and have to get treated for the same STD's? Eventually, you'll get burned forever.

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
Originally Posted by what AV123 Forum meant to say
Our president's years of criminal and unethical behavior have combined with our dreadful mis-management of the company itself to leave us with a largely-empty warehouse, almost no manufacturing partners or potential partners who will return our calls, a string of design consultants who will only call to discuss unpaid design fees, and a customer base that keeps asking really difficult questions like "how is the president's felony indictment going?" and "where are the products you've promised were coming any day now?" and "why do your sub amps keep failing?" and "where's my refund?" Since we don't have good answers to those questions, we're going to stick our fingers in our ears and push this big "DELETE" button so it all goes away. La-la-la-la-la I can't hear you!
Where did that quote come from? That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Kudos to the author!

V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
With respect to manufacturing finished product, and that includes the crew at Longmont, the history is one of general incompetence and cost cutting that has come to bite both the consumer and AV451. Until such time as you hear from him directly by written word as to what his exact and specific involvement is, I would discount anything they say. They're famous for dropping names and shortly thereafter, dropping the ball. If you're hell bent on ID brands, and that's fine, there are some out there that have far superior track records, stock replacement parts, have intelligent and skilled designers, contract with modern factories that actually bring economies of scale to bear, and deal with generally superior suppliers.

I'd look to sell my existing speakers on the open market and not have to rely upon shipping them. You know they'll find something wrong and inform you that they'll be sending them back at your cost. Unless you're willing to accept less that is. Really now. How many times do you have to keep going back to the same hooker and have to get treated for the same STD's? Eventually, you'll get burned forever.

Yeah, excellent point Chu. I haven't fallen for their bait again, but I was interested in what their trade in deals would be. Since I live in CO, I wouldn't have to have anything shipped, I could save a good amount of money. I really don't know if Danny has said anything yet about this new line, but I also haven't searched. Still as you said, it is entirely fair to discount anything they say. Shifty is still involved with the company from what they released, so that is enough for me not to support them.
I am not really hell bent on ID brands, I am just hell bent on good gear at resonable prices.

there are some out there that have far superior track records, stock replacement parts, have intelligent and skilled designers, contract with modern factories that actually bring economies of scale to bear, and deal with generally superior suppliers.
What speaker ID brands would you say fall in the categories you described?

Haha, that hooker metaphor was great. Hilarious

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
Farewell!

Goodbye AV123! Now that the forum is going to be nuked, there's just no reason for me to ever go back. It's a shame, there was some good info in those old threads.

I'll remember the good times when I listen to my X-series speakers and try to forget the bad times.

As for MLS, all I can say is Karma baby, Karma! You pulled the wool over my eyes. I thought you were one of the good guys and told you so several times. :( At least I didn't lose any $ in any of my dealings with AV123.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if the bumbly one will have a sit down with Anita Koch to discuss his resignation as president of AV451?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, excellent point Chu. I haven't fallen for their bait again, but I was interested in what their trade in deals would be. Since I live in CO, I wouldn't have to have anything shipped, I could save a good amount of money. I really don't know if Danny has said anything yet about this new line, but I also haven't searched. Still as you said, it is entirely fair to discount anything they say. Shifty is still involved with the company from what they released, so that is enough for me not to support them.
I am not really hell bent on ID brands, I am just hell bent on good gear at resonable prices.
Well the used market might be interesting to consider. Never know what shows up on Craigslist (besides MLS selling stuff that is).

What speaker ID brands would you say fall in the categories you described?
I don't know your price range but Ascend and the AudioInsider come to mind as pushing the envelope. Both Fabrikant and Lane are individually skilled in speaker design unlike MLS and deal with reputable suppliers and not something coming from a dirt floor masquerading as a factory. The thing is, neither really have super active forums, but then neither is quite the freak show barker that MLS is.

Haha, that hooker metaphor was great. Hilarious
But she gives such great deals to returning customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis