Digital Audio Cables: Optical or Coaxial?

J

Justin D

Is there any difference in the sound quality delivered by coaxial and optical cables? I currently have AR coaxial cables and I was just wondering if it would be worth it to buy optical cables?

One more thing, is there a noticable difference between AR and Monster cables?

Thanks.

U

Unregistered

There is no difference in sound quality between optical and coaxial - they both transfer digital audio using S/PDIF. Consider these factors when making a choice:

- Coax cables are more rugged and often provide a more snug fit because they use RCA jacks.
- Coax cables are better for long runs.
- Coax cables MAY be susceptible to picking up EMI/RF interference because they are wire.
- Coax cables are usually cheaper than optical.

- Optical cables are slimmer and the connectors (Toslink) are smaller.
- Optical cables are not susceptible to EMI/RF interference because they transmit the data using light.
- Optical cables are not usually very good for long distances (poor signal strength when converting from electrical to optical - though not usually a problem unless the run is very long)
- Optical cables are more expensive than coax.

As for AR vs Monster, you have to decide if the price difference is worth it. One may be better constructed than the other, but in terms of getting the bits there and sound quality, there is no discernible difference.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Actually the optical cables should be preferred for longer runs as they have less loss than a coax. Probably a non-issue for short runs though.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
zipper said:
Actually the optical cables should be preferred for longer runs as they have less loss than a coax. Probably a non-issue for short runs though.
Well they would be if the optical signal was stronger and they did not use plastic. However since the laser used is of low power and they use plastic the signal degrades very quickly. You can use boosters and repeaters to extend the range. But with standard equipment coax will go farther easier.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
Laser? Thats not a laser in there - plain ol' light running in multimode - the cost of putting a true laser in the manufacturers would balk at. Looking at min. of $150 extra. The types used in networking (which are true lasers) are around $1500 (and up)

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Actually its usually just an LED right?

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Not sure exactly what the stereo industry uses for a light source,but with a quality FO conductor you can shine a flashlight in one end & pick it up a couple thousand feet away. I don't know what the quality of the FO of interconnects for stereo is. Much has to do with the quality of the lense used & the quality of the splice.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For what it's worth, when going via toslink, there are at least two additional conversions the signal has to go through. Once, from electrical to optical at the source. The other at the receiver/DAC end where it;s converted back from optical to electrical.

In any case, its SHOULD be simply zeros and ones and the less steps it goes through, the better the signal should be. The way these digital thingies work is that they generally work or they don't. There's no in between.

On the whole, coax is cheaper, easier to run, makes a more sturdy connection and is cheaper. Oh, did I say that already?

I'd consider tosling only if I had major electrical interference problems that affected the sound, which don't really exist in a home environment unless maybe you're Dr Frankenstein, or else I had no more coax I/O available.

U

Unregistered

Silver Serpent

I strongly suggest coax. I definitly heard a difference when A/B comparing the two. Tosilink is better for long runs or if you have a lot of interference. BetterCables Digital Coax is superior to Monster. I had Monster and bought BetterCables Silver Serpent. Within the first few minutes I knew I wouldnt be using the Monster any more. The sound is much smoother and much more detailed. Comparable prices at bettercables.com

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I feel you should go with coax. But if Toslink you want, be sure to go with glass if you can. Cables America used to sell 'em for $26, but they recently went up to about $60. Nice cables, though.

R

remmib

Enthusiast
extra D to A?

One earlier post mentioned topslink requires extra DAC ( Digital to Anaglog conversion). Is that really true? My assumption is that the DVD player picks up optical signal from your CD/DVD and directly output to the optical interface, then your receiver takes that digital optical signal and perform DSP directly and then do a DAC to power the speakers. Regardless of digital optical or digital coxial signal, it should go through the same steps on the recevier side. On the DVD player side, I would think topslink even saves a step from converting the optical pick up to digital coxial signal? No? Anyone know how DVD players or receivers handle digital signals?

U

Unregistered

remmib said:
One earlier post mentioned topslink requires extra DAC ( Digital to Anaglog conversion). Is that really true? My assumption is that the DVD player picks up optical signal from your CD/DVD and directly output to the optical interface, then your receiver takes that digital optical signal and perform DSP directly and then do a DAC to power the speakers. Regardless of digital optical or digital coxial signal, it should go through the same steps on the recevier side. On the DVD player side, I would think topslink even saves a step from converting the optical pick up to digital coxial signal? No? Anyone know how DVD players or receivers handle digital signals?
It does not require an extra DAC, but it does require an extra device to convert optical to electrical. However this is not a DAC.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
markw said:
I'd consider tosling only if I had major electrical interference problems that affected the sound, which don't really exist in a home environment unless maybe you're Dr Frankenstein, or else I had no more coax I/O available.
I would have to agree.

Unless you're worried about interference I would go with the coaxial. That is the only benefit fiber has over coax. Also, trust me, coax will be better over longer runs. The optics used in home theater systems are no where near the strength of industrial optics and you will get signal degradation over long runs, mind you they would have to be pretty long. However, the longer you run the coax the more susceptible to interference it will become.

So, I would have to go with coax.

U

Unregistered

What does it do Digital Optical cable?

I would like to hear from folks that know what they talk about. OK so here it is Digital Optical cable. I have a coaxial conect and a optical?
First Timer

U

Unregistered

What is your question?

What is your question? If its whether to use optical or coaxial, read the thread.

As for what they do...
They transfer digital audio from a source such as a DVD player to the receiver. Digital cables are required for mult-channel sound like Dolby Digital or DTS.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unregistered said:
I have a coaxial conect and a optical?
That depends on the units involved. Most do. Look at the backs to check it out or, now here's a novel idea, check the owner's manuals.

U

Unregistered

Problem with digital optical cable

My old DVD player had both digital coax & optical; I used coax. That DVD player broke and my new one has only digital optical. I can't seem to get any sound using the digital cable I bought. Standard RCA works, but obviously doesn't get me where I want to be. Any thoughts?

U

Unregistered

Optical Cables

Do Optical cables go bad?
I have a receiver and a dvd both about 5-7 yrs old

THe optical cable or one fo the connections i think is not working

I used coax and the audio works fine

So
Can something suddenly happen to opitcal cables

Julius Edlavitch
edlav001@tc.umn.edu

D

docferdie

Audioholic
"Do Optical cables go bad?"

They exhibit wear and tear just like any other component. Changes in environmental temperature can in time cause cracks in the polished surface. The optical fiber can break. I'd say the main culprits for cable breakdown would be gravity and environmental temperature.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis