Digital Audio Cables: Optical or Coaxial?

S

sea_dragons

Audiophyte
remmib said:
One earlier post mentioned topslink requires extra DAC (Digital to Anaglog conversion). Is that really true?
Is there ANY DAC going on before a signal heads from a DVD or CD out a toslink connection?

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

Enthusiast
Nah. As far as I know there is just a DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chip that decompress MPEG or MLP or whatever to LPCM and then it sends it directly to output. It's all in the digital domain. The whole idea is about passing bitstream as it is to your receiver's/amplifier's DACs (i.e. to another DSP in receiver which distributes the LPCM to each channel DAC).

S

Sergio

Coax vs Optical

just a question on this one, my receiver has plenty of optical inputs but does not have a coax (digital signal input) just the regular left-right connectors. any suggestions? I would preffer going fiber since i have all tha cables but most of the new DVD dont have optical outputs.

many thanks

Unregistered said:
There is no difference in sound quality between optical and coaxial - they both transfer digital audio using S/PDIF. Consider these factors when making a choice:

- Coax cables are more rugged and often provide a more snug fit because they use RCA jacks.
- Coax cables are better for long runs.
- Coax cables MAY be susceptible to picking up EMI/RF interference because they are wire.
- Coax cables are usually cheaper than optical.

- Optical cables are slimmer and the connectors (Toslink) are smaller.
- Optical cables are not susceptible to EMI/RF interference because they transmit the data using light.
- Optical cables are not usually very good for long distances (poor signal strength when converting from electrical to optical - though not usually a problem unless the run is very long)
- Optical cables are more expensive than coax.

As for AR vs Monster, you have to decide if the price difference is worth it. One may be better constructed than the other, but in terms of getting the bits there and sound quality, there is no discernible difference.

U

Unregistered

Radio Shack and others sell optical to coax and coax to optical converters as well as switches that accept multiple inputs and have multiple outputs. You could use one of them to get the job done.

Most of the newer dvd players I've seen have both optical and coax digital outs. My Onkyo dvd has both.

U

Unregistered

Sonicwave Digital Coax Cable

I'm completely new to the world of digital audio. I need a 12 foot digital cable to connect my new home theatre system to my laptop's digital audio out. Someone on this site recommended Cables America's coax. They sell a 12ft cable for $30 (http://www.cablesamerica.com/product.asp?cat_id=6005&sku=29725).
I see that roughtly comparable (at least, to a novice) cables sell on monster.com for $70+. Is it really worth the extra money for the monster cable or another high-end brand?
I ask especially in light of the fact that my music collection is all 256kbps classical & jazz. Higher quality than most MP3's to be sure, but still not CD-quality. Given this, how much of a difference will something better than this $30 cable make?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I would go for the low priced spread.

Name recogintion pays grand dividends. Just ask Bose. Many times people prefer the comfort of a name they are familiar with, even if it costs more and is no better than others.

It's not uncommon to find lower priced alternatives to Monster brand products that perform at least as well as Monster. In fact, it's quite common.

Don't forget, with Monster you're paying for a marketing juggernaut which doesn't add anything to the sound, aside from the "ka-ching" of the cash registers that is.

U

Unregistered

Opitcal Audio - 2 outputs To 1 input ??

Can anyone tell me how to get the toslink optical output on my HD-DVR and the toslink pptical output on my DVD player, connected to the one toslink optical audio input on my surround sound reciever? What is the easiest, least expensive way to do this? .. Is there a switcher or something?

U

Unregistered

Several comments above said that one digital cable type is preferable for long runs. Anyone know how long a run before it makes a difference?

TIA

U

Unregistered

coaxial to optical

I have a new Mitsubishi DLP WD-52525 and unfortunately it only has a coax digital output. I say unfortunately because my a/v receiver only has optical digital input. I have seen the mention of the coax to optical converters, but was wondering if anyone has had any experiece or should I say luck with them. Any input is appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis