Audyssey MultiEQ XT

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
People have argued with me over the years in how good this room correction is. Years ago I found it terrible in my square 15' x 16' x 8' room. It's crossovers, levels, and distances were all wrong besides it's sounded shrill, harsh, bright and irritating. I tried several times and results were always the same. That was with my 2011 Denon AVR-2312ci's Audyssey MultiEQ XT.

So I now have a Denon AVR-X2800H with the same Audyssey MultiEQ XT so I decided to try it out once again. I did manually set up my system with a calibrated sound level meter with C weight and Slow response. I also measured out with a tape measure, all the speaker's distances.

The great thing about the new Denon models is that they have 2 speaker setting presets. So I left my hand setup on Preset 1 and Audyssey on Preset 2

Well I wanted to get a fair estimation on how accurate this Audyssey is so I only used one listening position, testing it 5 times for overall accuracy. This is where I hand calibrated the system.

I do have 3 sets of headphones that had their frequency response tested by a reputable lab and they are all fairly flat and obviously have no room modes to interfere with their frequency response.

Well I have to say this receiver's Audyssey is better but not by much. The distance calculations were within .5 ft which is pretty good. The subwoofer was off by 4.5' but bass can be tricky.

The sound levels were actually really good mostly within .5 db of my hand measured levels except the Subwoofer which was way off at -12 db. This microphone and Audyssey system can't be used for Subwoofer setup as it's very very inaccurate in the bass frequencies which messed up everything in the speakers as well. This is the same characteristics I seen in my other receiver which is pretty disappointing as people think these are good systems to use. I have 2 hand sound level meters and the oldest one which hasn't been calibrated in years, is about 2 db off from the caibrated sound level meter in the bass frequencies.

Also, you can see where this Audyssey inaccuracy in the bass has just ruined the rest of the room correction. Besides the subwoofer level being off, it set my center speaker to have a 40 Hz crossover which is just insane as it's bass is low before that point. Then it actually set my Elac bookshelf speakers to full range which they have a tested and measured -6db at 46Hz!! Definitely not full range!

I did adjust everything correctly as Audyssey couldn't. I set my bookshelf and center speakers to 80Hz as the subwoofer does all bass duty, and setup my subwoofer level to be -4db below the main speakers. it did drop the main speaker levels to -3db. As I said, taking that into account, all levels were correct except the subwoofer level.

Now here's what threw everything off. It jacked up the equalizer setting really bad! Jacked up the low bass about 8db while bringing 80 - 100 hz to 0db killing any bass punch in music. Then it lowered the lower and center midrange frequencies making voices sound thin and not natural. It then jacked up high midrange and treble to near 8 db again.

Everything sounded horrible, bright, fatiguing, hollow, thin, and harsh.

I did run Audyssey again to have the same results.

This is the same result I had with the older 2011 Denon AVR-2312ci!!

So I thought well, I know my headphones are flat except having a universal boost in the bass across all frequencies. Headphones sounded great nothing like the horrible sound I got from Audyssey.

Heres another thing, I have small surround satellite speakers that have a rated bass rolloff of -3db at 135 Hz. The Audyssey set their crossover at 100Hz, where an optimal crossover is between 120H to 150Hz.

Since the Equalizer jacked everything up to +8db, even with main speakers set at -3db level, the speakers were still louder when doing an A/B comparison with Preset 1 (hand calibrated) and Preset 2 (Audyssey calibrated). Preset 1 sounded great, and natural, not artificial sounding as the Audyssey setup.

This is just a horrible system and I know some love theirs but I honestly can't see how anyone could listen to that horrendous noise that Audyssey makes of the music and soundtracks. Hopefully it's just my room and Audyssey is incompatible with square rooms because I don't want to question everyone's hearing. :) .

Unfortunately, Audyssey's terrible performance mirrors what I had on my other Denon AVR-2312ci in the same room.

Tell me it's just incompatibility with square rooms. If so, they should state so in their documentation.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sub "distance" isn't necessarily physical distance but rather accommodating inherent delay. Your adjustments of level seem odd. XT is okay, but using the editor app with it would be better (or a unit with XT32).

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Personally, I don't miss trying to calibrate my systems with a handheld. IMO, that approach did a horrible job. Especially with the subwoofer. My experience was Aud (xt32) did a pretty darn good job. Perfect? No, but within minor tweaking to my preferences. The subs were pretty darn good for music. The blend was seemless. I wanted a little more kick for moves, but it was a relatively minor adjust (3-6db, not 12). Audssey was even able to tell me that I wired one of speaker's polarities wrong.

My room is square.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According to some sound acoustics research done years ago, if the Length/Width is 1.15 to 1.45, then it’s considered good room acoustics.

So 17.3 x 15.0 room is 18/15= 1.15.

21.8 x 15 room is 21.8/15=1.45

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Sub "distance" isn't necessarily physical distance but rather accommodating inherent delay. Your adjustments of level seem odd. XT is okay, but using the editor app with it would be better (or a unit with XT32).
Yeh, I wasn't too worried about subwoofer distance as phasing can determine a different "virtual" distance. I was just very disappointed the most in the horrible equalizer settings for each channel that made the speakers sound so harsh. Of course, you can't adjust the "audyssey" made equalizer adjustments.

The subwoofer level was definitely incorrect as I have calibrated that level with my 2 hand held meters, one being within it's calibration period. The other out of it calibration period, but only off by about 2 db in the bass opposed to the calibrated hand meter. Not bad since it's over 20 years old. The new one was just purchased in the last year.

I calibrate electronic transducers everyday, so when something doesn't calibrate correctly, I deem it defective.

I guess I'll just give it the excuse that it can't work with my room, even though it should be able to. Given that this is the second receiver with MultiEQ XT that showed the same incorrect results, it's definitely the Audyssey.

Glad everything sounds so excellent with just manual distance and level measurements, and sensible crossover settings, that Audyssey isn't needed. I've had so many compliments on how realistic and natural my system sounds, it really doesn't need much else, but always trying for the fun of it.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Personally, I don't miss trying to calibrate my systems with a handheld. IMO, that approach did a horrible job. Especially with the subwoofer. My experience was Aud (xt32) did a pretty darn good job. Perfect? No, but within minor tweaking to my preferences. The subs were pretty darn good for music. The blend was seemless. I wanted a little more kick for moves, but it was a relatively minor adjust (3-6db, not 12). Audssey was even able to tell me that I wired one of speaker's polarities wrong.

My room is square.
Glad it worked out for you. It did do the basics OK, it just could do anything else correctly.

After trying with 2 receivers now with horrible results, I'm done with room correction toys.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Glad it worked out for you. It did do the basics OK, it just could do anything else correctly.

After trying with 2 receivers now with horrible results, I'm done with room correction toys.
Kudos to you for getting it to your satisfaction with a handheld. I used that method from the mid 90's to around 2010 when I got an AVR with Audssey. I'm sure, like all technology handhelds have improved along with the signals that are sent to the speaker from the AVR. My meter did horrible with the sub.

Not sure why it's so far off for you? I did have to run it few times varying the mic locations until it was what I deemed good. My first tries the results weren't to my liking. That's to be expected.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis