Denon or Onkyo or ???

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The ONLY thing about Yamaha that is pissing me off right now is that I can't get any Yamaha RX-A3080 or RX-A2080 for my clients. It would have been nice if Yamaha had kept production of these models going. :D
I had a very interesting discussion with my Yamaha insider about AVRs....
Firstly, the factory has started production on certain new Aventage models, starting @ the bottom. Higher end Aventage models are pushed back, mainly due to slow delivery of crucial internal components, plus wanting to optimize their HDMI 2.1 validation and performance. In light of this their factory in Malaysia is planning 1 more mass production run of 3080s scheduled for mid-December, the 2080s are done and now discontinued. Another factor for mass production is the coming of the Chinese New Year(in February, 2021) which can/will affect the delivery internal components from China. Note that about 70% of the internal components are from China.

Just my $0.02... ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I totally forgot about the 696's lack of analog video inputs. If you need them, look elsewhere.

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
I agree with maz. The 3600 is the AVR darling right now. Great receiver. 8k is nothing to worry about. For a Loooooong time. Especially if you’re not gaming. I would recommend operating them each in person if you can. Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo make fine sounding receivers. But navigating each of their menu systems is totally different. I enjoy Onkyo and denon(my AVR is Marantz)and loathe yamahas menus. They also have their own language, and proprietary settings and it’s just unnecessarily confusing. They sound the same as the rest. What you’ll notice sound wise is audyssey vs ypao vs accueq. NOT the brand.
Everybody has their favorite. Check your TV specs, but I do not believe your model supports eARC or HDR10+. If you are happy with your TV and plan to keep it for a few years, I wouldn't chase HDMI 2.1 spec AVR's as they will not give you anything more than you need. I've used many Denons, a Yamaha and am currently using an Onkyo TX-NR777 that is very similar to the TX-NR696 save for Dolby and DTS virtualization. If you are planning on using more than a 7.1 or 5.1.2 speaker setup, you need to consider a 9.2 and up AVR. That will cost you. I don't see value in a Denon BELOW the X3600H as they lose features, not the least of which is Audyssey XT32. I got stung by the Yamaha while owners of Aventage models swear by them but the 2019 models are just gone. The Onkyo TX-NR696 will be the most familiar to you while the Yamaha may be the most foreign. If you like streaming music, consider the built in apps for all models as well as any smart phone control apps. I like the Onkyo Smart phone app and liked the Yamaha Musiccast app. The TSR-700 was not compatible with the Yamaha Control app but that may have changed since I had mine. More info about your TV may help. Are we talkin' HU6950 or NU6950?
Thank you. My TV is a 43” NU6950 from Costco. My leaning right now is the TXNR696 but I don’t want to make a dumb decision. It looks more user friendly. I’m pretty sure from reading the responses that 8K is not a high priority; eARC might be future insurance but the TV doesn’t support it; don’t know about HDR10+. The speakers are bookshelf Boston Acoustics mcs100 with a blown subwoofer. 5.1 plus stereo zone 2 is as far as I go. I might consider the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack as a total upgrade replacement or the purchase of a decent sub. What do you think??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you. My TV is a 43” NU6950 from Costco. My leaning right now is the TXNR696 but I don’t want to make a dumb decision. It looks more user friendly. I’m pretty sure from reading the responses that 8K is not a high priority; eARC might be future insurance but the TV doesn’t support it; don’t know about HDR10+. The speakers are bookshelf Boston Acoustics mcs100 with a blown subwoofer. 5.1 plus stereo zone 2 is as far as I go. I might consider the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack as a total upgrade replacement or the purchase of a decent sub. What do you think??
Is your old avr still functional? Maybe get the sub taken care of first if it is or is there some specific functionality you need now that your old one doesn't have?

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Everybody has their favorite. Check your TV specs, but I do not believe your model supports eARC or HDR10+. If you are happy with your TV and plan to keep it for a few years, I wouldn't chase HDMI 2.1 spec AVR's as they will not give you anything more than you need. I've used many Denons, a Yamaha and am currently using an Onkyo TX-NR777 that is very similar to the TX-NR696 save for Dolby and DTS virtualization. If you are planning on using more than a 7.1 or 5.1.2 speaker setup, you need to consider a 9.2 and up AVR. That will cost you. I don't see value in a Denon BELOW the X3600H as they lose features, not the least of which is Audyssey XT32. I got stung by the Yamaha while owners of Aventage models swear by them but the 2019 models are just gone. The Onkyo TX-NR696 will be the most familiar to you while the Yamaha may be the most foreign. If you like streaming music, consider the built in apps for all models as well as any smart phone control apps. I like the Onkyo Smart phone app and liked the Yamaha Musiccast app. The TSR-700 was not compatible with the Yamaha Control app but that may have changed since I had mine. More info about your TV may help. Are we talkin' HU6950 or NU6950?

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Is your old avr still functional? Maybe get the sub taken care of first if it is or is there some specific functionality you need now that your old one doesn't have?
The AVR is functional but has developed 60 cycle hums on all speakers especially in the front left satellite. It is sending out-of-control base frequencies to that speaker as well. I contacted Onkyo and was told the 606 needed service. I called service and was told it wasn’t worth spending close to $200 to fix and still have a 12 year old receiver. Shopping for these things is crazy trying to get the right level of receiver without going overboard - that’s why I’ve enlisted Audioholics inputs. I appreciate the insights.
Enough rambling. Why would it be better to fix the missing sub first?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Yes you could spend a few hundred less or a few hundred more. But nothing compares to the Value vs. Features of the 3600

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Yamahas aren't mass market products unlike Denon, which is a mass market and sells in tons but doesn't maintain it's quality.

I never had issues in my Denon, but it was. Mediocre in any source I played. Denon's sound is more towards highs and recessed mids. No midbass/mids.
If you like thin sounding recievers and overwhelming highs Denon is for you.

For balanced, natural sound Yamaha is the one to go for.

Yamaha also rates their recievers in 2 ohms. Ypao for me has done a wonderful job for my Elac debut 2.0 speakers, with Audyssey my speakers always sounded thin or dull.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I’m a fan of Chocolatey miss. My bright Klipsch speakers and bright Denon 3600 sound pretty Chocolatey to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The AVR is functional but has developed 60 cycle hums on all speakers especially in the front left satellite. It is sending out-of-control base frequencies to that speaker as well. I contacted Onkyo and was told the 606 needed service. I called service and was told it wasn’t worth spending close to $200 to fix and still have a 12 year old receiver. Shopping for these things is crazy trying to get the right level of receiver without going overboard - that’s why I’ve enlisted Audioholics inputs. I appreciate the insights.
Enough rambling. Why would it be better to fix the missing sub first?
I had reviewed your OP and it didn't exactly say it had gone poof yet.....did you try resetting the older unit? I would assume they'd ask you to do, but....

Just sometimes an upgrade to keep things functional isn't necessary, thus my question....and with a broken sub....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think anybody can argue the merits of the X3600H. I loved my Denons and my Klipsch speakers of old but sometimes a budget is a budget. I think the 696 will get a sale price of $499.99 or less soon and it is by no means a bad buy. Now, if you have a different budget for speakers, I'm sure these guys can get into an argument over those as well. :p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I saw the Klipsch and Yamahas at Costco again the other day. It's easy to want to get it all in one lump. The TSR-700 sounds good but mine had issues. But, it is being sold incomplete as many features will not be activated until a future firmware update and it does have some bugs now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis