Denon or Onkyo or ???

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can attest to the poor Denon/Marantz WiFi Remote app. When I was using Denon's, the remote app and AirPlay WiFi streaming worked probably less than 50% of the time (same AT&T 1 Gbps Fiber Optic Internet).

The Yamaha AV Controller and MusicCast WiFi apps have been working flawlessly 100% of the time for me ever since I switched to Yamaha.
For me it’s been the opposite with my Marantz. I don’t use the control app much but when I do it’s been fine. Airplay has been flawless. Save for a couple times I needed to restart my phone lol. Not app’s fault. iPhone XR’s fault.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The ONLY thing about Yamaha that is pissing me off right now is that I can't get any Yamaha RX-A3080 or RX-A2080 for my clients. It would have been nice if Yamaha had kept production of these models going. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me it’s been the opposite with my Marantz. I don’t use the control app much but when I do it’s been fine. Airplay has been flawless. Save for a couple times I needed to restart my phone lol. Not app’s fault. iPhone XR’s fault.
I rely on the WiFi Remote Control 100% of the time because my equipments are in the closet. So if the WiFi Remote doesn't work, that's a huge (1st World) issue. :D

If the DM WiFi remote works for people 100% of the time, that's great. Or if they don't need to use it at all, then it's not even an issue.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wanted to try the A2080 but no can do. My local Bestbuy has a used one with no cord or remote control for over $900! F#%kin' theives. :mad: The other local Yamaha dealer has nothing left and can't get anymore.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
The ONLY thing about Yamaha that is pissing me off right now is that I can't get any Yamaha RX-A3080 or RX-A2080 for my clients. It would have been nice if Yamaha had kept production of these models going. :D
Yamahas aren't mass market products unlike Denon, which is a mass market and sells in tons but doesn't maintain it's quality.

I never had issues in my Denon, but it was. Mediocre in any source I played. Denon's sound is more towards highs and recessed mids. No midbass/mids.
If you like thin sounding recievers and overwhelming highs Denon is for you.

For balanced, natural sound Yamaha is the one to go for.

Yamaha also rates their recievers in 2 ohms. Ypao for me has done a wonderful job for my Elac debut 2.0 speakers, with Audyssey my speakers always sounded thin or dull.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I like to cut out the middle man and use an AVR's built in music apps. I like em' ethernet connected and not getting a wireless stream from another device. I use the control app most of the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course you know I love you! Just had to zing you a little. Only because you’re probably the most vocal. You can take a good ribbing though so I thought I would.

I wasn’t even gonna post but I have experience with all brands and @Sachb posted that for music the Yamaha would easily trump the denon. I know this is not true. Even though he cited bracing and integrated components that would make the Yamaha better, its marketing bs. IIRC you’ve even said your Yamaha gear sounds the SAME as your Denons. No? The app suggestion could be valid, but I’ve used my Marantz app and it’s been just fine. I normally like hard buttons so I don’t have to look away from the screen.
Also, Sachb please tell me you don’t still have your CC on top of your receiver!
I know you were just giving me a hard time. :D

But yeah, I've said it many times that Denon/Marantz and Yamaha will sound equally awesome. So the reason for wanting one brand over another is not because of SQ for me.

As with any AVR or AVP brands, it comes down to whichever works best for us. If DM works better for you, then go with that. The same with Yamaha.

I know some people say that some brands sound better than another brands (some even say Marantz sounds better than Denon :D), but that's not my experience at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamahas aren't mass market products unlike Denon, which is a mass market and sells in tons but doesn't maintain it's quality.

I never had issues in my Denon, but it was. Mediocre in any source I played. Denon's sound is more towards highs and recessed mids. No midbass/mids.
If you like thin sounding recievers and overwhelming highs Denon is for you.

For balanced, natural sound Yamaha is the one to go for.

Yamaha also rates their recievers in 2 ohms. Ypao for me has done a wonderful job for my Elac debut 2.0 speakers, with Audyssey my speakers always sounded thin or dull.

It definitely seems like Yamaha works much better for you. That's cool.

Yamaha has been working much better for me. I see proof of it everyday.

But for people who have experienced Denon/Marantz working much better for them, that's cool too.

There is a system for everyone. Everyone is different.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted to try the A2080 but no can do. My local Bestbuy has a used one with no cord or remote control for over $900! F#%kin' theives. :mad: The other local Yamaha dealer has nothing left and can't get anymore.
And to be fair, there is no guarantee that you would like even the RX-A3080 over the Denon's.

We all experience something different. We all continue to support a brand/company until we experience something bad.

What we do on this forum is share our experiences. It doesn't mean that one brand always sucks and the other brand is always better.

But it is ridiculous when I have clients "lining up" to buy the RX-A3080 (and A2080) and dealers like myself can't even sell them any. It's frustrating for both dealers and clients. So far this was my first "negative" impression of Yamaha. It might not even be their fault because of COVID-19. But it happened anyway. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just wanted to thank @Sachb for the entertaining comments about differences. Somebody's been drinking the cool-aid....

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I just wanted to thank @Sachb for the entertaining comments about differences. Somebody's been drinking the cool-aid....
I'm sober af, you need to actually listen to both and do an a/b comparison, you'll be suprised with the tonal quality of the yamaha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sober af, you need to actually listen to both and do an a/b comparison, you'll be suprised with the tonal quality of the yamaha.

No, I won't. I've listened to plenty and own several brands, it isn't special. You do parrot the marketing somewhat, tho.....I especially liked the one about vibration control....tonal quality isn't bad either. Yamaha receivers aren't mass produced LOL. You need more experience/knowledge it seems. Good luck.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
@AcuDefTechGuy , have you tried the party mode on the Yamaha?It's so much better than multi channel stereo on the denon avrs. It just sounds like my ears have been surrounded by music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy , have you tried the party mode on the Yamaha?It's so much better than multi channel stereo on the denon avrs. It just sounds like my ears have been surrounded by music.

Uses multich stereo....and talks about sound issues? Good grief.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am in need of a replacement for my Onkyo Sr606 12 yrs old. I was interested in the new Yamaha (especially the Costco clone) until I read about the HDMI board issues most likely requiring a physical replacement. I am considering Onkyo TX-NR696 and a Denon X2600H soon to be on sale at BestBuy. I know these are 2019 versions without 8K. What do you advise. These 2 along with the Yamaha V6A are similar price points (except for the rebadged TSR-700). I’m interested in what would be a good direction to go. Thanks a lot.
Sorry about the sachb distraction.

As far as a new unit I'd also lean to the Denon 3xxx series and above myself to get a full set of pre-outs and the XT32 feature set, or maybe an Marantz unit with the similar feature set if priced right. I'd probably pass on Onkyo/Pioneer these days (altho I do own an older Onkyo as well but that was when they used Audyssey, which I think is more capable than AccuEQ). Their merger with Pioneer and their change in US distribution I'd let settle out and wait for next generation of products which might be interesting if they incorporate Dirac as has been announced. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/onkyo-and-pioneer-receivers-getting-dirac-live.119357/

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, there he goes. How did you get out of your room, Mr.? I'll bring you your oatmeal in a minute. Now, go crank your Victrola and pipe down.:p

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
No, I won't. I've listened to plenty and own several brands, it isn't special. You do parrot the marketing somewhat, tho.....I especially liked the one about vibration control....tonal quality isn't bad either. Yamaha receivers aren't mass produced LOL. You need more experience/knowledge it seems. Good luck.
You clearly haven't tried the yamaha, just followed the chain of audiophiles who created a hype once ago.

Well then, enjoy your crispy sounding denon, I won't comment hereby.

Btw, I have owned 2 of the Denon X series(X500, X2300W) and have had it for 6 years respectively.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You clearly haven't tried the yamaha, just followed the chain of audiophiles who created a hype once ago.

Well then, enjoy your crispy sounding denon, I won't comment hereby.

Btw, I have owned 2 of the Denon X series(X500, X2300W) and have had it for 6 years respectively.

LOL you crack me up. Detail your comparison technique and I might care.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Getting back to the OP's situation and considering his budget, I would still recommend the 696. It is a worthy successor to his Onkyo and a considerably better Yamaha or Denon will cost much more. But, they all have s#%ty remote controls compared to his old Onkyo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis